Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Autocross and Track Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Super Moderator

Garage
iRacing anyone?

Looking for fellow Pelicans on iRacing. Already hooked up with Doug M... We're both relatively new to it. Lets get something going!

Chris
2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 01-28-2013, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Warning, it is addictive! There are hosted races, too, so if there are enough pelicans, we could have a pelican only race some afternoon / evening. My iRacing driver name, Douglas McCrackin

Last edited by na2ub; 01-30-2013 at 01:53 PM..
Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Count me in.

Jay
Old 01-28-2013, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Hey PM me your names so I can add you if you want.

Cheers,

Chris
2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 01-28-2013, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Can't wait for the RUF RT12R to be added

iRacing to Build Virtual RUF RT12R | inRacingNews.com

Meanwhile I'm finding that the iRacing McLaren MP4-12C feels a lot like my 3.2l teener ...very balanced with the same mid-engined dynamics. Thus I can't help to think that some skills learned on iRacing will translate into faster lap times in the real world (or at the very least give me a head start on a new track I've never been on before)

PM sent!

Stacy Chapman
Old 01-28-2013, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
I'm still a Noob. Got a Class C license after 3 weeks but still barely getting podiums 30% of the time.

I like the MX5 as I'm learning and hate the SCCA Spec Ford. Twitchy and unpredictable. Yuck. I've heard food things about the MP4 and would also like to try the Skippy cars...
2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 01-28-2013, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstreit View Post
I'm still a Noob. Got a Class C license after 3 weeks but still barely getting podiums 30% of the time.

I like the MX5 as I'm learning and hate the SCCA Spec Ford. Twitchy and unpredictable. Yuck. I've heard food things about the MP4 and would also like to try the Skippy cars...
You're not driving a Spec Ford if you're not drifting. I work for a CSR and that's all I see everyday, tire doesn't particularly like alot of camber, I set them up generally -2.0 to -2.5 and camber staggered depending on direction of travel on track(CC/CCW) then adjust camber for what the tire temp reads.

June Sprints 2012 Spec Racer Ford Final Lap - YouTube
Old 01-28-2013, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Been looking at getting into this too. Any of you guys have suggestions as what the best setup is? I was looking at the Logitech G27 which seems to get good reviews. Any feedback, hot tips and pics of setup would be good.

Youtube 333pg333

86 modified 951
Old 01-29-2013, 10:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I had a G27 ...good solid dependable wheel/pedals (especially with the NIXIM or other DIY brake mod)

The next step up would be the Thrustm>aster or Fana>tec which are definitely more precise (...and make you feel like somebody just redid your alignment settings for the better), but they can be ...how do I say this? Not as reliable

That being said what P-car enthusiast can ignore the Fana>tec GT2 or GT3

I know that I couldn't resist ...but it's also why I keep my old G27 tucked away close for a backup

S.Chapman
Old 01-30-2013, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I like the Fanatec setup and have no problems with it:

Old 01-30-2013, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Those are really nice...

I have a playseat with an old-school Force Feedback Pro from Logitech, but invested in 3 x 24" monitors and an eyefinity setup for the wraparound display. Love it.
2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 01-30-2013, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Nice setups. So what sort of $ is that Fanatec unit?

Youtube 333pg333

86 modified 951
Old 01-30-2013, 10:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
The chassis including seat is only $299. Really solid, stable, lightweight and the seat is super comfortable.
CSL Seat US

They have a special with the chassis, seat and the GT3 wheel plus pedals for a total of $399
CSL Seat Porsche Edition US

I prefer the GT2 controls as it works for Xbox, PS3, and PC, and Forza Motorsport for the Xbox is the only game console simulation software with Porsches.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Wow that's a fantastic price on the setup!
2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 01-31-2013, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
How realistic is the feedback from these units?
Old 01-31-2013, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Cajun, even my 12 year old Logitech unit is pretty good. Its the software that defines the realism more than the hardware. I can detect:

Lockup of tires, loss of front or rear grip, and inconsistencies in the surface. You don't get G's and slip angle "Seat of the Pants" feel though... But it's 1000 times better than no feedback at all. Night and Day
2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 01-31-2013, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
iRace

I added Chris and Doug to my "friend request"

My iRacing name is: Kyle Murphy2
Old 01-31-2013, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
závodník 'X'

Garage
Chris- Haven't explored iRacing but I belong to an online league with rFactor and some GPL. As always you have to dedicate the time but sure is loads of cheap fun during a few Winter nights. Just started to dabble with the Historix - vintage cars on legendary tracks but also on the smaller venues such as Joliet by you. I found you can learn an unfamiliar track quicker by taking a contemporary Williams F1 with traction control on and fly...ha. But we know that don't mean squat when sized up spec or whatever class event.

My basics: Found a like new Fanatec 911GT3RS wheel and Logitech G27 pedals in the box fleabay cheap which work together just fine. $150 should get anyone set-up. Looking to add the Fanatec manual shifter for character sake... even if the times are worse. What a riot racing and bench talk of the old days with others around the globe.

Also for those considering, Logitech recently announced they are getting out of the PC driver sim production so grab those G25 / 27 while you can.

Might have to take a look at iRacing. Cheers, S
“When these fine people came to me with an offer to make four movies for them, I immediately said ‘yes’ for one reason and one reason only… Netflix rhymes with ‘wet chicks,'” Sandler said in a prepared statement. “Let the streaming begin!” - Adam Sandler

Last edited by intakexhaust; 01-31-2013 at 10:18 PM..
Old 01-31-2013, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by intakexhaust View Post
Chris- Haven't explored iRacing but I belong to an online league with rFactor and some GPL. As always you have to dedicate the time but sure is loads of cheap fun during a few Winter nights. Just started to dabble with the Historix - vintage cars on legendary tracks but also on the smaller venues such as Joliet by you. I found you can learn an unfamiliar track quicker by taking a contemporary Williams F1 with traction control on and fly...ha. But we know that don't mean squat when sized up spec or whatever class event.

My basics: Found a like new Fanatec 911GT3RS wheel and Logitech G27 pedals in the box fleabay cheap which work together just fine. $150 should get anyone set-up. Looking to add the Fanatec manual shifter for character sake... even if the times are worse. What a riot racing and bench talk of the old days with others around the globe.

Also for those considering, Logitech recently announced they are getting out of the PC driver sim production so grab those G25 / 27 while you can.

Might have to take a look at iRacing. Cheers, S
I do quite a bit on RFactor. If you are looking at getting into a HistorX league you can check out efnetsimracing.com. They race every Sunday night and we have anywhere from 25-30 racers in two different classes. Fun stuff.

Another good rig is the obutto, o b u t t o - 2012 home .

here's a pic of my homemade rig.

Mid9 Member #12
Old 02-01-2013, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstreit View Post
Cajun, even my 12 year old Logitech unit is pretty good. Its the software that defines the realism more than the hardware. I can detect:

Lockup of tires, loss of front or rear grip, and inconsistencies in the surface. You don't get G's and slip angle "Seat of the Pants" feel though... But it's 1000 times better than no feedback at all. Night and Day
Thanks for the feedback. I have always been curious.

I think I will take the plunge. That just looks like too much fun.

I noticed some of you guys throwing around some websites. As a novice, are there some sites I need to check out?
Old 02-03-2013, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: