Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Autocross and Track Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Driver's License Owner

Advice on Vintage Race Series and early Cars (911)

I've done some scattered race forays in the past but I now want to focus only on vintage 911 racing, including finding the right car. I really like the 911 2.0 Cup they do over in Europe which is very spec controlled. I'd like to find a car and organization here in the Eastern US (I am in Western NC) that could be comparable. I like the purity and mechanical simplicity of the early cars (65-68, or maybe through 73). Carbs, no electronics, etc. I do almost all of my own work. I don't want to end up with a great car but no one similar to race against. I'd appreciate thoughts or leads pointing me in the right direction.

1977 911S Backdate Street/Track, 1967 912-6 Project, 1965 356C Vintage Racer, '70 Triumph GT6+ Vintage Racer Project, 1962 Jaguar XKE Vintage Racer Project, '60 MGA Restomod/tribute, '60 "Ferret 2" vintage sports racer project
Old 09-08-2020, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Look into SVRA and HSR. There may be some regional organizations in your area as well. Not sure if there is anything similar to the 2 liter series in Europe, there was a similar Klubsport series but I haven't heard about it in a long time.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
V.A.R.A. has a "German marque" race class. Been wanting to check it out.
10-3/4 @ Buttonwillow

869#
AKA "Gemma"
Old 09-13-2020, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
my advice is to see run whatever the local vintage group to you runs. ...check rules and build accordingly. likely best to look at SVRA and either build bp or cp ..2.2 litre or 2.4 I think.
'80 911SC Weissach 3.2 Short Stroke Hot Rod
'68 SWB 911T build in progress -The Rat
Old 09-14-2020, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Alter Ego Racing

HSR or SVRA. I have a bit of experience with those groups
PCA Club Racing Champion
National Vintage Racing Champion
Old 09-22-2020, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

PCA also has a Vintage option, but only at a few races (like Summit Point). If enough cars (air cooleds) register to get their own run group. That's been the issue nationally - Big concentration on the East Coast, not elsewhere. And car counts are down this year for obvious reasons.

The idea for PCA is to get these cars in a run group without Cup cars, GT3s, and built up Caymans, but that requires car count. But keep your eyes in 2021 on the PCA CR schedule.

Old 09-22-2020, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: