Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

The Jammed Seat From Hell

Thanks for responding Wayne.

Yes....it is one hell of a stuck seat.

Even the manual release on the upper back rest does not release the upper seat. It is very difficult to know if there is power going to the seat motors, but I have not done a electrical test on any of the wires. There are a few. I do hear a click when I use the forward and reverse seat switch and tilt, then a delay and then another muffled click, but I have not blown a fuse since day one. I have tried to feel for vibration in the motors while I use the switch, but I just can't tell. The lumbar support switch and motor work fine. I have removed the rear star bolts and can force the seat up for some access. Used very long needle nose pliers to remove the front abs plastic track trim from the tunnel side (it had shifted from its location and split apart) I don't know if this was the initial jamming problem. I have removed the braided drive "wire" from the "tilt" motor drive system and the electric motor will run free in one direction when the switch is used. I have tried to rotate (with vice grips) the lateral main axle in which the forward and reverse cogs move in the the tracks...but it is stuck fast. The access to the drive motors and transmissions are extremely limited, and I doubt I could remove them without destroying a lot of expensive parts. At the front and under the seat there are a number of black zip ties used to secure the wiring. Neatly done...but somewhat un-Porsche like. Evidence of previous issues ?

Should I open up the seat memory panel and check anything electrical ? Is there a relay or circuit board for the seat controls and motors not under the seat ? Can I hook up a bypass circuit...just to move the seat back to get access to the front track bolts?
I will add some pics to show my situation this afternoon. I appreciate your concern and assistance. Thanks for the offer of "special" tools... I just might need them.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:03 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Here is a pic of said issue.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Gosh...taking a digital pictures is a hell of a lot easier that jamming your head down there. Notice anything amiss ? I used a chunk of 2 X4 to jack up the rear of the seat.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:55 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

996 Seats out....now the fun part

Just took out the drivers seat yesterday....that was fun. 6 hours plus. Wait till you see the damage you can do with a drill and grinder under the body Well...I can fix that fairly easily.

There is no damage or anything jambed in the rail system that I can see. I have checked one of the electric motors by running a 2 amp and then 10 amp 12 volt dc power source through it. Nothing no movement at all .... Four wires, brown (ground), red, black (postive), white (negative) ? Seems simple..... I will check all motors first. Then what ?
Old 04-18-2010, 10:28 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: