Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Autocross and Track Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
It's a 914 ...

Cost of racecar paint job?

Curious to get some opinions on the cost of having someone do a racecar paint job. I am talking about a paint job that looks good from 10 or 20 feet away, definitely not a show car job. And I'd want to use a single stage paint to make repairs or respraying just a portion of the car easier (unless someone tells me my logic is wrong on that).

A few details about the car and the prep I hope to do myself before handing over to the paint guy:
- Full fiberglass body that is removeable in case that influences labor/cost (panels can be painted on car or off). The windshield frame/cowl and roof are the only other parts that require paint - they are not removeable. (No door jambs, no original fenders under the fiberglass, etc. to be painted.)
- I am doing all the mounting and fitting of the fiberglass panels.
- I am handling the repairs of the scuffs and other minor damage from shipping and storage of the panels. I'll also do filler to cover rivets, etc.
- I can also sand of the panels with 300 grit on an orbital sander.

For paint I'm envisioning something like the single stage paints that Summit Racing or Eastwood sell for ~$100/gallon.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Scott
Old 12-02-2018, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I had a small shop south of Seattle do mine last year for $3500. The car was nearly how you described. It was a fair bit of prep work, though. There were some rough spot he had to fix (I told him to) and filled in the original flag mirror holes so I could replace with smaller side mirrors. It even looks great close up, too! I'm sure with minimal prep you might find something between $2000 - $3000?

Single stage GP white.

Last edited by flat6pilot; 12-02-2018 at 11:08 PM..
Old 12-02-2018, 11:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Too many factors to know in your case.

I had mine painted in April, but I did 90% of the 930 rear flare work myself and had wet sanded then entire car. Zero rust on the car, nice clean chassis and body. Decent GP White paint. All glass out, bumpers off. So it was essentially a block sand, primer, wetsand, primer again then shoot the paint, cut and buff.

I was going to have the car painted 70's Ferrari Fly Yellow, but the paint was $800/ gallon, job would have needed 2 gallons so it was $1600 in just the paint itself. So I decided on Glacier White to better work with the Martini graphics. Paint shop donated the paint for my putting their logo on the wing and eventually on the top of the windshield so that save me $500. My paint guy is a small shop who does a lot of street rods, did my car as a side job and I still paid $2500 to shoot the car which was way cheaper than 2 other places wanted to charge me.

With the cost of materials and labor, it would be hard to get a decent simple paint job for under $3000

My work:

Painted waiting to be wet sanded and buffed:

Graphics applied.
'97 BMW 528i (the sensible car, bought new)
'12 Vintage/Millenium 23' v-nose enclosed trailer
Old 12-03-2018, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
You might also consider a vinyl wrap. They are pretty popular these days, and are usually less expensive than a paint job. They don't hold up for as many years as a half-decent paint job, but that may not be a concern on a race car.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-03-2018, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
It's a 914 ...

Thanks guys - appreciate the input. Sounds like about what I expected.

175K911 - does that spoiler/wing look familiar?
Old 12-03-2018, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stownsen914 View Post
Thanks guys - appreciate the input. Sounds like about what I expected.

175K911 - does that spoiler/wing look familiar?
Yup, and if you look really close inside the tail there's still a spot of red that never got white paint on it. Gotta love Pelican, amazing how many parts on my car came from others on here!

FYI- I talked to two places about wrapping my car, both were over $3,000. But that is Chicago area pricing too, might find it less other places. I would have painted my car myself if I could have found a good place to do it. So I consider the $$ I paid somewhat of a great deal. Nice young guy who's just been in business a few years, was prepping a Factory Five Cobra, an old Ford F100 pickup, and a 70 Charger recently when I dropped my step-daughter's 4wd pickup off for him to do some paint touch up work. Love giving business to hard working guys who take pride in the work they do.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Ed, your car look very good. Had no idea you went widebody!!

I am 100% with you on "giving work to hard working folks who take pride in the work they do!"

Cheers
Old 12-04-2018, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hey Jeff, thanks. Wide body, coilover, 3.6, Tilton/Fabcar dual MC for the 996TT brakes. Some of your parts in there too, I believe the fiberglass roof panel and the Rothsport cage started out in your hands?

I’m a huge believer in supporting hard working folks. My wife’s family runs a well respected furniture store in WI. Celebrated their 156 year anniversary this past weekend, her father ran the place until 15 years ago, handed the keys to her brother who just retired and handed the keys to his two sons, the 6th generation to lead the company.

I have a lot of respect and admiration for people who start and run their own businesses- like how you saw the need and created the 17” Fuchs and now Turn3. Or Charles Navarro with his world renowned LN Engineering IMS repair parts and his oil knowledge.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I had local Hot Rod shop give a quote of 3 to 5,000. to do final prep and complete paint.
This to was to be a race car......cost came over $10,000 but we settled on 10. I should have known by his quote "it will be good enough for SEMA"....He left for SEMA the day after it was finished. Best, Mark
2017 Golf Sportwagon 4motion
Old 12-06-2018, 03:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat6pilot View Post
I had a small shop south of Seattle do mine last year for $3500. The car was nearly how you described. It was a fair bit of prep work, though. There were some rough spot he had to fix (I told him to) and filled in the original flag mirror holes so I could replace with smaller side mirrors. It even looks great close up, too! I'm sure with minimal prep you might find something between $2000 - $3000?

Single stage GP white.

great looking tackcar. who made your bumpers they look to be the correct shape.

whats the name of this shop? I like to fill mirror holes as well.

thanks
Old 12-06-2018, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfaust View Post
great looking tackcar. who made your bumpers they look to be the correct shape.

whats the name of this shop? I like to fill mirror holes as well.

thanks
The bumpers are from Rennspeed, but I modified the ends myself to match the flares.

Shop is in Pacific, Wa. Ilya is the guy that painted my car.

DEMO AUTOBODY
364 Roy Rd SW
Pacific, Washington 98047
(425) 306-8285

Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/demoautobody/
Old 12-06-2018, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: