Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Autocross and Track Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
závodník 'X'

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMink76 View Post
I do quite a bit on RFactor. If you are looking at getting into a HistorX league you can check out efnetsimracing.com. They race every Sunday night and we have anywhere from 25-30 racers in two different classes. Fun stuff.

Another good rig is the obutto, o b u t t o - 2012 home .

here's a pic of my homemade rig.

Will do to check it out - thanks. Wed. nights is race time with speed geezers. Tues. night is practice and setups. Relaxed fun atmosphere, but its game on when the flag drops. Most helpful group, getting one set-up, sharing vehicle set-ups, resolving software issues and lots of private downloads just for the league. The only danger is your relationship with a wife or girl friend.... have to watch how much time is allocated to online racing... hah.

Clever rig on that table. I'm running with a very basic set-up, the Fanatec wheel, Logitech pedals and a fast 17" laptop on the desk. Sometimes I'll use a second monitor.

--- Soup Bowl 2nd half back on... out.
“When these fine people came to me with an offer to make four movies for them, I immediately said ‘yes’ for one reason and one reason only… Netflix rhymes with ‘wet chicks,'” Sandler said in a prepared statement. “Let the streaming begin!” - Adam Sandler

Last edited by intakexhaust; 02-03-2013 at 06:44 PM..
Old 02-03-2013, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
I have been on iracing for about a year. Ton of fun, but it's difficult to find the time to participate in races - the only way I get 40 undisturbed minutes in my house is if I leave or everyone else leaves ...

Oddly enough, I hate the MX5 and love the SRF. SRF drives exactly like my 911 - I don't think it's twitchy in the least. Skippy is fun but difficult to catch once it gets sideways, and the 78 Lotus is a hoot except I'm so slow as to be dangerous on the track (I've even had people yell at me), so I rarely drive that one.

While fun, it's bad for my ego. In the real world, my 88 on street tires is easily one of the slowest cars at the DE, so I don't feel bad being one of the slowest cars out there. But in iracing, I've got no excuses - I'm just plain slow!

Set your Field of View up correctly if your monitor size supports it - otherwise it feels like driving seriously inebriated.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Anyone tried this stuff? Looks pretty good...pricey though.

Consumerhome

Youtube 333pg333

86 modified 951
Old 02-08-2013, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Bump for this.

I just remembered I tried it a couple years ago, then put it aside...small monitor.
Well, I remembered a few days ago, and now that I have my TV near enough to the PC, it's actually worth it.
Need to get a better seat/wheel setup, but what I'm using works for now.

iRacing name "Wolfe Macleod" as always.

Still pretty new at it. Been driving around Lime Rock mostly, bought a few cars and tracks.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
I've upgraded to the Fanatec system... SO far I really like it. Doesn't hurt that it has the GT3RS branding.

Here is my setup (before the Fanatec). Kinda messy as I was just working on my 3 screen setup. I use the monitors on my desk behind it, then when racing flip them around and put the system into wide desktop mode (Eyefinity display) for racing.

Works well, just need to finalize my monitor stand prototype.

2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 04-17-2013, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Nice set up Chris! My next upgrade will be 3 monitors.
Mid9 Member #12
Old 04-17-2013, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Which Ruf model do you guys like the best? C spec, RWD, AWD, or Track version?
Old 03-06-2014, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
I was wondering when this thread was going to get resurrected after the Ruf model came out in iRacing

The C-spec car is all but indestructible if you hit something ...but the idea is not to go off isn't it?
The RWD is a (fun) handful but almost seems like it's on street tires.
Haven't driven the AWD yet, but I do run in a league series that uses the Track version and it is by far my favorite car on iRacing now (but I'm baised )

S.Chapman
Old 03-06-2014, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
The RWD model IS on street tires in iRacing. I have plenty of fun in the track model and race in the GT3 series. Look me up: Kyle Murphy2
Old 03-06-2014, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Twin Cammer

Garage
I was in to iRacing years ago..had it prior to the official release.
Built a cockpit with a decent sized monitor and had a blast for a few years..

I really wish I had the room, and the PC power, to have a setup again.. Its a fantastic sim.

I so want to drive on Bathurst!!

My last 944 had a small iracing sticker on it, and my vanity plate was IRACER..

This was my setup.. my son used to love steering around the tracks LOL..

iRacing - 4.5 year old drives Mazda at Summit - YouTube

1984 944 sold in '09
1983 944 sold in '03
1986 944 sold in '99
Old 03-07-2014, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Hi. I've been on iRacing for the past few months. The RUF RWD has become my iRacing car of choice. It's a handful but just great.

I've been using the Test section of iRacing to practice tracks. I spent a few weeks practicing VIR in preparation of the PCA Zone 2 HPDE event in March (Boxster S). It was a big help. It took far less time for me to learn the track than in the past with other tracks. (VIR is a such a great track.)

I'm now practicing Lime Rock and Watkins Glen. Challenging but fun and helpful.

My rig consists of an Obutto Revolution, the Logitech G27, triple BenQ 27 inch monitors and a gaming computer. Still fine tuning it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett490 View Post
Which Ruf model do you guys like the best? C spec, RWD, AWD, or Track version?
Old 04-01-2014, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

I just joined a couple weeks ago. Class D road license driving the Mazda Cup car.
Fanatec CSR wheel, CSR elite pedals, H shifter, sequential shifter, paddle shifter on a 50" flat screen.

It would be cool to get a bunch of people together and routinely host a race once a week. Each person taking a turn, I think it cost $2.00 to host a race.

Any interest?
There's nothing better than: Listening to "Going Down the Road Feeling Bad" ,as I, "Go Down the Road Feeling Bad"
Old 04-07-2014, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
I'll bite.

I'd be happy to host it. Even if we get a couple people it would be fun just to goof off. However, since we'll probably have less then 10 drivers. (at least 4 or 5 would be fun!)

Possible server setup we could agree on?

Time:
Weeknight or Weekend?

Car:
Ruf RT 12R Track

Track Suggestions (~2.5mi or less):
Mid-Ohio
Brands Hatch
Road Atlanta

Because of the MIN 2 hour rental time, you can't under allocate the time:
50m Practice
30m Open Qualifying
40m Minute Race

Open car set-up

----OR----

We keep it simple and drive the MIATA SPEC car at Summit Point, 15 laps.

Last edited by flat6pilot; 04-08-2014 at 09:48 PM..
Old 04-08-2014, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

OK Flat 6. You are now the official headmaster. I will PM you my Iracing name and email. You could ping the other people already on this thread? I think we would all have to have each others names saved in the Iracing group profile somehow to communicate with each other. Here are my suggestions:

Time: Weeknight (once a week), say: 9:00PM start to try to include as much of the country as possible. I don't think people will want to commit to staying home on a weekend evening and daytime will have too many honey do chores to coordinate with everyone.

Car: Host discression - I would recommend the standard Iracing options with the addition of the RUF (of course). I would think we keep it to cars everybody already owns as we don't want to exclude anyone.

Track: Standard Iracing options: Again, we will omit people if they don't "own" the track. We can always upgrade if everyone is in.

Race Time/Length: Sounds good to me.

Open car set-up: My preference would be we all run the stock set up of any given car the host chooses. I don't think there's anyway to control this but lets keep it even. Newbies (myself) haven't had the time to dial in all the cars.

Game on: Or as I tell me lovely wife, "this is not a game, it's a driving simulator"
There's nothing better than: Listening to "Going Down the Road Feeling Bad" ,as I, "Go Down the Road Feeling Bad"
Old 04-09-2014, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Server name: PELICANFORUM
Password : porsche

Time:
WED APRIL 16TH 6pm PST (Practice begins @6PM, Race at ~7:30)

Car: (Choose wisely as I don't think you can change your car once you've 'joined' the session.)
Ruf RT 12R Track
McLaren MP4
Ford GT-R
Mazda MX-5
Pontiac Solstice

Track:
Laguna Seca

Length:
60m Practice
30m Open Qualifying
30m Minute Race

Open car set-up
I have several set-ups I'll be sharing during practice. (I'll be driving the RUF so just those set-ups as you can't change cars once you've entered, I believe??)

Last edited by flat6pilot; 04-11-2014 at 03:43 PM..
Old 04-11-2014, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Pelican Forum iRacing Track Day

Set to auto start next Wednesday:

Old 04-11-2014, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Just a bump reminder this (post above) will happen tomorrow night. Hopefully we can get 2 or 3 (or more!) to join. If not, we'll try again...

Even if you only have time for the practice or qualifying session... come play.

Last edited by flat6pilot; 04-15-2014 at 05:41 PM..
Old 04-15-2014, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Hmm... Not sure if I'll make this one, but keep this thread alive. I want to come play!
2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 04-15-2014, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

I should be there. Do you just "join a session"?
Old 04-15-2014, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Yea, I think you just join session and search for PELICANFORUM. I'm new to hosting an iRacing server so I guess we'll iron it tomorrow. See you then.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: