Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche Autocross and Track Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
likes to left foot brake.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHE11 View Post
What advice do you have on getting access to the track for practice?
Do you need to be a local club member or do they do “open” private practice days during the week?

Darien
Fridays at Big Willow are mostly open test days but call to verify first.
Check the schedule and contact the group with the track rented on the days you are in town for specifics.
Some want you to join their club.
Willow Springs Raceway

Next door to Big Willow is Streets of Willow.
Streets has more turns and slower speeds, fun place to practice car control skills while under 100mph.
Willow Springs Raceway

By all means I'd suggest you meet Jack the CDI for OTR and get some track instruction.
Big Willow only has 9 turns but they are fast turns with unfriendly run offs.
Event RegistrationDates
Old 01-21-2018, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Ha ha yeah the runoff's at streets are also unfriendly
Old 01-21-2018, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Ted
Appreciate the info and event links.
Will see how the timing lines up.
Ideally would be great to run both tracks - SoW for some initial low speed testing and also Big Willow as looks like a nice flow to the layout and would be good to experience while I’m there.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Administrator

If your trip ends up pushing back to March, then Open Track Racing has a Wednesday on March 14. That's the group I drive with and instruct for -- week day trackways are easier for me than weekends.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Jack,
I was hoping to have it on a ship by early March to get back for my competition season...
As its only just gone in for paint, i just cancelled my Bathurst event at Easter to focus on getting the build finished.

Will have better idea once it comes out of paint. If it works out later (likely) then ill take you up on the offer for a weekday session on the 14th
I will get a build thread up to share....

Darien

Last edited by DHE11; 01-22-2018 at 10:40 PM..
Old 01-22-2018, 10:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
If your trip ends up pushing back to March, then Open Track Racing has a Wednesday on March 14. That's the group I drive with and instruct for -- week day trackways are easier for me than weekends.
Here is the link to my build thread, so will see how the timing goes...

Project 77 - new build
Old 01-24-2018, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Jack,
My sons Bday is in mid March, so the 14th is not a great time to be away.
And I see the next OTR day is not till May 9th.

The calendar Ted provided link to shows “test and tune days” each Friday, 23Mar and 30Mar
Given your local knowledge, are these a good format or to be avoided?

I am looking to plan flights and accomodation, are there other days later in March or April that might be suitable?

Also for initial set up / testing, are there any days or opportunity over consecutive days to access both tracks, including SoW and skid pan?

Thanks
Darien

Last edited by DHE11; 02-05-2018 at 01:27 AM..
Old 02-02-2018, 03:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Administrator

The testing sessions on Friday require a cage and a 'race-prepped' car; so you're good to go in that department. I would talk to Tyson about the best approach -- I personally wouldn't think you'd need time on the Streets of Willow circuit, but Tyson might disagree. The key to finding a good testing Friday is to pick one that isn't followed on Saturday and Sunday by a big race event (out here, watch out for SCCA, NASA, POC or other groups with actual race groups). It looks like there's a VARA weekend and a Speedventures weekend. I would THINK there would be fewer cars showing up on Friday for the Speedventures event, since they're less of a race group and more of a track day group, so that might nudge you in that direction. But then, planning on the first and having the second Friday as a backup if something brakes is also a smart way to plan.

If you a Friday, I can try to come out. It'd be most useful to get Tyson out there, of course. He's great at diagnosing and tuning in this kind of setting.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
CVR test days

There are Friday's and other test days available at Chuckwalla Valley raceway in beautiful Desert Center also. 17 turn technical track that is mostly flat, well suited to testing 911's.
Palm Springs is also a international airport.

869#
AKA "Gemma"
Old 02-07-2018, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Jack,
Yes, the original discussions when planning the build was to head out with Tyson to test.
Motion Control Suspension guys have been really supportive and also keen to join us if the timing all lines up.
Would be great to get your input on both the track and car so once we have some target dates will let you know.
(reason for the smaller track was the skid pan to play around with motorkhana/gymkhana set up too)

Hi Ted,
Appreciate the other option of Chuckwalla if Willow doesn’t work out.
Thanks.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Love the video!
Old 02-07-2018, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: