Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Replacement Engine Problems

Hi all. A little background on my project: The engine went out on my '99 996 so I started looking around for a replacement engine. I found an engine from a local Porsche shop in NY that only has 8500 miles and has been stored for several years. The price was right so I bought it and had it shipped to California.

Fast forward to the problems > Installed the engine and started it. Had some smoke initially but eventually cleared up. The first thing I noticed was that there is a definite miss while idling. I placed my hand over the exhast tips and I can feel a pulsation on the left side. There is also a lot of smoke that comes out when I start revving the engine at higher rpms. The smoke disappears when idling. At this point I'm already worried about the overall health of this low mileage engine. I then performed a compression test on all cylinders and all cylinders had about 125-130 psi except of #2 which only had about 100 psi. All plugs have nice burns on them and absolutely no oil present on the spark plugs. This is why it perplexes me because if the engine is burning oil at higher rpms, then the plugs should be fouled, or at least be very dark. Likewise, if the engine has a low compression cylinder, isnt it also true that the plugs will be fouled and have oil residue on them? With all this happening, the check engine light came on and it's been flashing ever since. Of course, I dont have a reader so I have no idea what the error codes are.

Do any of you guys think I might be missing something or is this pretty much an indication of a bad engine? I would like to exhaust all avenues before I call the shop that sold me the engine and tell them the situation.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:51 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Honestly, I would post this in the engine forum, if you haven't already.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:46 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yeah, I posted it also at the 911 forum. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:24 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

if the check light is flashing, that mean you have a misfire. i would locate which cylinder is misfiring and do a leak down test
Old 04-22-2008, 09:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

if a Porsche Dealer put it on there Diag. unit you would be $125.0 lighter and very well informed. Then you could make the right decision.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:20 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Well, got it to run right. It seems that one of the injectors was leaking. Replaced that with one of my spares from the old engine and this essentially new engine runs like it should with only 8,000 miles. I initially had a problem with my cats because of all the gunk that the old motor was dumping on them. Drove the car about 200 miles and passed SMOG with flying colors.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:04 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

how much time did you spend to fix the problem?
Old 05-03-2008, 08:14 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdsgt3rs View Post
how much time did you spend to fix the problem?
Probably around 6 hours.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:10 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: