Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Autocross and Track Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

987.1 scca stu

Is anyone running in SCCAs STU class and PCA Production autoX class?

If so what legal modifications for the classes are you running that make the most difference?

Can one be competive across both organizations with the same 987.1?
Old 05-28-2018, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I only know about STU, I could share what I would do for my build and you could compare it to PCA rules.

First, wheels and tires:
For STU MR cars you get a 255 tire max, 11" wide wheel max. I'd shoot for the 255/35-18 RE71, as it's short at 25" which helps the abysmal Porsche gearing. That tire is rated for a 8.5"-10" wheel, so a 10" rear for sure. Not positive on what fits up front or if you can get that tire all the way around, but I'd try.

Next, suspension:
Camber! A decent set of coilovers that raise the ride rates to 1,8-2.0 Hz would be a guess start, but the car needs camber, especially up front. You can do camber plates or gt3 LCAs but not both. I've heard that camber plates are the better choice because they let you pull the top of the tire in, making more room in the wells for tire.

Honestly, I think that would get you about 90-95% of the way there. I've read there is not a lot of power on the table with headers / tune, so cost/benefit would not be so great on that. Dropping some weight with exhaust / battery is always good. And, depending on setup / swaybar choices, there's a possibility an LSD would be a real good idea. But since that's a little more invasive and not as easily reversible I'd put it off until year 2 or 3 of development.

I'm a proponent of doing a "lite" build first to see how things go. A couple of fairly quick bolt ons and you can get a good idea of how the car would be in full bore STU trim. If the car drives well, is fun, and is competitive enough, that's motivation enough to further the build. If things are immediately pear shaped, it's a quick and easy return to stock with minor financial (and mental) consequences.

Last edited by Driven97; 05-29-2018 at 03:23 AM..
Old 05-29-2018, 02:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Which PCA rules are you talking about? Different parts of PCA follow different rule sets, sometimes even on a Region-by-Region basis! And then there are the Parade Competition Rules (PCRs)...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 05-29-2018, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, The Republic of California. Land of wine and redwoods.
Garage
^^^ +1. Here is a link to what Zone 7 is using.

http://zone7.pca.org/wp-content/uploads/2018-Zone-7-Autocross-rules-final.pdf

If you list your location, you may get more help.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 05-29-2018, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Zone 1 PCA

Has anyone here set up a 987 STU SCCA vehicle? If so what parts do you feel are the best for the price?
Old 06-05-2018, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: