Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche Autocross and Track Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fuel starvation right turns 944

944s race car sputters when fuel goes below half a tank -after hard right turn when full throttle is applied. I have read posts that the in-tank strainer/screen can be the problem - I replaced it. Checked the vent line that attaches to the sender that runs to the charc canister - seems fine.

I have pulled the sender unit from the trunk area and inspected in the tank a few times. I.m wondering about the plastic unit (think its called swirl unit) that sits above the screen. Does anyone know if there is a correct way (which way is front) for this to sit. Mine moved around and we put it back in roughly the same place then put the lid with the hole back on and put the sender down in.

I have completely drained the tank, fuel pump in fine, newish fuel filter etc. This only happens below half a tank on right turns.

any suggestions?
Old 06-29-2016, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Fuel Cell
Old 06-29-2016, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

plenty of people race these cars with no fuel starvation problems.

I believe there must be an answer
Old 06-29-2016, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

911s, at least the CIS motored ones, have this problem, though it doesn't seem to be strongly "sided," although one can make oneself believe right handers start the stumble before it progresses to left handers. In my car, where it starts varies from 1/2 to 1/4 tank indicated. And on the track the fuel sender indications seem all over the place anyway. This is a bit of a mystery, as the fuel tank has a couple of baffles built in which ought to mitigate this, and the pickup (in the swirl pot) is right in the rear center of the tank.

A fuel cell will solve this. If you have two pumps and a pickup in each rear corner of the tank you will embarrass yourself eventually, as it gives zero warning that you need to back off, wiggle the car, and pit. It just dies. About the same, I suppose, with a pickup unit in the center with flaps and such to act like a surge tank.

I haven't heard the 944 guys complain about this issue, though, so maybe there is something which has gone amiss.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Have the same problem in my 968 race car. Replaced all lines, filter, strainer and pump, as well as vent hoses, etc. Still have the problem. Finally dropped the tank. There is a plastic bowl with a top on the pass side, and inside is the long 17MM screen, you can unscrew from the tank. My top was loose (off the bowl) so fuel just spilled out and it would suck some air in right turns. Dropped a tank from a junker, the entire plastic bowl was loose and doing nothing. I'm going to add a swirl pot tol solve the problem.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

yes I figured out also it's the bowl and cover that are loose. They come glued to the floor from the factory, the glue dissolves over time, and the lids come loose. The bowl assembly has a hole on the underneath side. If it is moving around under hard cornering (and you have less than half a tank), bingo you lose fuel pressure. Snapping it back is no easy job, you need somebody with small arms to reach down in. Mine did not stay snapped, so problem kept coming back. I finally got a long drill bit, and shoved some plastic screws into place. Put a little fuel cell foam in the bowl to keep things settled. I'll let you know how it works.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: