Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche Autocross and Track Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Spoiler weights

Hey Pelicans, I have a 1975 hotrod with a steel decklid and fiberglass GT2 style spoiler. I've done some searching and found that my steel decklid should weight around 12 lbs and my fiberglass tail should be around 35 lbs. so approx 47 lbs total.

So I was wondering if any of you know approx what my set up (decklid & tail) would weigh in Carbon fiber? I've searched some manufacturers sites and don't see any carbon weights quoted. i've emailed and asked 2 manufacturers this question and have not received a response. Would it be worth switching to carbon fiber? I think it would be if I could save 25 - 30+ lbs off the rear.

But I dont know how well the brand new carbon fiber decklid fit, I assume they would be pretty close to a bolt on with very little prep & paint work, am I wrong?
Old 01-08-2018, 04:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Northern Motorhead

Garage
I've got a GT3 fiberglass spoiler on a fiberglass rear deck mounted on my 89 , can't really
tell you the weight at this point as the car is stored away in my race trailer for the Winter , but it is considerably lighter than the steel rear deck and OEM spoiler assembly !

You might want to check with CP Fabrication in Florida, i think that's where my decklid came from ...

89 Coupe,Black,95 3.6 engine and the list goes on ...
1983 944 SP2 race car PCA #96
Old 01-08-2018, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
It's a 914 ...

Call the various makers and ask for the weight of their parts. 47 lbs does seem quite heavy. Granted it's a different tail, but the fiberglass full size RSR tail I have on my 911 is nowhere near 47 lbs. More like 10-15, I'd guess.

When you call, ask if they make race weight fiberglass. It'll be fewer layers of glass and accordingly lighter. With carbon, what I've heard (and seen myself) is that some makers put a layer or two of carbon and back it up with fiberglass anyway. So sometimes you're paying a lot more for little benefit.

Scott
Old 01-08-2018, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Hmm, perhaps the weight I found for the fiberglass tail was the weight for the complete wing & decklid, I thought it was just the spoiler. I did have mine off a couple years ago and it did seem very heavy. So I wouldn't be surprised if it actually did weight close to 50 lbs.

A manufacturer did get back to me this morning and says the carbon spoiler & decklid would be around 18 lbs. So i'll have to do a little more digging and see if 20+ lbs weight savings is worth the $1600+ for new carbon fiber.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I think that Getty Design might be a great contact on this. My car has Getty Design body work as do a lot of my fellow racers' cars here in NorCal.

I have found that many of Getty's parts fit really well, but my application is racing and I have the experience, skills and motivation to do my own bodywork fitment, prep and painting.

I know that they can make parts in FRP or carbon fiber, and years ago I got to hold one of their 993 gt2-style carbon fiber tails in my hands. It was much, much lighter than my Getty FRP parts, but I did not weight it.

Getty also can do custom lighter weight carbon fiber parts for extra $$$.

Price versus weight reduction equations are of course very specific to one's goals. Too many variables to give a standard answer.
Porsche Racing Club #4
BMWCCA
NASA
Old 01-08-2018, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
also looks like you have the decklid for GT2 this style comes on a 993 my experience with these are they are much more heavy than the 3.8 tail base as it doesn't have the intake air scoops that your's does.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Northern Motorhead

Garage
Ooooopssss , i meant to say it's the 3.8 rear spoiler that i have on my car , yes it seems light !
I know CP makes good fitting parts , as compared to Patrick from who i bought my front and rear
fiberglass bumpers when i stuffed the 3.6 in my car ... what a mess , none of the mounting points fit and i basically had to custom fit the parts .

Old 01-08-2018, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the info fellas,

Wildcat077 - I couldn't find CP Fabrication online, could they have changes names?
Old 01-10-2018, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Northern Motorhead

Garage
Sorry Chris,

It's CCP Fabrication in Florida, you want to talk with Paul Kostopoulos at 727-946-6024
They shipped a 911 fiberglass front hood to Quebec for me , great fit and finish ... they do beautiful work !

If you're interested , i might consider selling the front hood, never installed, flawless,just fitted for trial , white unpainted ... my 911 is back to street duty now.
I go to Mosport a few times during race season.

Cheers
Phil

Last edited by wildcat077; 01-12-2018 at 02:10 PM..
Old 01-12-2018, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

spoilers

Think about how much downforce weight an effective spoiler adds to a 100mph car, To me the few pounds lost on CF does not make sense, spend the money to remove weight elsewhere.
Mike Bruns
Old 01-16-2018, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: