Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Autocross and Track Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Zink Racer

Weber 40IDA question 914-6 race car

Hi, I am in the process of freshening a 914-6 tribute race car that has been sitting for quite some time and not stored properly. The motor as built by GD racing in San Bruno CA many years ago and has little time on it according to the mechanic who built the car and ran it in PCA solo a few times. The motor is a 2.4 liter and running Weber 40 IDA's. I pulled the carbs to go through them and they are sorely in need of cleaning and a rebuild kit.

The float chambers have an aluminum baffle that has been secured with some type of epoxy that was breaking down. I removed them to clean. Should I refit them or try running the car without? If I do put them back in what should I use to secure them that won't break down and gum up the carbs?

Old 01-01-2020, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Well I've never had to use a baffle in the chambers. Its a cool idea if done right but it is far from needed in my opinion.
1965 911 300760 1976 911S
Old 01-06-2020, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

This was a very common racing modification
I run the same in my 914/6

the epoxy lasts only 10 or so years
clean it all out...
re glue or re-epoxy

the last time I did this I also asked around for a better product
I didn't find one... so ended up with fresh epoxy and hopefully 10 more years without problems.
b
4 gallons of gas
and 1826 lbs (wet)
Old 02-04-2020, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
From Paul Abbott's page:

Float Bowl Modifications - Baffled And Relieved
Baffle plates are required for racers that experience prolonged, high-G turns resulting in the fuel in the float bowl to move up the wall of the bowl and uncover the fuel inlets to the main jets, this occurs only for the carburetor on the inside of the turn, the outer carburetor will not be affected. Since baffle plates are installed on top of the bungs where the main jets are located they cover the fuel inlets to the main jets which are 8mm above the floor of the float bowls. Removal of this riser to allow fuel to feed the main jets is known as "relieving the mains" and in doing so the end user is expected to maintain a fastidiously clean fuel delivery system and to routinely check the carburetors for debris, failure to do so will lead to a case of "Race-ius interruptus". Street applications will not need/want this modification for autocross events on street tires but might be warranted for time trial events on road courses.

'80 911SC Weissach 3.2 Short Stroke Hot Rod
'68 SWB 911T build in progress -The Rat
Old 02-11-2020, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: