Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche Autocross and Track Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Location: behind the redwood curtain, (humboldt county) california
Garage
Shift coupler upgrades??

I am going to have my 915 gone through and am looking for advice on the best shift coupler. I am going with the Renshift, rather than the Wevo, because it seems a more complete, adjustable assembly.
Which coupler, in your experience, does the best job?.
I am upgrading the suspension and brakes, modestly, and am looking to improve on the precision and air cooled experience.
I may win the lottery and be able to do a high compression ITB EFI, but as I creep along trying to make the car more immediately responsive and direct, I am looking for advice to be more one with the car, by doing the best parts.
This is my dad's 74 coupe. I'm going to install a GT lsd and occasionally do a bit of DE events, with Dunlop direzionales.
Thanks,
Chris, (70 year old phat phugger :-)
Old 07-10-2018, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I used the $21 kit from our host and it solved all of my problems.

You're more than welcome to spend a lot more money if you want.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Location: behind the redwood curtain, (humboldt county) california
Garage
New stock is good, but how much better are the aftermarket upgrades?.

Thanks Mike for the link. My old boss, one of the early volkswagen importers used to see me wrenching on my 914 hot rod and say, "Stock is Best".

With the eye watering costs of a missed shift/over-rev in our cars, particularly racing or DE events, is there enough improvement in the aftermarket couplers to warrant the expense. How much improvement, beyond new stock parts is there?
I know this is not quantifiable and new parts are ascribed as magic, particularly when replacing worn out 30-40 year old parts.

So, I'm looking for some experienced opinions.
Can't wait to get the 74 back on the road.
Chris
Old 07-14-2018, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I haven't used anything other than a stock coupler with fresh bushings, works great on street & track. It can be finicky to get the adjustment right, but not impossible. I can't see how a new $200 coupler improves 915 shifting. Maybe it does but i'm spending my money elsewhere.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: