Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Autocross and Track Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Cheapest way to get track time

I am looking for opinions/suggestions on the cheapest way to get track time. I live in southern NC, so VIR is about 3 hours away and Carolina Motorsports Park is about 1.5 hours away. CMP offers a club membership with 40 track days, for a one-time $1000 initiation fee and a $3000 annual fee. VIR offers a club membership for a one-time $3000 initiation fee and then $3200 a year after that for 18 track days.
I think the VIR club is unreasonably expensive, but at CMP it breaks down to ~$100 a day, which is not terrible. Would it be cheaper to keep doing HPDEs? My cars would not be competitive in club racing, I just want to have fun on the track without breaking the bank. Thanks for any suggestions!

Old 10-03-2013, 02:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
There are sometimes local clubs that specialize in track days for all marques of car. Some of them only run mid-week events, because tracks are cheaper to rent during the middle of the week. Those might be the most economical in terms of $$/on-track hour.

I'm not sure how you'd find them, though. Maybe go to the websites of local tracks and see if they have a calendar listed? Then search the name of the organization renting the track (again, mid-week) to try to find contact info.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-03-2013, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
What's Facebook?

Garage
The problem with the packages you mention is the schedule. Will you be able to attend all 40 days and will you get bored with one track? Sticking with a car club chapter and demonstrating your skills could get you instructor status. Instructors pay reduced rate on nothing for a weekend. Or you can volunteer for jobs during DE weekends to earn track time. NASA does this and I know several car club chapters that do same.
1986.5 928 5-Speed - 36,000 miles
2001 330Ci
Old 10-03-2013, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Looking at dollars per hour DE's and open track days are usually best.

There are so many places that host open track days for their customers

2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
2010 Harley “48”
2013 Honda 250 CRF
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 10-03-2013, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

If you want to do all of your driving on one track the CMP deal may be the cheapest. Do you plan on going 40 times a year? You also have:
Road Atlanta - 3 hours
Atlanta Motorsportspark - 3.5 hours
Roebling road - 4 hours.
There's nothing better than: Listening to "Going Down the Road Feeling Bad" ,as I, "Go Down the Road Feeling Bad"
Old 10-03-2013, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

National Auto Sport Association - nasaproracing.com (look for your region)
The Sports Car Club of America - Home (Look for your region)

Highly recommend NASA... at least here in the NE, they are very good and we run a lot of trackdays.. DE, TT, Race , ect..sometimes even single days..

Good Luck
Old 10-03-2013, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

VIR is a significantly nicer venue than CMP, both is size and offerings.

That said, I don't like the track membership idea. I'd get TOO bored. I like variety in my tracks. As mentioned, looks for multimarque clubs (chin, scca, nasa) but even single marque groups will let in non marque owners, especially if they need the numbes ($$).

Becoming a club instructor can also reduce your cost outlay.

There are other groups like Kojote or David Murry, while the may cost $500/day, you get 6-8 hours of "open track", sometimes with pro instructors made available. Need to figure out how much track time you really want
2000 Boxster 2.7, 1987 944
1978 911SC, 1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 10-03-2013, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Hooked on Driving frequents VIR, AMP and Roebling, etc.....
Get enough laps and instructor status and it's FREE.

'86 Carrera . . . '87 951 destroyed by drunk driver ... '01 Boxster S. . . '04 Cayenne S . . .
Old 10-03-2013, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
CHUMP CAR ! - find a team , do a arrive and drive or something. $800 for 4 hours of track time is someone elses car can be had if you have your own driving gear.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Vintage Motorsport

Garage
A Chump Car rental is the best value. Find a team with a proven record and you'll get all the track time you could ever want. No 30 minutes sessions with Chump Cars. You stay in the car for 2 hours at a shot. You'll be happy to get out when your stint is over.

Richard Newton
My Facebook Page
Old 10-05-2013, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Feel free to join MVP Track Time (www.MVPTrackTime.com) at any of our events. We will be at CMP in early Spring 2014.
|
Feff

Last edited by Feffman; 10-16-2013 at 12:49 PM..
Old 10-07-2013, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Have you considered instructing? Many clubs give instructors free sessions.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyapex View Post
Have you considered instructing? Many clubs give instructors free sessions.
Can you list afew that do?.....I just became an instructor 2 years aog with PCA and was looking for more track time outside of PCA DE events.

Free is NICE!

thanks,
Fred

1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 11-01-2013, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: