Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Autocross and Track Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Thinking of building a SWB vintage race car.

I've got this old 67 912 that has a 2.0 Six engine in it. I'm very seriously considering building a vintage race car out of it.

Can anyone here share some thoughts, experience on a good setup for both suspension and engine ideas? ...will be a 2.0 and has to be single plug per class rules.

Mostly, I'm interested in how to set up the suspension on a swb car.

Thanks in advance for any info that can be shared.

Jay
'80 911SC Weissach 3.2 Short Stroke Hot Rod
'68 SWB 911T build in progress -The Rat
Old 05-10-2018, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
...must be a very guarded group that race these 2.0 SWB cars.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Honestly most of the SWB cars I've seen are high dollar vintage builds and the guys racing them weren't turning wrenches or reading diy forums. You should look at the 2 liter cup series that just started in Europe. There was a Klubsport series on the east coast too, I think the 901 shop built some cars for it. Maybe someone on the Early S forum or Rennlist has more info.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory M View Post
Honestly most of the SWB cars I've seen are high dollar vintage builds and the guys racing them weren't turning wrenches or reading diy forums. You should look at the 2 liter cup series that just started in Europe. There was a Klubsport series on the east coast too, I think the 901 shop built some cars for it. Maybe someone on the Early S forum or Rennlist has more info.

Thanks Cory. I’m most likely going to sell this SWB car and may build a 2.4 LWB racer. My local club doesn’t have a 2.0 class so I’d be lumped it with CP and be the underdog I think with a 2.0 Single plug just couldn’t hang with the “2.4” cars.

...or I may just keep racing the 914/6 GT
Old 05-30-2018, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have a 67 912 racecar that blew an engine and I replaced it with a 2.0. I race it as CP-1 in vintage and GT-6 in PCA. For sure a 2.0 single-plug won't be competitive against 2.4 cars in CP. The question is whether being "competitive" is what you are looking for in vintage racing. Without question, you would have people to race with.

Rich
Old 07-06-2018, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

2.0 Vintage car

I dove into the deep end, and am about 65% down the path of a high end 914-6GT 2.0 creation.
You really need to decide what you want to do, and how fast you want/can be. Don't build a really expensive car, if you have never gone fast, while racing, before. Fast 2.0 is a very high strung machine. Small RPM window, etc. etc.
What I started saying I was going to build, and what I have now ended up building is 10's of $$$ different.

Best advice I have is build a car with sound roll cage. Get a solid suspension package under it. Then match the gear box (ratios) to the engine and the tracks. Most people spend stupid money on engines, and neglect the gearbox. I would rather have perfect gear ratios and ok engine, then high HP engine and wrong gears.

Scott
Old 07-09-2018, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbraker View Post
I dove into the deep end, and am about 65% down the path of a high end 914-6GT 2.0 creation.
You really need to decide what you want to do, and how fast you want/can be. Don't build a really expensive car, if you have never gone fast, while racing, before. Fast 2.0 is a very high strung machine. Small RPM window, etc. etc.
What I started saying I was going to build, and what I have now ended up building is 10's of $$$ different.

Best advice I have is build a car with sound roll cage. Get a solid suspension package under it. Then match the gear box (ratios) to the engine and the tracks. Most people spend stupid money on engines, and neglect the gearbox. I would rather have perfect gear ratios and ok engine, then high HP engine and wrong gears.

Scott
I currently race a very fast 914/6 GT 2.5 litre twin plug. I get all the basics and agree about the gearbox. ...just was looking for some guidance on prepping a swb car. I've since decided not to build a SWB race car as we really don't have a good class for with my local club. I may however be building a SWB hot rod in the very near future.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: