Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Autocross and Track Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
1984 carrera 3.2 SCCA AX class check

I have been running in BSP, B Street Prepared, with my local club and looking at SCCA classes thinking I am in wrong class. No 911 in this club, the only other car in my class is a factory turbo mazda miata.

looking at 2017 book thinking CSP class.

anyone run in SCCA classes?

thanks
Old 02-25-2018, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have my car prepped and fully legal for STR. Depending on mods, the progression for a 1984 carrera is CS-> STR -> BSP -> FP -> SSM -> XP -> (then maybe E Mod?)

BSP is correct for Street Prepared. Good luck dealing with Mazdaspeed Miatas and S2000s. With update / backdate rules the "best" BSP 911 would be a '72 Carrera RS lightweight shell, take a hacksaw to it and add M491 flares, and pick whatever motor makes the most hp/lb. Even if you had the couple of million to blow on that project, it would still be a poor choice.

I'm also going to try and run in HCS this year and see if anyone cries foul. Supposed to be 1974 and older, but "continuation" of the line is OK. Since the 911 is pretty much the same from '64-'89, I figure they're all good for HCS.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Matt
Thanks for feedback! My class is so small with only usually a turbo miata I get second allot.. I just look at other cars in other classes as my benchmark. My 911 has been lighted some and modded suspension with 9s on back, but not a lightweight. I know my first event may be wet and if so I have a great rain tire and I do well.
Its all fun either way.

thanks again.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Locally you'd probably be fine running STR as long as you're on street tires. 9" wheels max, headers, chip, suspension (not coilovers though). You can legally take weight out with seat and battery swaps, but the ST classes were initially made to get the 90s ricer crowd so bumper swaps and door card swaps are usually "close enough" for local events.

Don't worry about that one guy, pay attention to your overall PAX position from event to event to monitor your progress. Ride with fast people, have people ride with you, and you'll climb that chart real fast.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Hi, I don't have much to add to this as far as Scca stuff goes, but I also have a Euro 84 and autocross it (but with PCA).

Upgrade those sway bars to G50 style, and increase torsion bars to about 23/30. Then make sure you have RE71RS or rival S tires. Those are the biggies.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

When I ran my 87 911 in BSP the only way I could be competitive was running 15 wheels with 275/35/15 on the rear. You loose top end speed but gain much better acceleration and the car is easier to rotate. You do loose some top speed but its not an issue on most courses
Old 02-27-2018, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
thanks for additional feedback. I have been AX for several years so its all fun now, lots a good drivers to share experience with and nice club, just wish more local Pcars came out. I do notice a slight difference from my wet set which is 17s and Mich PS AS3 to dry 16s and Toyo RA1 in mass, aside from Toyo grip on dry, the smaller wheel mass is felt. I have seen some cars go to 15s for the same reason.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

275? Bah, that's childs play. Gotta run the 295/35-15 if you want to play in BSP. Released literally today. Just gotta find a 15x10 or 15x11 to stick 'em on.

Hoosier Tire | News | Hoosier Releases Wider A7 Tire for 15" Wheels
Old 02-28-2018, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: