Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche Autocross and Track Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

racing wiring harness

I finally got the old wiring harness out of my 79' 930 chassis (what a ***** that was!)that I'm converting into a track car. Can someone recommend a race wiring harness that includes toggle switches, start button, etc. I'm using a 930 engine that is converted to electronic injectors and Clewett ECU.
Thanks,
Alan
Old 02-19-2018, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Tired Member

Garage
Dennis (Timmy2) can build one for you. He does great work on custom harnesses. Here is his thread: Building SC and Mid Year Engine Harnesses
Support vehicle - '00 Suburban 2500 4x4
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 02-19-2018, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SCOTITUDE
Dennis (Timmy2) can build one for you. He does great work on custom harnesses

+1, made me a sweet harness for a custom 930.
1980 911SC #99 track car, 993 3.6, 50 PMO's
2001 BMW 330Ci Vert DD
2016 Ford F150 Supercrew
2016 MB E350 Sport wifey DD
2014 Unmarked Explorer "company car"
Old 02-19-2018, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the input. I’ll contact Dennis.
Thanks,
Alan
Old 02-20-2018, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The only complete motorsports quality wiring harness I have seen commercially available is this one:

https://www.tuthillporsche.com/product/porsche-911-lhd-competition-wiring-loom/

Probably a bit much for the average joe. Ron Francis and Rebel Wire make kits for VW buses and bugs that can be adapted to 911's if you have more time than money. Painless wiring may sell a VW kit too. I wish someone sold a reasonable plug and play 911 harness like they do for other classic cars, without the Porsche tax...
Old 02-21-2018, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

It is really, really easy to make your own wiring harness(es) for many kinds of race cars built from older 911s. My car is a '75, and when I bought it the EFI wiring was added on top of existing factory wiring.

The first offseason I had it I removed most of the factory wiring and then designed and installed my own harnesses and fuse panels.

I kept the large gauge battery wire running from the frunk to the starter. Everything else was removed. I designed a scheme somewhat similar to what Porsche AG used.

I decided to use terminal strips in the front and in the rear for test point access. And I removed the factory fuse panels in replaced them with a modern ATC fuse panel from Pegasus.

I bought wires from various places and chose colors for circuits similar to what Porsche AG used back in the day. I bought various types of shrink wrap from electronics salvage stores. I used several simple connectors for the engine side of things so I could more easily R&R the engine.

I installed wiring for directly powering video camera(s) and a cool shirt system, and for a few extra gauges (like fuel pressure) and dash lights (like brakes on and WOT).

And I created some simple drawings to document everything.

I helped a couple of friends do the same thing with their similar 911-based, EFI-equipped race cars.

Pretty easy and rewarding project.
Porsche Racing Club #4
BMWCCA
NASA

Last edited by Mahler9th; 02-22-2018 at 03:41 AM..
Old 02-22-2018, 03:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Document, document, document.

I would bet there are tutorials out there about how to make your own wiring harnesses. I know there are ones for getting high-quality crimp-on connections. Read up/watch those and look over the diagrams for your car. If you can get one, pick up an extra harness or pull the one from your car. That will give you a template for lengths and such--assuming you follow the stock routing.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 02-28-2018, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
A bit pricy but kind of interesting....

INFINITYWIRE Express Track Car Kit with Switch Panel
Old 03-06-2018, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: