Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Tip Won't Go into Drive

After lunch today I put my 996 C4 Tip into R and backed up out of my parking spot. Push the button with my foot on the brake and it went down four spots but the dash showed N and wouldn't let me move. So I put it back in R and backed up out of the parking lot and into a spot I could use to figure out what the hell was going on.

I tried turning the car off and on, pushing the gear selector stick hard to into P, etc. For over 20 minutes, I messed around with it. Then BOOM.. it goes into D and I haul ass home.

Anyone have any idea as to what happen or is happening?

Brian
Old 05-21-2018, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Small update...I pulled up the tip gear selector cover, nothing I could see was jammed or etc. I then went ahead and jacked up the passenger side of the car, and fiddled with the cable that runs to the TIP and sure enough the cable just didn't move to the next position at the TIP. I cleaned off the grease that runs along the guide the cable rides in. Which type of lubricant should I apply to the end of the cable? or other suggestions?

Brian
Old 05-22-2018, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Hmmm don't quote me, but I believe you should use dielectric grease. Hopefully another member chimes in and can confirm.
Too many Miata's to count.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Typically you don't want to lube cables that are plastic lined. It invites debris to stick to it and gum things up. I can't speak directly to your concern but that is a good rule of thumb.
Remember Warren Hall. Contact me for your Warren 'Early S Man' Hall memorial decals.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: