Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Autocross and Track Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
Hillclimbs in Pacific Northwest

This forum area seems a bit dead...

I have been autocrossing about 11 years now, and hillclimbing about 5 years.
I am president of Bridge City Autosports, an autocross club here in the Portland OR area.
I am also the secretary/treasurer for the Northwest Hillclimb Association - we put on a series of hillclimbs in the PNW. Think Pikes Peak, except ours are typically about 2 miles long. All paved.

We have a few Porsche people who attend, but not very many. We have a great variety of cars that come out - from stock to purpose-built. We use primarily SCCA Solo classing, but also accept GCR classes, SOVREN vintage classes, and we have several NHA Special Classes as well.

My very first hillclimb was in an 84 944 that I bought cheap and autocrossed hard.
My first event, first run ever up the hill, ended (actually began with) a spun rod bearing.
Not long after, we bought a wreck 951 to do a chassis swap. Well my shop burned down during that project, and a year later I bought my 951S.

It was quite modified at the time, but also falling apart. I bought it with a bad second gear synchro, swapped the trans the next day, and the next day autocrossed it. At that autocross, the power steering pump fell off, as did the BSB.
I went through it after that and did a bit of work, went with a Borg Warner EFR 6258 to replace the PTE 6262 from SFR, and various other things. Then two years ago I went widebody so I could fit 295 Hoosier A7 up front and 315 in rear.
Thats a compacted version of the story.

I have found the car quite competitive at the hills. I typically see an LS swapped RX7, and LS swapped Miata, two Vettes, a monster Evo, and a Monster STi ahead of me.
Now, that in mind, I also found that this is what I had been running on for several years:

So the car is down for an overhaul now. I'm building a 3.25T motor amongst a good deal of other things, and I fully expect to be at least a good step closer to the top of some of the events.

I run in Super Street Modified - an SCCA Solo class - which requires basically full interior. The two Vettes are in SSM as well, and the rest are in higher classes, so keeping up/beating them is more of a bonus because I'm stuck with a pretty big weight disadvantage. I have removed most of what i can in the interior, which is not a lot, and i have deleted AC and balance shafts, which helps some.

We have another 951 and a 944S that come out to a few of the events sometimes, and an older 911 and a 914.
I am running a 5R trans and the gearing is absolutely perfect for the hills. I can stay in 2nd through a lot of areas that others have to shift through, which always saves time.

Anyone in the PNW interested in coming out? =D

Northwest Hillclimb Association – Great Races in Beautiful Places

And here are a few videos:

Larison Rock Hillclimb, Oak Ridge Oregon - This was my first time at this hill, and I joined the "elite" under 2-minute club.
https://youtu.be/eOoTlOvVL1k

Maryhill Hillclimb, Goldendale WA - This is the most popular climb because its such a beautiful location. It's also a very easy hill to drive.
https://youtu.be/5UbTNyhOtzE

Freeze Out Hillclimb, Emmett ID - This was the first hillclimb of the year, my first after going wide body, and my first time at this hill!
https://youtu.be/iTHmJqw4Db4[

Last edited by PDX-944; 10-04-2018 at 02:59 PM..
Old 10-04-2018, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Cool stuff! I know that there are a few (past and present) 914 folks who have done the hillclimb thing and just loved it. One was down here in the SF Bay Area, but there may be some up your way. I'll try to remember to point you out to anyone I find talking hillclimbs in your area of the country.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-04-2018, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
Fantastic!
There are very few hillclimbs around the US. Our program has a very localized draw currently, but we are working on expanding. Theres no reason it cant draw from all over! We have a few that come from Canada and afar.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I helped watch corners at last year's Maryhill event. It's certainly something I'd like to try
Old 10-05-2018, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I'd be interested in trying this! I'm up in the Seattle area...

For some reason, I can't get the Northwest Hillclimb Association website to come up...
Old 10-10-2018, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrown View Post
I helped watch corners at last year's Maryhill event. It's certainly something I'd like to try
last year? you would have seen my car then! there were two maryhill events. august and September. September was the last event my car competed in because the clutch was slipping, it was cutting out due to the oil blowby, and third strike was one of the circlips/caps on the rebuilt balljoints that the p/o installed disappeared and I started having play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun View Post
I'd be interested in trying this! I'm up in the Seattle area...

For some reason, I can't get the Northwest Hillclimb Association website to come up...
Northwest Hillclimb Association – Great Races in Beautiful Places
the link in the first post worked for me... not sure why! you should definitely watch the schedule and come on out! its quite affordable (if you stay on the road) and a ton of fun.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
A couple of the guys I autocross with up here in Seattle have started hill climbing the last couple of years. I suspect they're running at your events. An anthracite 914 (Tim) and a green 944 (Alex)? I'm hoping to make it out to and event or two next year watch.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays with cars View Post
A couple of the guys I autocross with up here in Seattle have started hill climbing the last couple of years. I suspect they're running at your events. An anthracite 914 (Tim) and a green 944 (Alex)? I'm hoping to make it out to and event or two next year watch.
Yup I know them! Maryhill is a great one to spectate, you can see most of the road from the top. The rest have less visibility. But come on out!
Old 10-10-2018, 11:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: