Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Out Of Control

Garage
Cool Can a 2004 Engine replace a 2002?

I did a precursory search and didn't find anything regarding my question so I hope I'm not asking an obvious or Over-asked question. I have a 2002 C4S which I purchased with a blown engine (IMS complete failure). I am going to check out a 2004 996 3.6L Engine from a car with front end damage so I'm hoping the engine is good. What would be needed to put a 2004 996 into my 2002 C4S? Also, my C4S has a manual transmission where as the 2004 has a tiptronics auto tranny, will there be a problem using my flywheel and tranny?

If I purchase the engine, I will definitely have the IMS checked/replaced and possibly install the IMS guardian. Anything else that anyone suggests I replace on the 2004 engine?

Plenty of summer left to get my C4S running and hit the streets with it!

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:10 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
This will be a direct swap, just bolt on your flywheel & clutch. Use the original DME.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:57 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Replace the water pump if it has not been replaced yet on the 2004 engine.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:58 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Out Of Control

Garage
Thanks BYProdriver and Kurt. I appreciate the information and the quick response. I hope I can get this engine at a reasonable price so I can get the car on the road. Its killing me to see the carcass sitting on my driveway every time I go outside. Before I covered it I washed, clay bared, and coated it with wax so I hope it will only need some minor TLC when I take off the cover.

Any other suggestions beyond replacement of the water pump and IMS??

Thanks!!
Old 07-11-2012, 05:24 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Out Of Control

Garage
Ok, somethings just came to mind and I know someone knows the answers to these questions. On the 2004 3.6L Engine, how is the engine # formatted? I know my 2002 starts with M96/03. Does the 2004 start with 996 or is that the part number? Also, are there any issues with the DMV (In CA) with the replacement of an engine (not that they even need to know) . . . Someone told me it is "illegal" to install an older engine into a newer chassis . . . but not a problem installing a newer engine into an older chassis.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:51 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstPorsche View Post
Ok, somethings just came to mind and I know someone knows the answers to these questions. On the 2004 3.6L Engine, how is the engine # formatted? I know my 2002 starts with M96/03. Does the 2004 start with 996 or is that the part number? Also, are there any issues with the DMV (In CA) with the replacement of an engine (not that they even need to know) . . . Someone told me it is "illegal" to install an older engine into a newer chassis . . . but not a problem installing a newer engine into an older chassis.
M9603664----- on a 2004 just above the oil pan. The engines are essentially identical so I would not mention it has been replaced to the DMV. I believe you must install the newest emissions equipment whether it be from the oem engine or the new engine & in no case can the vehicles emissions exceed original limits.
If you bought the car out of state & wait 90 days to bring it into CA, you don't have to pay sales tax.

Last edited by BYprodriver; 07-11-2012 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 07-11-2012, 06:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Tags
2002, 2004, 3.6l, 996, c4s

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: