Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Autocross and Track Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I was recommened by a shop the bilsteins 750 front and 900 rear. Which is about what I figured. Still researching, not sure how that would compare to a ground control ( which is adjustable a bit ).

Old 08-31-2012, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
GorillaFoot

I can only speak for myself, and I am running 450/600, but I have a Ground Control set-up and I'm very happy with it. Valving is an important part of the deal and they do a lot of work with Koni/Eibach. If the valving is not right, the set-up is going to be a mess.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Firehawk package uses the rear torsion bars. Having rear coilovers is a huge asset.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
$2200 for a ground control with camber plates and stress bar, $100 upcharge for parts to support the spring rate Im shooting for which is 750/900. So these would be front adjustable while a bilstein kit would not be. I can upgrade the rears to double adjustable for some more loot. So the ground control seem a better value as they are adjustable. Still need to finalize on spring rates.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
$2200 for a ground control with camber plates and stress bar, $100 upcharge for parts to support the spring rate Im shooting for which is 750/900. So these would be front adjustable while a bilstein kit would not be. I can upgrade the rears to double adjustable for some more loot. So the ground control seem a better value as they are adjustable. Still need to finalize on spring rates.
Sounds like you have narrowed your choices. Try the 750/900 and report back after a few track days. I personally prefer a car that is not totally tied down for better contact over uneven track surfaces so I would probably choose 350/450. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
GorillaFoot

I was watching a recap of Targa New Foundland on Speed the other day. A guy had a Ferrari Enzo FXX (that's their experimental vehicle for their next supercar. Mucho, MUCHO dinero). He hit a small bump in the road (didn't effect any other cars, really), which tossed his car sideways, completely lost control and ended up in the bay. Didn't look like driver error and he had no time to react. Rest assured, he was running very stiff springs on a bumpy road!

Patrick, did you do any reinforcement of the rear upper shock tower with your car? Even though I am running a relatively soft 600lb rear spring, that attachment point does not seem very sturdy. I'm considering adding some bracing...
Old 09-05-2012, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Wow, put the car on scales and its 300lb more than I hoped. Total with me ( 190lb ) in it and 50lb of crap in the passenger seat area is 2896. The interior is gutted, except dash.

LF 765
RF 697
LR 742
RR 692

Not bad for a LS1? Anyone race a 944, what weight should I be hoping to get to? Hows that for corner weights on a car that has not seen scales before? Thats the end result of me trying to setup the suspension and dial out the push ( which I cant ). Sway bars were hooked up.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
What I’d do is check from whatever supplier or vendor of the suspension that the shocks allowed quite a significant range in spring rates. My old KWs which were fantastic were very forgiving and allowed quite a large range of springs to be used. I assume it’s in the valving.
No we didn’t strengthen that upper shock mount area as much as people have expressed concern over the years regarding this. Wouldn’t hurt to do so though I guess.

Youtube 333pg333

86 modified 951
Old 09-05-2012, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Wow, put the car on scales and its 300lb more than I hoped. Total with me ( 190lb ) in it and 50lb of crap in the passenger seat area is 2896. The interior is gutted, except dash.

LF 765
RF 697
LR 742
RR 692

Not bad for a LS1? Anyone race a 944, what weight should I be hoping to get to? Hows that for corner weights on a car that has not seen scales before? Thats the end result of me trying to setup the suspension and dial out the push ( which I cant ). Sway bars were hooked up.
What doors, hatch, hood, windows etc do you have? If your car is stripped with lexan hatch, f/g doors, panels, fg hood etc you should get down to 2500lbs...but wait, is this in an n/a body?? That should be quite a bit lighter than you've got.

Youtube 333pg333

86 modified 951
Old 09-05-2012, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Its a 84 NA body, no windows, no fiberglass ( body kit is coming from broadfoot ), the hood has even been gutted I have picked up a FG hood and lexan to make a hatch but they are not installed yet. So this winter the car goes on a diet, there isnt much easy stuff to strip out though.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Well an n/a should be quite a bit lighter than turbo etc. You might have a bit of a wait from B/foot. Which kit are you going for, just the bolt on GT2 flares or thier GTR full kit?

Youtube 333pg333

86 modified 951
Old 09-05-2012, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
the daytona kit, so full fenders, quarters, Im regretting it a bit because its WIDE. Im only going to get 17*11 wheels which should fit nice up front and look small in the back. I run the same on all 4 so I can have a spare that fits and rotate everything. I was really tempted for the flares but opted for the other option. Its still going to be heavier than I had hoped. Time to do some undercoating scraping this winter....
Old 09-05-2012, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Ok, repeating myself a bit $2200 ground control, 5500 motons and 6500 ohlins. Am I really going to notice a difference?

Last edited by aftermath; 09-12-2012 at 07:05 AM..
Old 09-11-2012, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: