Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Autocross and Track Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fiberglass Quarters Install - NASCAR Style?

Hi,

I am considering doing my fiberglass rear quarters in a similar fashion to what the stock cars use. I want to be able to remove the panel, but it does not have to be done with the speed of the Dzsus fastener. I may to do something more semi-permanent. If the panel is damaged, I can then drill it out.

Anyone else done anything similar? I am looking for fastener ideas.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

When I had the 914-6 I used pop rivets to hold the fender flares onto the fenders and made the doors and deck lids removable with the pull of a pin. I would say that unless you have a body shop then that is a better way to go.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have seen something similar to that with flares, but I want to do an antire quarter panel. Perhaps the rivets, or something similar could be used.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
JW Apostate

I also used rivets on my 914 fenders. The big ones:

KT
'74 914-6 2.6 SS #746
'01 Boxster
'73 914
Old 07-12-2012, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks.

I may try that. I am sure that I can repair it, and bond the panel on it it does not work.

I would imagine that they have a "as good" or even better fastening quality than the Dzus fasteners?

I talked to a local stock car builder, he said they use the rivets, then drill them out when the panel need to be replaced.

What size of rivet is "large"?

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2012, 03:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Are DZ's regarded as inferior?

Youtube 333pg333

86 modified 951
Old 07-13-2012, 03:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

No, they are difficult to install correctly. I am looking into doing a more semi-permanent solution.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

What do they call that "rubber lining" between the fender and the body? Is it necessary?
Old 07-13-2012, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
In my case I used door edge guard. It's not necessary but typically the flares are fiberglass and these give it a finished edge instead of a cut fiberglass look.

2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
2008 Yamaha R6
2013 Honda 250 CRF
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 07-13-2012, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Vintage Motorsport

Garage
NASCAR car are not fiberglass. They're all metal - most of it done on an English wheel.

Richard Newton
Old 07-13-2012, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Sorry, they are not NASCAR, that was a bad generalization. They are oval track Late Model cars, even then I could be wrong. The Grisdale Race Shop person I talked to said they used rivets on the cars they built.

They are definitely oval track cars.

Last edited by jamesjedi; 07-13-2012 at 02:03 PM..
Old 07-13-2012, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
JW Apostate

Yes, door edge guard. I ordered a 50' roll.
It has adhesive in the groove.

Rivet heads are about 1/2"

KT
'74 914-6 2.6 SS #746
'01 Boxster
'73 914
Old 07-14-2012, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Is it generic automotive door edge guard? Thanks for posting the information.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I used nutcerts and buttonhead screws, wasn't that difficult with the special nutcert tool from McMaster Carr. They can be taken off in seconds.

PCA Member
Old 07-16-2012, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Got my fiberglass quarters today from a fellow Pelican. The fit is terrible. I will need to spend more time than I thought to get them to fit. They look to be way out. The fit will make a fastener system difficult.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
JW Apostate

Yes, generic door guard molding.
Available in many colors and not expensive.

KT
'74 914-6 2.6 SS #746
'01 Boxster
'73 914
Old 07-29-2012, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjedi View Post
Got my fiberglass quarters today from a fellow Pelican. The fit is terrible. I will need to spend more time than I thought to get them to fit. They look to be way out. The fit will make a fastener system difficult.
You might consider getting some better quarters, if the fit is that bad it will make the work significantly more time consuming and you might not be happy with the results. Are they just 911 turbo quarter panels?
Old 07-30-2012, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

They are Carrera flares. I have found that buying parts from this board is the same gamble as Ebay.

I will try to make them work, or use my steel flares. Either way, it will require some work. Thanks.

I way go to wide body eventually, not just now.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjedi View Post
They are Carrera flares. I have found that buying parts from this board is the same gamble as Ebay.

I will try to make them work, or use my steel flares. Either way, it will require some work. Thanks.

I way go to wide body eventually, not just now.
I've got some new fiberglass Carrera flares. I think the fit is good, they lined up nicely with the panel and the bumper edge. I also have a new roll of the the rubber edging that I bought from Smart Racing. My project took a turn (widebody) and I didn't end up using them. I'd sell everything for a good price. If you weren't satisfied with the fit of the flares you can send them back. If interested just send me a PM.

My plan was to use 10-32 stainless Allen head bolts to attach. I just think they look a lot nicer than the big body rivets the circle track guys use. If you don't have any "Cleco clips" and pliers I'd suggest getting or borrowing some. I use the 1/8" ones myself. They make fitting parts like this much easier and they aren't very expensive either if you just buy what you need and not the whole set:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=647

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=645

pics of my flares:

Old 07-30-2012, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: