Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Autocross and Track Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Tired Member

Garage
Oil change frequency on a track car?

Track work is hard on an engine. It is being pushed very hard and usually at sustained high temperatures. It makes sense to me that one would want to change the oil more frequently on a dedicated track car than on a street car.

But what is the right frequency? I've heard some say, change it after every weekend on the track. Is that right?

And what about the oil filter? Do you change it every time you change the oil? I doubt the filter capacity is used up as quickly as the oil deteriorates. Not changing the filter would retain some of the old oil, but does it make much difference?

My track car is a 1985 944 NA with a stock 2.5l engine. So although I don't want to shorten its life, I could easily spend as much on oil and filters as a replacement engine (used) would cost. I'm looking for the right balance between protecting the engine and protecting the wallet. Advice?

Glenn
Support vehicle - '00 Suburban 2500 4x4
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 01-18-2019, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

I do three events per change. That works out to three times per year.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I do it every other event. Why not easy and relatively cheap.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Plus when you do it, it seems like you automatically go over the rest of the car as well.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Tired Member

Garage
Thanks, Jack and Patrick. That helps.

I will go 2 or 3 events per oil change roughly based on weather (heat), time on track and distance driven to the track.

I had budgeted for an oil change after each event so, with 34 track days planned this year, you guys just saved me a couple hundred dollars.

Glenn
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 01-20-2019, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

i agree with every 4 track days, esp in hot humid weather
Old 01-20-2019, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

34 track days in a year is very ambitious. I hope it goes well!
Old 01-21-2019, 10:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Northern Motorhead

Garage
Glenn,

That would seem like 10 race weekends ... you have any idea of the costs involved ?
I go through approx 60-80 liters of fuel on a three day weekend with my 944 , and if you're going to run R7's , we're talking at the minimum two full sets , not to mention a set of rain tires if you want to be on track on a rainy weekend.

Now calculate the $500- 600 dollar registration fees for each race weekend and all the extras and you'll be in for a 10-15 K season when it's all done , pending if you don't need to put $$$ in repairs along the way !
I'm fairly happy with 4-5 race weekends per season ... and so is my car ... lol

89 Coupe,Black,95 3.6 engine and the list goes on ...
1983 944 SP2 race car PCA #96
Old 01-22-2019, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Tired Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat077 View Post
Glenn,

That would seem like 10 race weekends ... you have any idea of the costs involved ?
I go through approx 60-80 liters of fuel on a three day weekend with my 944 , and if you're going to run R7's , we're talking at the minimum two full sets , not to mention a set of rain tires if you want to be on track on a rainy weekend.

Now calculate the $500- 600 dollar registration fees for each race weekend and all the extras and you'll be in for a 10-15 K season when it's all done , pending if you don't need to put $$$ in repairs along the way !
I'm fairly happy with 4-5 race weekends per season ... and so is my car ... lol
I calculated a budget of a little over $13K and I've been setting aside money for several months and will continue to do so throughout the year.

I'm running Proxes RR and will start the season with a set that has some life left. For rain, I will use my All Season street tires until mid-summer when I've budgeted to purchase a set of RA1 to use as rains. I've used the AS on the track in the rain and although not super sticky, they are predictable.

I do all my own maintenance. So any repairs are limited to cost of parts and my time.

Yes, it will be expensive and eat up many weekends and vacation days. But there isn't anything I rather be doing.

PS: I just picked up a couple seasons worth of VR1 at less half of than what I budgeted just for this year. So I've got that going for me.
Son's - '85.1 944

Last edited by DaddyGlenn; 01-22-2019 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: PS added
Old 01-22-2019, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I'm averaging about 3-4 track days (about 1500 miles combined driving) between changes.

At least you are only changing 4-5 quarts at a clip. I'm at 10-11 quarts each time.

Envious of 34 days. The most I even did was 13 in one season, and that was awesome. Enjoy!!

'82 911SC, SSI, 22/29 tbars, 22F/22R Adj swaybars, Bilstein Sport, Elephant polybronze & monoballs, Cambermeister bar, turbo tierods, Carrera oil cooler, front brake cooling ducts, Sparco Sprint 5 & Recaro SRD PAX seat, Teamtech harness, DAS Sport rollbar.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Northern Motorhead

Garage
You should also post on the Rennlist racing and DE forum , lots of traffic and knowledge there !

In my honest opinion , you should reduce your 34 track day expectations and concentrate on optimizing your car and it's capabilities ...
Unless you plan on being at the tail end of the grid at every event , you will scare yourself with used RR's as i found them to be 2-3 seconds slower than Hoosiers and driving a race in the rain with used four season tires is not only hazardous to you , but to the other people on track as well !

Feel free to pm me if you need some info on getting started with racing ... we all started somewhere and learned precious lessons along the way !

Old 01-23-2019, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Tired Member

Garage
Quote:
You should also post on the Rennlist racing and DE forum , lots of traffic and knowledge there !

In my honest opinion , you should reduce your 34 track day expectations and concentrate on optimizing your car and it's capabilities ...
Unless you plan on being at the tail end of the grid at every event , you will scare yourself with used RR's as i found them to be 2-3 seconds slower than Hoosiers and driving a race in the rain with used four season tires is not only hazardous to you , but to the other people on track as well !

Feel free to pm me if you need some info on getting started with racing ... we all started somewhere and learned precious lessons along the way !
Valid concerns. However, this year is all about improving my driving. All my events are DE or open track days. Assuming I improve enough, I'll trade my track car for a properly prepared 944 Cup car and try my hand at racing in 2020, with all the right equipment and appropriate schedule.
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 01-23-2019, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Northern Motorhead

Garage
Glenn,

Oh boy ... i thought you were jumping into racing ... lol
I did DE's for 8-9 years before i took the plunge into racing ... you will get to know your car and all it's quirks !
You're lucky to be able to squeeze in 30 or so track days , i think the most i ever got with DE's was 12-15 days depending on the years.I wouldn't be too concerned with the oil change interval then , a change after four events would be fine , especially since you got hold of a boatload of oil !

Toyo RR"s are a fine tire for DE's , they are very predictable and last longer than Hoosiers, i was using 888's for damp weather not full downpours though ...

Have a great season !

Old 01-24-2019, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Tired Member

Garage
Quote:
Glenn,

Oh boy ... i thought you were jumping into racing ... lol
I did DE's for 8-9 years before i took the plunge into racing ... you will get to know your car and all it's quirks !
You're lucky to be able to squeeze in 30 or so track days , i think the most i ever got with DE's was 12-15 days depending on the years.I wouldn't be too concerned with the oil change interval then , a change after four events would be fine , especially since you got hold of a boatload of oil !

Toyo RR"s are a fine tire for DE's , they are very predictable and last longer than Hoosiers, i was using 888's for damp weather not full downpours though ...

Have a great season !
LOL When I think about it from that perspective, you must have thought I was totally insane. I will likely pick your brain as I get closer to racing. For now, I need seat time and some instruction.

I did order the oil before this thread, when I was prepared for an oil change after each event. But I use the same oil for my 911 and my son's 944. So it will get used.

Did you like the 888's for the wet? I was thinking the RA1 tread would move water better.
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 01-25-2019, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
RA's are a better rain tire - I usually go 4-5 track days between oil changes - unless my oil temp gets hot (230+) then I'll change immediately after
Old 01-31-2019, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Tired Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyD View Post
RA's are a better rain tire - I usually go 4-5 track days between oil changes - unless my oil temp gets hot (230+) then I'll change immediately after
Hey Jeremy! Good to hear from you. Hope you are doing well.
I'm glad you threw in the oil temp number. I just added an oil temp gauge and had no idea what "Hot" would look like. Now I know.
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 01-31-2019, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
Hope you are well too - I'd try the ducting first on the 944 - even at Sebring most folks don't have issues keeping them cool
Old 02-01-2019, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
gearhead

Don't forget the gearbox. I tell guys 6-8 events on the gearbox. I don't know how many people only do it once a year even though they do their engine several times.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-13-2019, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
I think oil changes for a sometime track car varies a lot depending on how and when you drive it. For racing I would probably change it every other event weekend and use a racing oil designed for very high heat and short intervals.

My car is on the other end of the spectrum. I run around 20 track days/year in DE/TT. My current car is a dual purpose car on street tires and it is a 987.2 with all of the nice oiling improvements and scavange pumps. It also runs reasonably cool as long as I don't run track days in summer with 100F+ temps.

I pay close attention to oil color and as soon as it begins to darken noticeably it has become contaminated and it it time to change. That is typically after 4-5 weekends plus some street driving. I change it 2-3 times per year depending on oil color and mileage. If I run a particularly hot weekend with noticeably high engine temps I will change it right away. I do tend to manage temps carefully so if I see the coolant temp rising I will take an easy cool down lap or perhaps end the session early and take an easy drive down the paddock road to cool things off before parking.

For DE tires I like R888, RA-1, and NT-01. All of them last about the same and the NT-01 seems to work best for me in the dry. My favorite rain tire is the RE-71 which also doubles as my TT competition tire. It comes to grip very quickly and works great for 3 hot laps in TT competition. It does not like heat and will wear out very quickly in hot continuous lapping days.

Good luck!
Old 02-13-2019, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: