Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Autocross and Track Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat077 View Post
I did DE's for 7-8 years and racing is a whole lot more fun !
I did DEs for 20 years (started in 1993) and have been racing since 2014. Yeah, WTW racing is sensory overload compared to a DE.

Having said that, I have been racing in Champ Car (formerly Chump Car) and love it. One benefit is seat time ROI. I raced at Sebring last weekend and even with the lightning delay, I got 3.5 hours of seat time - probably 95% of it green flag. And some of it in the rain. At night. Another benefit is lower cost of entry. Don't get me wrong - there'e no such thing as "cheap" racing - but you can have a huge amount of fun (in a 944 if you want to stay with a Porsche) for not a lot of money.
22/29 torsions, 22/22 adjustable sways, Carrera brakes
Old 09-26-2018, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Following up on IROC's sentiment, how much experience does the OP have? A solo'd driver at least I hope? Sensory overload will be an important issue. If you are not already comfortable driving a track, adding 20+ cars in close proximity with less structure when it comes to passing and "where'd he come from" awareness may be a bit overwhelming.

Also to the OP how many DE day's do you do a year? Would it be a straight swap of days from DE to Racing? Are you looking to merely "add" racing to your schedule?
1978 911SC, 1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 11-07-2018, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Tired Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer View Post
Following up on IROC's sentiment, how much experience does the OP have? A solo'd driver at least I hope? Sensory overload will be an important issue. If you are not already comfortable driving a track, adding 20+ cars in close proximity with less structure when it comes to passing and "where'd he come from" awareness may be a bit overwhelming.

Also to the OP how many DE day's do you do a year? Would it be a straight swap of days from DE to Racing? Are you looking to merely "add" racing to your schedule?
Valid questions and things I have considered. So far, I've done 1 PCA DE (Solo'd with compliments from my instructor), 12 TNiA, and 3 open track days with open passing.

I know I have more to learn. So, I plan to significantly ramp up the days on track next year (with additional instruction) while I earn a PCA license and shop for the right car. Ambitiously, looking at 25-30 days on track next year, hitting 5-6 different tracks. I expect life will interfere and reduce that number.

Early this year, I recognized that traffic tended to pull my eyes from where they should be. So that was one of my areas of focus this season. I'm better, but not where I would like to be yet.

I haven't had a "where'd he come from?" moment in a long time. With my car, I am usually slower than 95% of the cars on track. (until we get to the twisty parts then it drops to 50-60%)

I use track notes I've made along with video to "practice" for hours before every track day. Not quite the same, but it helps cement the brake, turn in, track out points in my mind. Oh, and I learn the flag stand locations, too.

Any advice on what else I should do to prepare is appreciated.

Current plan is to start racing in the 2020 season.
Support vehicle - '00 Suburban 2500 4x4
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 11-07-2018, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
The best prep now is seat time. Get in 20+ track days next year and get top drivers in your right seat as coaches. When possible, get in their right seat for a session every weekend.

Get data and learn how to use it to improve your skill. Swap data with someone in a similar car to compare and understand your strengths and weaknesses. Learning performance driving is like learning any new sport. It requires practice, repetition, and evaluation.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Glen, I have a complete bolt in Autopower roll cage, legal for club racing.
Bought new years ago, fitted in a 944T chassis, all parts letter indexed for reassembly.
Cage removed, sanded, acid primed and painted Alpine white.
Reinstalled, project sat for years.
Car was stripped for parts for a separate 944 build.

It's posted in a thread started by my user name here on Pelican.

Make offer.

Have a good set of rear Leda coilovers there and a never used OMP race seat, same thread.

T
Old 11-10-2018, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

BTW - we field one of the fastest SP2 cars in the country.

Happy to help you if I can.

T
Old 11-10-2018, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: