Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 996/997 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Front Crankshaft Seal

Just had my Front Crankshaft Seal replaced today. I was wondering if that is a common problem. 2001 996 Carrera with 32K miles. There was some seepage outlining the shape of the seal but no leaks on my garage floor. Also concerned if this indicates future problems involving the IMS and/or RMS. Also had the drivers side window regulator replaced. Seems like pretty low mileage to have these things go bad, but the window mechanism does appear to be prone to issues because of the way the glass drops slightly when opening the door and raises back up when closing the door. Anyone else had experience with these issues? Thanks for any replys.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Windows are designed to drop before opening and raise to seal after opening. I guess that might give extra wear. But it does give a good seal when the doors are closed.

Then any bearing has to be expected to have a slight seeping due to heat and all.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. I am sure that the window design contributes to lowering the coefficient drag. Juat thought the wear factor should be lower. I test drove the new Genisis coupe and was surprised to see the same window design function. Maybe other cars have it too. It does create a tight seal and lessens wind noise at speed not to mention the improved sleek appearance.
The front crankshaft seal was the only area with any seepage. I would think there would be some showing where the engine connects to the transmission (RMS) but that area was dry. Interesting.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:25 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

Yup, a new regulator can solve some funky window problems - just replaced the one on my Boxster after trying to adjust the heck out of it and getting no good results. New regulator, and it worked perfectly.

As for the seal, I haven't heard that this is a major problem. The good news is that it's easy to get to. I have a tech article coming soon on the IMS bearing, keep a lookout for it...

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 03-26-2010, 11:08 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

He Wayne thanks for the reply. I had the work done by a local Indy. I would'a made it worse if I tried the DIY thing. Hope it stays working for awhile as it started making noises at around 25K. Pretty early I thought but who knows.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:03 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Regulator cables stretch and cause all kinds of problems. Fairly common by age of the vehicle.

Front crankshaft seals are not common at all on non-turbo or GT cars. Was it actually dripping, or just a dusting of oil and dirt?
Old 03-29-2010, 04:57 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Thanks Jamikast for the reply. My 996 is the plain version no turbo or GT. No visual dripping on my garage floor and it is a daily driver. My Indy told me that any slight dripping was blowing away as the car was driven, leaving evidence on the crankcase area. He put it on a lift at the PPI with 22K miles on it and showed me what appeared to be a dampness forming made up of dust, oil, and dirt. I bought the car in because after driving the car for about 20 miles and putting the car in my garage there was a distinct odor like burnt rubber. He suggested a four wheel allignment and the seal replacement. This is with 33K miles now. After having the recommended work done I still smell the odor, but not every day. Had the coolant flushed, coolant tank and cap replaced, oil changed, fuel rails cleaned, new tires, and still the odor. I think it smells worse after expressway driving the car at relatively higher RPM's, not sure of the source though. The temp needle is usually vertical or a little to the right of vertical. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:18 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The rubber smell is from tire "dust" getting on the hot mufflers that live right behind the tires. It doesn't take much to make it smell.
Frank
Old 03-30-2010, 07:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thank you FPB. I have read that somewhere else as well. I hope that is all it is. At times the odor is pretty strong when I pull in the garage at night and I look to see if there is any smoke coming from the rear tire are. None so far. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:09 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The smell is probably the usual cosmolin baking on the engine. It's a grease the factory puts on the engine to protect the aluminum from oxidizing. Cosmolin is the same stuff used on guns and other stuff stored for extended periods. It's a thick type of grease that stays on pretty good even when heated repeatedly like you have noticed on your car. 11 years on my car now and it still bakes the cosmolin for that smell.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:18 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Interesting concept Pacific. There is so much to learn about these cars. I started following the 911 over 40 years ago when I was stationed in Germany for 18 months. A facinating automobile to say the least. I still learn some new interesting factoid every time I go on line. Thanks for responding.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:17 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: