Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 996/997 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
1999 996 O2 codes and running very rich

P1121
P0160
P1117
1999 996

I don't think there is an easy answer to this but I figure I would try before admitting defeat and taking my girl into the doctor. I recently had my CEL come on and it was throwing an MAF code along with a P0160. Since I sprayed out my MAF about a year ago, I decided to replace it, and got the above codes.

I replaced my bank 2 post cat sensor, which was on the topside of the exhaust on the drivers side (pipes cross in the back)...let me tell you it was tough to get out, even with an 02 tool. But I got it and replaced it with a a Bosch O2 sensor, same number and all. Cleared the codes and still I get the same.

Also, I can nearly watch my fuel gauge moving, I burned about 1/3 tank on a 40 mile trip... (I know we can all do that when we try, but this time I wasn't trying, I was driving sensible!!)

From all of the reading I have done, this seems to be an electrical issue. I am not very well versed in ohms, volts and amps I am afraid. Am I at the end of my DIY path on this one? Any suggestions...is it possible the new 02 sensor is bad? It was bought from Pelican.

If it is DME, I have not been able to find any posts on the replacement.

Thanks in advance for all of the help!
T
Old 02-24-2012, 09:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
After Further research, I came across a Fuel System Relay Part# 141-951-253-B-M5206 (Multi-Function Relay (DME)). Does anyone think that the solution could be as simple as a $6.00 part??
Old 02-25-2012, 09:50 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Issue resolved....

I wanted to post an update to my issue
I took my girl to my mechanic who was a bit perplexed since the O2 Sensors on bank 1 were getting juice but bank 2 was not, so he was able to rule out the DME since there is a single wire that splits into 2 from the DME to the O2 sensors...

He had to practically tear out the interior to get into the wiring harness and low and behold...about 6 inches were missing from 4 wires basically behind the back drivers side seat. It seems a mouse or something crawled up there and wanted a German nest!!
Photo P1 shows chewed insulation
Photo P3 shows the wires.

Lucky for me, my comprehensive insurance covered the 2100.00 tab less the deductible.

This weekend, I am going shopping for a cat!!

Good driving to all!

Old 04-30-2012, 06:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Wow, something like that happened to my 2000 Nissan Maxima. A mouse ate the main computer terminal to the engine and built a nest in the plenum. We bought an electronic rodent deterrent, a little box that makes a high frequency sound that supposedly keeps rodents away. Put the box in the garage. That and our outside cat have kept our vehicles safe since.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:47 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Old 05-01-2012, 02:47 AM

Tags
996 , o2 sensor , p0160 , p1121 , rich mixture

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: