Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche Autocross and Track Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Schroth Flex or HANS?

Anyone have experience with the Schroth Flex? I cannot seem to find much out there other than the factory byline.

Purpose will be DE, finally getting a car with harnesses. I don't wear a racing suit, so I am somewhat concerned about the lack of padding - I'm a relatively bony person in the collar bone area.

I do instruct, so I spend a lot of time in various cars. It seems the Flex might be more comfortable over a range of different seats.

But, no local shop stocks these things so I could try one on for size. Folks I track with all bought a HANS long ago, so that's what they use - no experience with the Flex.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
No need for the Flex. I drive a ton of different race cars (Porsches, BMWs, Mazdas, Prototypes) all with different seat reclines. Not one time I thought I would need a different H&N restraint than the standard 20 degree HANS.

FYI- Buy HANS from overseas (Much Cheaper). Technically, they are not supposed to ship HANS to the USA, but sometimes they do, or order the Schroth copy of the HANS (not Flex) and they will ship it. https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/fhr-hans-devices.

Also, if you know what size Sparco suits you wear, buy those from Demon Tweeks also.....You usally get them in 3 or 4 days (California from UK). The prices are incredible compared to what we pay here in the USA for same suit. https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/race-suits?p=0&w=15&c=3&o=7&f=brand:sparco,
911ST Race Car/2.5L SS Race Motor #02
1972 911T- Numbers matching- Restoring to stock
2011 Porsche Spyder Wht/Blk/Carbon Fiber Buckets/6-Speed (Sold)
2016 Elan NP01 Prototype racecar- Chassis #20, #02

Last edited by Plavan; 06-01-2018 at 06:36 AM..
Old 06-01-2018, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I find my Flex a little uncomfortable on the bones at first. Donít notice while driving. Iím looking for pads.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Will all the cars you instruct in have shoulder harnesses, e.g., 5- or 6-point belts? If not, the HANS may not be useful in those cars. They were initially designed to be held on by the shoulder belts, and looks like that part of the design has not changed.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 06-01-2018, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a HANS is the "safe" way to go re. comfort.

Wow, the price disparity between the UK and the US is rather surprising!

Dave, many cars will have 3-point, and I am aware that the HANS devices (outside the Simpson) are not useful for a 3 point setup. Luckily, the 3 point belts stretch quite a bit, thus lowering the deceleration considerably, and most of the 3-point cars have airbags these days, which should take care of any excessive head movement.

On the other side of the 3-point debate, I am not really comfortable riding in a harness equipped car without a HANS, and this seems to be happening more frequently. Probably should have gotten one a few years ago for that reason alone, even though I've been running stock 3-point belts myself.

I came across this rather convincing video of a relatively low speed crash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g40YatgE_CE
Old 06-02-2018, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

One more data point...

I have a Hans, which is no doubt the 'gold standard'. I have never found it very comfortable to wear. The angles (how it sits on my shoulders w/tight belts) aren't quite right - it doesn't seem to fit as well as it should. That said, I've been unfortunate enough to test it and it worked.

I am just getting back to the track after a few years away and have been upgrading/renewing all my expired safety gear. I am looking hard at the Schroth H&N device due to the flexible lowers, which I assume will allow it to adjust to the angle of my body & seat better. I'm hoping to try one out next weekend and will try to remember to post back with some impressions...

The Necksgen H&N device also looks interesting as it doesn't have hard lower legs at all. It may be the most comfortable and adaptable of all...?

The Hans is the only one w/an FIA safety rating - depending on the organization you run with, this may, or may not matter...

My car is a '74 911 w/Recaro SPG seat, roll bar & 5-point belts. I will be in a spec boxer next weekend...

Tom
Old 06-03-2018, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Northern Motorhead

Garage
Lots of talk on the Rennlist race forum regarding the different restraint devices , i personally
am very happy with my HANS !

89 Coupe,Black,95 3.6 engine and the list goes on ...
1983 944 SP2 race car PCA #96
Old 06-04-2018, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I like to buy my safety equipment from my local dealer (HMS). When I was buying my Hans device I wore it for a bit in the showroom to see how it fit. I told the sales guy "I feel a bit like Anubis wearing this thing." He gave me a funny look until I brought up an image of Anubis on my phone.

Anubis wearing early Hans device:

Last edited by ChrisBennet; 06-06-2018 at 05:22 AM..
Old 06-05-2018, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I found the Simpson Hybrid Sport to be very comfortable
Old 06-05-2018, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I too am (normally) a fan of buying local … but the only local place doesn't keep any H&N restraints in stock, so mail order it is. I ordered the adjustable one, just in case, as it was about the same price as the sport3.

The Simpson Hybrid S was (and still is, due to 3-point compatibility) under consideration, but I've got to find someone who's got one and try it out before spending that kind of money - I worry it will be unpleasant against a relatively hard, vertical seat back.

It is a little known (alternative) fact that Anubis participated in the Egyptian War Chariot Racing Series, and was the first inventor of a HANS device after seeing the Sphinx loose her nose during a moderate impact with a Pyramid …
Old 06-05-2018, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Spoke to Schroth today. New Flex models have relief cuts at clavicle area.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I have a Hans device that I stopped using years ago when I took a break from track stuff. I got back into track stuff and forgot about my Hans in the closet for a couple years. Im going to pull it back out for my next event. But I always felt like I couldn't check my mirrors properly with it. It felt too constricting, and had a lack head turning of motion.

The Schroth Flex sounds interesting, i'll check it out!
Old 06-11-2018, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy View Post
I have a Hans device that I stopped using years ago when I took a break from track stuff. I got back into track stuff and forgot about my Hans in the closet for a couple years. Im going to pull it back out for my next event. But I always felt like I couldn't check my mirrors properly with it. It felt too constricting, and had a lack head turning of motion.

The Schroth Flex sounds interesting, i'll check it out!
You must have a VERY old HANS if you could not turn your head. The tethers are probably expired. See if the sliding tethers will work on your model so you can upgrade and never have an issue turning your head.
911ST Race Car/2.5L SS Race Motor #02
1972 911T- Numbers matching- Restoring to stock
2011 Porsche Spyder Wht/Blk/Carbon Fiber Buckets/6-Speed (Sold)
2016 Elan NP01 Prototype racecar- Chassis #20, #02
Old 06-11-2018, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: