Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Another Temp Guage Question

Here is my situation... 1999 Porsche 911 C4

I went to the race-track and overheated the car... after that when I started the car when it is cold the temp pointer is pinned to the right and the light blinks slowly, but after a little bit of driving the temp pointer reads temp accurately and light turned off.
After completing the following "fixes" when I start car cold the light blinks fast and the temp pointer is to the right, but after a little bit of driving the temp pointer reads temp accurately and the light blinks slowly. If I start the car warm the only thing that happens is the light blinks slowly.

To fix the initial issue I did the following:
Replaced the coolant tank,
Replaced the reservoir CAP with the black one
Replaced the coolant level sensor
Replaced the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
I also tested the engine compartment blower and it works fine.

My only guess is that the wiring on the coolant level sensor is broken. When I replaced the tank I noticed the old one was not mounted in the car and was able to flop around.

Any ideas?

Thanks

1999 C4 996 911

Last edited by mckress; 05-18-2018 at 03:11 PM..
Old 05-18-2018, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If the light is till blinking you probably have air in the system. There are a lot of
coolant lines and gravity bleed won’t necessarily work. You need to pressure test to ensure you have not cracked a head. The 3.4 cars are prone to head cracks when the engine overheats.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks... sounds like a typical user error issue... looks like I need to get it professionally flushed... my home done gravity flush may have left some air pockets. I'll keep you posted,
Old 05-21-2018, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
coolant , guage , temperature gauge