Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Autocross and Track Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

944 camber plates

I am thinking about tracking my 85.5 porsche 944 a couple times this summer and am looking at upgrades to do to the car. The car has new stock shocks and the 404 option code (front and rear swaybar) from the factory. I will be changing the brake fluid out to ATE blue, brake pads out to EBC yellow stuff, and new tires are on the way also, probably Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 performance tires to put on my 16" 968 cup wheels/spacers, as I work for Bridgestone and can get a deal on them.

I will be mounting my strut tower brace on the front, but was wondering about using adjustable camber plates also. I know on a lowered car, they help correct the camber, but exactly what would they do for me on my car set up the way I described ?

I'm looking to complete these upgrades on somewhat of a budget, so I can't get into new adjustable shocks, lowering springs,

Last edited by ckelly78z; 01-08-2013 at 11:10 AM..
Old 01-08-2013, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Wait. Spend your money on becoming a better drover before you worry about fancy camber plates.
1978 911SC, 1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 01-08-2013, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Spend your cash on more events for now. With street tires, a mostly street car, and a new driver you won't really benefit much from camberplates yet.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I plan on doing a HPDE early this year and will try to do a couple track days and autocrosses throughout the Summer and Fall, but i'm still curious as to what the added camber actually does for the car ?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
When you're in a turn, the whole body of the car will tend to lean toward the outside of the turn. The wheels, which are attached to the body of the car, will lean more or less with the body. So if the outer tire starts by leaning inward at the top, when the whole car leans outward, it will be closer to straight up and down. That puts more rubber on the pavement, giving you more grip.

There may also be a "camber thrust" effect, where the tire that leans inward at the top actually pushes a little bit in toward the center of the car. That also gives better grip.

That's what added negative camber does for you.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-08-2013, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: