Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Autocross and Track Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Engine Volume Air Flow

I have an 86 3.2 L with some minor modifications: S.WOng Chip, CAT by pass, extrude hone intakes, larger TB S. Wong. Before my last two modifications (TB, Extrude Hone) my RWHP was around 210. I had the car rechecked at the same dyno and cam out with less around 189 RWHP. My air/fuel reading was very rich between 9 and 10 and I have a cold start problem with a surging idle (1200 down to 200 and up again).

I checked the Volume air flow and the intake air temp reading was not giving the 5 volt required for terminals #1 and 4 and #3. The idle position switch was OK so was the idle control valve. The throttle body switch was checked as was the Mass Air Flow Arm. Air leaks were checked but it still may be a problem. DO I have to replace my Air Flow box?
Old 04-12-2016, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Has anyone had their intake manifold modified by Extrude Hone? What were the results?
Old 01-09-2018, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to smokintr6
The extrude hone results in the 944 world are fairly consistent: the media gets stuck in places that are impossible to clean, eventually working into and destroying the cylinders.

So you did the mods and last power? I would start by asking for support from your chip vendor on the mixture trouble.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
What's Facebook?

Garage
When the O2 sensor goes bad, the 3.2 will run rich and surge at idle. Also, the DME engine harness on these cars can get brittle. May need to start checking wire continuity from DME to the sensors and MAF meter. May need to drop engine to get to some of the harness.
1986.5 928 5-Speed - 36,000 miles
2001 330Ci
Old 01-13-2018, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Only few things can cause super rich conditions at WOT:
- Not likely the O2 sensor at WOT because above a given engine load and RPM the O2 signal is ignored completely. But a faulty O2 that is grounded all the time will cause very rich idle and Part Throttle.
- Fuel Pressure, has it been checked?
- A bad CHT sensor will certainly cause super rich conditions

Test Fuel Pressure and the CHT sensor for starters.
1964 356SC (SOLD)
1987 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 Convertible
Old 01-16-2018, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: