Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Crank Position Error P0336. Cannot correct...

I did a full engine rebuild on an 01' Boxster S 6sp this winter. Took my time, $8k worth of parts from Pelican, should last a lifetime from here...

Now reassembled, but engine will not start (arghh).

1) First checked fuel pressure, zero. Appears DME not telling fuel pump to kick-in. Fuel pump works as I can hardwire it and get 60psi. Even after creating "manual bypassed" fuel pressure, car will not start. Thus no spark.?

2) Heard issues of relay issues with DME, Fuel Pump, & Ignition specifically. Checked these 3 Relays and they were fine, but I replaced them regardless.

3) DME giving error code P0336 "Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance". So I replaced the CPS. The logical culprit. But to no avail. Still getting same code and no start. (I have reset the codes just to be safe, but it comes right back after you try to start).

All of this might suggest a wiring problem. But, no electrical issues before the rebuild, no damage to the wiring during rebuild or reassembly. Triple checked every connection in the engine and its all buttoned up tight electrically. This is a low mileage nice-weather only car only so no corrosion in the system.

Cars electrical system seemed perfect before the rebuild.

Im at a loss.... ideas, anyone?

-Mike

Old 05-31-2018, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

There are three triggers for P0336; a break or short in the CPS wiring harness, a bad CPS sensor, or a dead or dying DME.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
JFP, I feel like a owe you a beer or three for the guidance.

- CPS is new. Both old an new exhibit the same problem.
- I pulled the 3 wire harness lines from CPE to DME. All checked out fine for continuity. Also resistance across the 2 lines with the CPE installed is at spec (~0.9 kOhm).
- Must be a DME? DME was working fine when I started disassembly. Battery disconnected throughout the build. Never touched the electrical. How often do DMEs fail??

Head scratcher...

Last edited by Mike Petersen; 06-02-2018 at 11:30 AM..
Old 06-02-2018, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Petersen View Post
JFP, I feel like a owe you a beer or three for the guidance.

- CPS is new. Both old an new exhibit the same problem.
- I pulled the 3 wire harness lines from CPE to DME. All checked out fine for continuity. Also resistance across the 2 lines with the CPE installed is at spec (~0.9 kOhm).
- Must be a DME? DME was working fine when I started disassembly. Battery disconnected throughout the build. Never touched the electrical. How often do DMEs fail??

Head scratcher...
Not frequently, but they do crap out if there was a short in the system.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Wanted to close out this thread with a resolution in hopes it helps someone else.

The crank position sensor and the cam position sensor share the same connection type. One is black, one is grey. Given the layout of the wiring loom you can, as I have found, connect the crank position sensor wire to the cam position sensor, and vice versa.

Problem solved. Although somewhat embarrassed to make the simple and amateur mistake!
Old 06-12-2018, 03:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Petersen View Post
Wanted to close out this thread with a resolution in hopes it helps someone else.

The crank position sensor and the cam position sensor share the same connection type. One is black, one is grey. Given the layout of the wiring loom you can, as I have found, connect the crank position sensor wire to the cam position sensor, and vice versa.

Problem solved. Although somewhat embarrassed to make the simple and amateur mistake!
You are not the first, and you won't be the last...ÖÖÖÖ.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: