Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Autocross and Track Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
likes to left foot brake.

Garage
Only -1 degree camber for a Roval?

I have heard that some road racers will change their camber for road race tracks that include a long NASCAR bank.
The concern is too much negative camber creating a hot spot on the tire. In fact last year a tire rep said he thought a 911 that hit the wall at Fontana may have had too much negative camber and overheated a tire.

I have two races back to back this spring on the NASCAR banked roval. I was told to run only -1 degree camber on the outside tires.

Does that sound right to you?

I would of thought it would be the inside tires that would require
-1 degree camber?

Old 12-24-2003, 01:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
You need tire temperatures. If most of the turns are in the same direction, you'll need to experiment a little to see what will manage your tires the best. When I used to race at LRP (6 right hand turns and 1 left), I used to take some corner weight off of the left front of my FWD Mazda 323 which helped a lot in the right hand turns and reduced the tire temperatures of my LF tire noticeably. Of course the car wasn't so happy in the left.

Alternatively you can play with the pressures, shocks, springs and or camber. An asyemetrical set-up may be needed like an oval car where the outside front may have -2 degrees of camber while the inside front may have +1 degree or something like that.

But you won't have a clue what works and what doesn't without a pyrometer.

"It's a poor craftsman who blames their tools" -- Unknown
"Any suspension -- no matter how poorly designed -- can be made to work reasonably well if you just stop it from moving." -- Colin Chapman
Old 12-24-2003, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I know that Goodyear race slicks like close to zero degrees of camber.

Old 12-29-2003, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: