Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 996/997 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

IMS upgrade Needed?

I have 2001 C2 cab. Have a mag drain plug. Just changed oil after 5k and had 2 small bits of metal on it. Is the IMS about to fail? Can the car be driven 250 miles over mountains to the nearest dealer? Have a closer option on flat land. AJRS who specializes on air cooled P cars. He didn't sound like he likes the newer cars much and I'm not sure if he has done a IMS retro fit before. What should I do
Old 04-09-2012, 03:53 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If you want to be really safe, cut the old oil filter open and inspect it for metal there. We had a 2002 996 come into the shop today that needs a motor now. Customer said he heard a clicking sound. He parked the car and said that there was a puddle of oil under the car. He towed it in. No oil on the dipstick. I put enough oil in to show up on the stick then it started pouring out of the bell housing area. (not a good sign) I then drained the oil and cut open the oil filter and it was full of metal. Lots of metal! The motor still runs but sounds horrible.
1974 VW Thing (my latest project)
Old 04-09-2012, 05:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Forgot to mention that I did cut open the filter and didn't find anything in it. Just 2 pieces on the plug about 1mm at the largest. Definitly iron based stuff though. Any other steel in the motor that it could come from?
Old 04-09-2012, 06:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have been finding very small metal particles (dust like particles) on the magnetic drain plug for years in other cars as well as my 996.....

They look like the particles in the magnets when you drop a transmission pan...it is normal....

A different strory is when you find metal (little chunks) all over the place, including the filter...
'87 MGM (Gone)
Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Was 2 small chunks. Not flake or dust. Did have the fuzz around the magnet too. Got a quote from my nearest dealer (250 miles one way over steep mountains in CO) of $2100 for IMS, RMS, and installing my clutch. Seems reasonable. Other issue I have is my car is a transitional from 2 row to 1 row. Have no idea which bearing kit to get? Will try and drive it there. Don't think it is going to blow up right away with the small bits, but don't know how far it can go?
Old 04-10-2012, 09:01 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Here are some pics of the metal I found in the 996 filter yesterday. It is a considerable amount of debris! The last picture was taken this morning after the filter had some time to drain off the oil.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:10 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Stick a fork in that one..............
Old 04-10-2012, 10:53 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I don't thing I'd want to drive that 250 miles anywhere...

Edit: sorry, two different cars we're talking about.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:29 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Have decide to use a local garage. They will let me work on it with them. Have done lots of work on my 944, like timing belt and waterpump rr. Would do it in my garage myself, but really wanted to use a lift and trans jack. Going to do the clutch, rms, and ims while it is apart. Just found the Pelican ims kit. Lot less $s than the lne. Wish me luck.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:28 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryslick13 View Post
Have decide to use a local garage. They will let me work on it with them. Have done lots of work on my 944, like timing belt and waterpump rr. Would do it in my garage myself, but really wanted to use a lift and trans jack. Going to do the clutch, rms, and ims while it is apart. Just found the Pelican ims kit. Lot less $s than the lne. Wish me luck.
You are going to need it, because with that amount of metal in the engine, replacing the IMS is only going to delay the eventual engine failure, and is throwing good money after bad. One of the biggest issues with doing the IMS is that you must do it before it fill the engine with circulating metal debris; once the metal had scattered all over the engine, it has to come apart to be cleaned out and flushed of the metal. Just one piece of that junk circulating in the engine can tear up a rod or crank bearing and lead to very permanent problems.

Check the LN and Raby websites, they are both very clear on why you should not do the IMS upgrade on an engine already full of metal…………..
Old 04-13-2012, 12:19 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Those pics above are not from my engine. I only had 2 small pieces of metal on a drain plug. Filter was clean when I cut it apart. Think I caught it very early.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:38 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

We had another car come in a couple years back that had "almost" that much metal in it and the customer chose to continue with the LNE bearing upgrade. Its still on the road! Believe it or not but true. We advised to replace the motor. I have pictures of that one too but they are not here on this computer. I'll try and upload them Monday.
I have no experience with the IMS bearing upgrades available here on Pelican so I can't say they are good or bad. I do have experience installing the LNE IMS bearing upgrade. Top notch engineering, quality, and installation instruction material included.
Just sayin.... You get what you pay for.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:17 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

OK. Need to know, on average, how many shop hours will be involved to do the clutch, RMS, IMS? I have all parts in hand and the LNE IMS bearing removal tool. Also have full set of torx bits, clutch alignment tool, and clutch cylinder bleeder attachment. Any other specialty tools required for this job?
Old 04-18-2012, 09:04 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Time wise about 9.5 hours. Don't forget the special tool to pin the crank in TDC. Take the bottom and side tensioners out. (don't mix them up. They're different)
Old 04-18-2012, 09:24 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I'm pulling the old motor out of the 02 996 today. Can't wait to see what it looks like once I get the flywheel off. This thing is a mess underneath!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:29 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by syncroid View Post
I'm pulling the old motor out of the 02 996 today. Can't wait to see what it looks like once I get the flywheel off. This thing is a mess underneath!
I'm interested in buying the engine.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:16 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I'm interested in buying the engine.
Its going back to Porsche as a core.
This is what I found when I pulled the transmission and clutch package off.

And you just never know what you will find on top of an engine.

Here is the new one waiting to go in.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:53 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Got the work done at Porsche of Colorado Springs. Had AAA coverage to tow it. Premium coverage will tow one time up to 200 miles. Cost $264 to do the remainder of the tow. Shop that was 90 miles away was booked up for over a month and said it would take 30 hours shop time! PCS shop got my car in quick and the car was ready 2 days later. I supplied all the parts. Replaced clutch, AOS, RMS, and IMS bearing. No problems with the Pelican bearing kit. Total cost of labor was $1500. Seemed like a fair price. Car runs great now need rear tires as I wore them to the cord.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:28 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Just saw where you already got it back, glad its running fine now!

Last edited by mattdillon; 06-01-2012 at 09:46 AM..
Old 06-01-2012, 09:34 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

syncroid, maybe I missed something. Is this a Porsche replacement engine? If yes, what are they going for now?
Old 06-01-2012, 02:04 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: