Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Autocross and Track Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally posted by naparsei
What is the camera set up to make this movie (which was quite cool by the way!). Trying to get an idea of the most feasible way to get in-car video (thinking regular vid camera with I/O mount camera - that's $100 since I already have a camera).
I'm using a Sony TVR-33 mini-DV with a wide angle lens. I also use a wired remote control for the camera so that I can activate it easily. You can't turn power on and off with the IR remotes, and it's problematic fiddling with them.

I mount the camera at eye level as as close to my shoulder as possible using an I/O Port mount on my roll cage. The idea of my mounting position is to get the same road perspective as the driver, and also to get a view of his hands and the instruments. That's important if you want to study the driving. Also, the closer the camera is to the driver's eye position, the better the camera's view of the mirror, which I feel is a very important part of the story.

To digitize, I just use (evil) Microsoft Windows Media Encoder, which is free from Mr. Bill's web site. The mini-DV cameras come with a 1394 interface, so that's how the video gets into my laptop. I find that using the Windows Media V8 video encoder, I can encode in real time, with reasonable quality, at 384-500kbps. It is important to use the "deinterlace" option to get the best bitrate and quality. Also, I crop the top and bottom of the frame to get that 2:1 aspect ratio. In a driving video, there's not much information at the top and bottom of the frame, and this helps with the bitrate.

-Juan

SM #34, '04 GT3, '73 911s, '70 911 2.7L PRC Toyo Spec #11
Old 04-30-2004, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Juan;
I was only able get about half of the race before my service interupted it. For a novice you were doing a really job being smooth, consistent and not getting sucked into stupid situations. You seem to have more speed in you which should come out as your confidence increases. Thanks for sharing as it helped me remember my first race in anger.

"It's a poor craftsman who blames their tools" -- Unknown
"Any suspension -- no matter how poorly designed -- can be made to work reasonably well if you just stop it from moving." -- Colin Chapman
Old 04-30-2004, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Juan, where in San Francisco do you live? I have walked by a Spec Miata on California and Franklin with Panasport wheels. Cool video!
Old 05-05-2004, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisreale
Juan, where in San Francisco do you live? I have walked by a Spec Miata on California and Franklin with Panasport wheels. Cool video!
Chris, I live in Noe Valley. However the Miata lives in its trailer at an RV storage place in Alemeda. I'll keep an eye out for that other SM, as it's near my Porsche mechanic.

When I was first building it, my SM did live on the street, and so it's got an SF parking sticker on it's bumper. I thought that was hip to have a parking sticker on a race car, so I've left it.

-Juan

SM #34, '04 GT3, '73 911s, '70 911 2.7L PRC Toyo Spec #11
Old 05-06-2004, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

The Stable? I live half a block from there, and drool everytime I walk by and glance in the window1

Old 05-07-2004, 11:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: