Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Autocross and Track Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Yellow stripe on steering wheel

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I see steering wheels with the yellow band at the 12:00 position, but I've never understood the purpose, or how it is used.
Any insight?

1971 T 2.2 w/Zeniths
Gruppe B member 171
Mid 9 Web Site Guy
Old 08-06-2004, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Alter Ego Racing

That's means dead center or straight ahead. On the heat of battle its supposed to make it easier to find dead center.
PCA Club Racing Champion
National Vintage Racing Champion
Old 08-06-2004, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I guess that makes sense. I just thought it must be something more complicated than that. I couldn't picture a situation where you wouldn't know which way was up, but then I've never raced either.

Thanks for the response.

1971 T 2.2 w/Zeniths
Gruppe B member 171
Mid 9 Web Site Guy
Old 08-06-2004, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Although the spoke postiton should be enough, drivers also use it to check if they have replaced their removable wheel in the correct position. And stock car drivers, who spend the bulk of their time turning, use it to determine handling characteristics. If they need too much wheel, the front tires won't make it.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Custom User Title

It is mostly for finding center, often in conditions where traction levels make it hard to 'feel'. Remember that caster and toe on your street car helps the wheel self-center, and those settings may be set up radically different on a racing car (so a race car won't necessarily self-center like a street car). It also helps you identify slip angles. As tires wear, the relationship between steering angle and direction recedes, and the centering stripe helps you see this wear.

-Paul
Old 08-06-2004, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
I always heard it was for removable wheels...

I use it on mine so I can better see steering whell movements on video, since mine isn't removable.
1996 993 RS Replica
2008 Yamaha R6
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Old 08-06-2004, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by cstreit
I use it on mine so I can better see steering whell movements on video, since mine isn't removable.
This is something I have heard as well. If you are videoing from inside your car, the more that the stripe is at TDC and not moving, the faster you will be lapping. Remember, any time you turn the steering wheel, your tires will be scrubbing off speed. The steering wheel which remains the straightest and moves the least will be running the fastest line, with the least speed scrubbing.

Or so I have been told...

Tom
Old 08-06-2004, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

cstreit, you beat me to it. A great side benefit is that you can see movement of the wheel easier on video.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

All of the above...and...

It's very valuable when you are sliding sideways, or recovering from a spin, and you've been sawing the wheel back and forth or shuffle steering...and just before you are about the get some traction back you realize you might not be pointed where you think you are.

When the car gets grip, it's going where the wheels are pointed, and you need to know in a hurry which way that is.

Quick visual clue.

JM
Old 08-06-2004, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Quote:
Originally posted by JRMock

Quick visual clue.

You can't tell by the spokes?

Paul said it better than I did. I drove a stock car and I had to turn right on the back straight to go straight. That's how jacked those cars are. If you watch the IRL in car cams, you see the same thing on most, but not all cars. Some drivers can't stand it and their wheel is held straight on the back straight (the front 'straight' not being very straight anymore at most tracks). I suspect the guys trained in road racing are the ones who object to the turn right deal.

So, the yellow (or whatever color) may not actually be centered on the wheel on some cars.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Ditto...I did a quickie job with some yellow tape and was surprised at how beneficial it is!

The human eye is great at spotting high-contrast cues like a yellow-on-black stripe in the periphery of visual range. In other words, you can immediately and intuitively "know" where your wheel is positioned without taking your eyes off the forward track view. It is difficult to describe without experiencing in person; but somehow the visual cue "reinforces" the nerve/muscle signals telling you which way your arms are angled.

It certainly is helpful when reinstalling a removable steering wheel, too!
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 08-06-2004, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Carl Lopez in "Going Faster" mentions on pg. 39 that Mark Donohue used a strip of yellow tape on his steering wheel to clearly see which way the wheel was heading on the way out of a turn. (Lopez uses an intersting sentence structure that implies that the wheel was acting on its own and Donohue was merely a spectator. I'd be curious to know whether that implication was intentional or not.) Based on that, I put a stripe on my wheel several years ago to help me see clearly whether I was unwinding the wheel as I headed toward track-out. Paying attention to that helped me more quickly learn what was too early and what was too late. I noted it while driving since I don't have an onboard camera; other than my all too inaccurate brain. A mark would certainly help one evaluate onboard film.

Ed Cavalier
Old 08-06-2004, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
I think the stripe really helps to visually feed back to your brain the amount of turn in you give the car going into a corner, pulling through it and exiting. Yes, the position of your hands gives the same feedback, but that's the same path than the command coming from the brain. Always good to have an independant readout. Especially since hands and arms become tired, numb and cramped up after a while on the track ...

You aren't looking at your spokes (they are at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock) while on the track.

Hope this helps explain (my perspective) of the yellow stripe. I love mine which comes on the suede momo I got.

George
Old 08-07-2004, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: