Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 996/997 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

CDR -220 key issue

I was trying to pull my radio out far enough to see what plug is attached to the Cd changer in location.

I slid a key in on both sides horizontally in the front bottom of the radio. I could not get the left key to engage at all. The right key slid in and engaged but don't feel like it released anything inside the radio. I do not feel like the radio came loose at all.

How do I now get the key back out of the radio? It does not want to come loose for me.

Note: the flat side of the key is facing outword is this correct?

Last edited by barlowdo; 04-28-2012 at 07:04 AM..
Old 04-28-2012, 07:02 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Don't they go vertically on the sides? Nevermind.

"Removal of the radio is fairly straightforward. The removal tools are inserted into the two flat horizontal slots at the bottom edge of the fascia until a click is felt. The radio can then be withdrawn and the leads unplugged."
Frank

Last edited by FPB111; 04-28-2012 at 06:09 PM..
Old 04-28-2012, 06:05 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks. I have been reading post after post on doing this task. Most folks have no problem at all pulling the unit out. Others like myself find it jammed in.

Most recently I found a post stating the keys are not symetrical. That was the first I ever heard of that.

Maybe I got the keys in backwards and that is why things are tight.

Some other suggestions are to squeeze the rings toward the center of the radio, drop the center panel out and also pull from that area.

I am still getting nowhere with getting this radio out. I will post on the Boxster forum and see if anyone has an idea.

Meanwhile does anyone know if the horizontal decorative piece that is found just below the radio has to come off first? I stuck a putty knife in between the radio and the decorative piece and came up against a stop which leads me to believe the radio extends down and behind the horizontal decorative piece.

And how do I remove this decorative piece if it has to come off ?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by barlowdo; 04-30-2012 at 06:37 AM..
Old 04-28-2012, 08:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

To answer some of my questions:
The horizontal trim piece does not have to come out.
The keys I bought did not have left/right markings and as far as I can tell work in either side.
I tried putting a screw driver on either side and it did not work.
Another poster suggested wearing leather gloves. I tried this and my fingers would not fit through the ring hole. I then just wrapped the small finger of the glove around each and put my finger through the ring and up against the leather. After some back and forth up and down motion I got the radio to come out a 1/4 of an inch. Note: I drove the car for a few days in between and maybe this helped to loosen the radio.
The radio pushed in just as hard as it pulled out and I even put some Teflon lubricant on the radio chassis.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:27 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Old 05-07-2012, 03:27 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: