Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cold storage tips?

I have a 1999' mint condition 996 with 100K miles. I live in the Midwest and our winters can be brutal. I do not drive the car in the winter so it sits covered up in an unheated garage.

I've talked to a couple people. Right now once a week I start the car and just let it idle for 20 minutes. My thinking is this lubricates the internal seals and keeps everything coated with a layer of oil inside.

I let the car idle at full temp for 10 minutes or so to make sure the exhaust is good and hot to burn off condensation. If we get a break in the weather with no water or salt on the road I may take it out (couple times during the winter months is usual frequency).

I have a battery tender on it but prefer to have it charge itself up during these once a week runs.

I've talked to two different Porsche mechanics: One says this is the perfect way to store it while the other suggests I may be doing more harm than good running it once a week in idle for 20 minutes.

What are the thoughts of the experts on here about storage and running the engine weekly?
Old 02-10-2018, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pessemist View Post
I have a 1999' mint condition 996 with 100K miles. I live in the Midwest and our winters can be brutal. I do not drive the car in the winter so it sits covered up in an unheated garage.

I've talked to a couple people. Right now once a week I start the car and just let it idle for 20 minutes. My thinking is this lubricates the internal seals and keeps everything coated with a layer of oil inside.

I let the car idle at full temp for 10 minutes or so to make sure the exhaust is good and hot to burn off condensation. If we get a break in the weather with no water or salt on the road I may take it out (couple times during the winter months is usual frequency).

I have a battery tender on it but prefer to have it charge itself up during these once a week runs.

I've talked to two different Porsche mechanics: One says this is the perfect way to store it while the other suggests I may be doing more harm than good running it once a week in idle for 20 minutes.

What are the thoughts of the experts on here about storage and running the engine weekly?
What you are doing is the worst possible thing, starting and running the car while it is in storage helps foul the oil with moisture and fuel, breaking it down and allowing acids to form which will attack the bearing surfaces. What you should be doing is changing the oil and filter just before storage, adding Stabil to your fuel system, clean the car from top to bottom more, hook up a quality battery maintainer, and then just let it sit until spring.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
What you are doing is the worst possible thing, starting and running the car while it is in storage helps foul the oil with moisture and fuel, breaking it down and allowing acids to form which will attack the bearing surfaces. What you should be doing is changing the oil and filter just before storage, adding Stabil to your fuel system, clean the car from top to bottom more, hook up a quality battery maintainer, and then just let it sit until spring.
Thank you the excellent advice. Definitely will follow it.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
How Long should you idle b/4 driving

Hi Folks
Looking for some advise since the post above discusses warm up.
Location So Cal temp at start up 50degrees.
On start up Oil Pressure is 5 bars. until 150+ degrees on temp gauge

Q:? how long should Idle / Warmup before drive off ?

I typically wait a few min b/4 drive off

Thanks for the feedback Mark
Old 02-20-2018, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

In those temps you car drive off right away. Having said that, it doesn't mean redline rpm's when you drive away. The car will warm up under slight loading (normal city driving) better than sitting and idling for a long time.
Remember Warren Hall. Contact me for your Warren 'Early S Man' Hall memorial decals.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Tony
Thank you for the feedback , new rule > will be 1 min .

Follow up Q:? with the oil so cold and the pressure so high.
why would you not want to have the oil pressure lower (car warmer) ?

I live 2min from the Freeway, this is my typical route is straight to the freeway @ 3k+ RPM -

maybe you could offer a brief explanation. any feedback is appreciated

Thank you Mark
Old 02-21-2018, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

What grade oil are you using? Might be too thick for winter maybe?
Since youre so close to the expressway, and higher speeds, then Id warm up a bit more than a minute.
In a normal street drive with stop and go traffic the car will warm up gradually plus the trans warms up too. Idling mostly warms engine oil and coolant after about 10-12 minutes.
Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: