Thread Post New Thread    Reply
GOM (Grumpy Old Man)

FS: 1977 911S Widebody Ratrod

Price: $60K firm
1977 Porsche 911S Widebody
Color: white over black & cork interior
Mileage: 110,XXX miles (and counting)
VIN: 9117201657

The day has reluctantly come for me to say goodbye to my 911. I just returned from Monterey Car week and put approx 2,500 trouble-free miles on it roundtrip. It has been a blast to own/drive. It is simply too raw for me now and I am going with something newer and more comfortable (e.g., softer, air conditioning, cruise control, sound deadening, etc.).

Purchased Oct 2014 with approx 79K miles. It came to me mostly stock with exception of steel turbo flares and rear turbo tea tray spoiler. A detailed list of upgrades and maintenance is below. Most recently, I completed a 3.6 engine conversion in Oct 2017 along with a lot of "while you are in there" maintenance.

This is a driver's car and a 10-footer, albeit a damn good-looking 10-footer (I'm biased). Mechanically, it is solid. It drives like a champ and everything works with exception of the wiper washers. Comes with maintenance records going back to 2001, but most are during my ownership. Clean title in hand and no accidents. I've put ~10K miles on the car since the engine conversion was completed. Whomever ends up buying it can take it in many directions: keep it as is and drive guilt-free, backdate, new paint, etc. Always garaged, non-smoker.

Price is firm and not in a rush. I have a PPI scheduled with John Walker Sep 17 and will make it available to any prospective buyer. I will also get the valves adjusted, oil change, and brakes flushed before delivery to the new owner. Will facilitate shipping at buyer's expense. If you insist on a separate PPI, I only ask we do so at a reputable air-cooled mechanic within 5 miles of downtown Seattle. There are several good shops (Gerber, Group 2, Akers).

Please read the entire ad before asking questions. No trades and no consignment/dealers, please. PM me if interested for fastest response. Thank you for looking. Jim

Build thread: Busta Rib's Tale of a 1977 911S Widebody

Engine
3.6 engine conversion completed in October 2017. Engine came from a 1990 Carrera, mileage unknown. I was told the engine was rebuilt but it wasn't. Oil pump failed on me so I had John Walker rebuild the engine including new cams (stock profile), new-to-me oil pump, refaced rockers, new main and intermediate bearings, crank inspected & polished, new ARP rod bolts, new exhaust guides, new cam sprockets, new oil return tubes, new oil lines, cleaned oil tank, new case studs, new timing chain guide rails, regrind seats and valves, and basically all new gaskets and seals. Pistons/cylinders/rings were deemed in good condition and reused. Full conversion kit from Patrick Motorsports was used.

Following NEW parts were installed with the engine conversion: fuel injectors, fuel lines, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, new coils, spark plugs/wires, oil temp sender, oil pressure sender, O-ring for oil temp/pressure console, cam position sensor, head temp sensor, PMS accelerator cable, clutch/flywheel/throwout bearing, high-torque starter, clutch cable, idle control valve, RS alternator/fan hub and pulley, alternator belt
new custom Mazda RX-7 front center-mount oil cooler including welded Porsche fittings plus new custom Porsche oil hoses, clamps, etc. (April 2018)
new switched cooling fan for fender oil cooler (April 2018)
Carerra fender cooler (April 2016)
Elephant Racing finned oil lines (April 2016)
custom Steve Wong chip
new battery
new engine pad

Exhaust
  • 1.75" ID B&B headers with heat (March 2018)
  • M&K ST GT3-style muffler (August 2018) This is the street version which is slightly quieter than the sport version. Still sounds sporty and louder than stock.

Suspension
  • Weltmeister 22mm front and rear sway bars (Jan 2018)
  • Sway-a-Away 22mm front and 28 mm rear torsion bars (Jan 2018)
  • new Neatrix spring plate bushings (Jan 2018)
  • Elephant Racing front control arm bushings (Jan 2018)
  • corner balanced and alignment (Jan 2018)
  • Wevo engine and transmission mounts with black pillows (Oct 2017)
  • Bilstein HD dampers
  • bump steer kit
  • Turbo tie rods
  • rebuilt front and rear CVs and axles

Transmission
  • stock 915, no grinding.
  • Rennshift short shifter with extra-long lever + Momo Air Raceleather shift knob
  • new shifter and coupler bushings

Tires, Wheels, and brakes
  • new front/rear brake pads (Oct 2017)
  • 17x9 and 17x11 1552 Urban Outlaw monoblock wheels powder coated gloss black (originally matte black). Excellent condition with no curb rash or damage.
  • new Falken Azenis FK453 summer performance tires 235/45 front and 275/40 rear (Oct 2017)
  • 68mm front wheel studs
  • 100mm rear wheel studs

Chassis/body
  • new front and rear window seals
  • GT Racing front lower valance painted with black Plastidip
  • Getty duck tail painted with black plastidip + Al Kosmal perforated grille
  • 964/993 non-powered aero mirrors painted with black Plastidip
  • custom HID projector headlights using H4 buckets
  • professionally painted satin black headlight rings
  • Rennline aluminum blower motor cover
  • Automotion carbon fiber front strut bar
  • Euro front bumper fillers
  • clear front turn lenses
  • all vinyl graphics are removable

Interior
  • RS carpet kit
  • RS door panels w/custom net pockets
  • Super Sound Proofing muti-layer sound deadening
  • custom white/black Coco mats
  • Aluminum floor boards & dead pedal
  • heated Recaro Sportster CS seats with red suede centers
  • UItrasuede-covered rear wall
  • 360mm Momo Monte Carlo steering wheel
  • Rear seat pads and seat belts removed and do not come with the car
  • Alpine stereo with CD player and Bluetooth connectivity and mic
  • new ignition lock cylinder module (April 2018)
  • sunroof
  • pop-out windows

Known issues
  • Mechanically, everything works except the windshield washer.
  • The driver-side window rolls up and down slowly when it is cold (freezing temps). I think the motor is on its last legs.
  • Rear window defroster has a couple elements that are bad.
  • a small area of paint on rear quarter panels has burned through due to tires rubbing (will post close-up photos soon). The affected paint on both fenders is about 1.5" long and eventually should be sanded and resprayed. The rubbing issue has been resolved with thicker torsion bars and sway bars and the tires no longer rub.
  • Paint was originally Minerva Blue and resprayed white by a previous owner. Paint quality is about a 10-footer. No rust, however. It shines up well but could use a respray in the future to really take it to another level.
  • Some minor oxidation on one hole on driver-side rear bumper where the rubber bumper pad used to be. I will sand it down and paint with white touch-up paint.
Spare parts
  • Comes with a matching compressor for the AC. You will need to source the other parts and hoses to install AC system.
  • Rear rubber bumper pads. One stud is broken on one of the pads.
  • rear bumper valance removed and comes with car
  • includes stock banana muffler
  • front amber corner lenses
  • frunk carpeting

Last edited by Busta Rib; 09-10-2018 at 09:19 AM..
Old 08-28-2018, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
GOM (Grumpy Old Man)

More interior photos

Old 08-30-2018, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
GOM (Grumpy Old Man)

Undercarriage and engine shots. I only have one side of heat connected because I didn't have the proper length hose to connect the passenger side after installing the B&B headers.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
GOM (Grumpy Old Man)

I have a folder almost 2" thick with maintenance documentation. I also have some documentation from prior owners going back to around 2001.

Also, I forgot to mention someone scraped the rear driver-side quarter panel while I was parked on the street about 2 years ago. It happened while they were trying to parallel park behind my car. It only did superficial damage to the paint. The panel and metal were not damaged. My insurance company covered sanding and repainting the quarter panel, which was about $1000.

Last edited by Busta Rib; 09-06-2018 at 07:42 AM..
Old 08-31-2018, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
GOM (Grumpy Old Man)

Video walkthrough

https://youtu.be/d2CbBLN0irU

Last edited by Busta Rib; 09-05-2018 at 06:30 AM..
Old 09-05-2018, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
GOM (Grumpy Old Man)

Receipt for Patrick Motorsports conversion parts installed

Old 09-06-2018, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
GOM (Grumpy Old Man)

ttt
Old 09-11-2018, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
GOM (Grumpy Old Man)

I got the car serviced by John Walker. He adjusted the valves, changed the oil, and flushed the brake fluid. I also asked him to do a PPI, which basically involved him going through the car, checking the mechanicals, and driving it.

The only issue he found was a minor oil leak on the right chain cover. He thinks 1-2 grommets need to be replaced if you wanted to eliminate the leak. I just noticed it myself and it currently leaves a small shirt button size drop of oil on my floor.

I have a couple interested buyers, but nobody serious yet. PM me if you have questions.

Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: