Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

77 3.0 Carrera Targa

Grey market
Ca. Registered
Excellent Condition for a 77 with 173,000 miles
Oil system replaced (hoses cooler etc)
New Interior- Carpet- Doorpanels
New Tires, Brakes, windshield, sunvisors, top, radio/cd-speakers, headlights, turn switch, fog lights
According to all the Porsche experts it extremely rare, especailly a real clean runner . Only Noah has a real runner as far as i know or heard of.
Will entertain serious offers @ $12k

Last edited by Wess McCoy; 01-15-2005 at 07:04 AM..
Old 01-08-2005, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
A few questions...about this car and about 77 3.0 Carerras in general:

When was it repainted? Was it originally orange or is this acolor change?

Do you have any records on the car?
How long have you owned it?
Did all Carrera 3.0's have the Carerra graphics on the side? Or did some come from the factory without them?
What major work, engine, trans, etc. work has been done?
I am very familair with Whittier, CA - what shop have you been using for work?
I really like the look of this car, please post additional pix, interior, engine, etc. Thanks in advance - Dan

P.S. Dumb question, what color is original for those headlight rings? Chrome or body matching?
Old 01-08-2005, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I would say that car is gaurd red, looks nice.

Michael
Old 01-08-2005, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

77 3.0 Carrera

Dan,
To answer your questions about the 77 3.0 Carrera Targa.

I don't believe the car was ever "repainted". It appear to have a few places where it was painted or toched up, by to my knowledge it's never be completley repainted.
It's orange....everywhere, inside, underneath, inside the doors in the fender wells, under the bonnet etc. etc. etc.

The only records I have are from my work and or parts purchases.
I know the previous owner quite well and could ask if there is something specific that interests you.

I have had possesion of the car for 2 years, i became the official owner August 2002.

To my knowledge this car didn't come with Carrera graphics.
It is definately a german model with all the indicators to prove so.
This perticular model to my understanding has all the attributes of the Turbo except for the the Turbo. Body, tail, engine specs, etc.
The previous owner had the car since 80 and was his only car. As you know these cars require a certain amount of required maintanence and looking after. he kept up on all of those thing and upgraded as he found it nessesary, or desirable.

As far as i know there have only been recomended upgrades to things like cam oiling, more effecient cooling fan, airbox.
I have replaced all the oil lines and cooler with an aircraft type front fender cooler, cdi, plug wires, clutch cable, tires, headlights, fog lights, spoiler, smile bumper cover,windshield etc.
The car spent 6 weeks with a Porsche guy from Torrance named Adrian Gang. He owns and operates Edelweiss and has for 25+ years.
I known him for that time, but this was first time I needed Porsche work.
He went thru the car and rebuilt the complete brake system( incuding turning the rotors, hoses and wheel bearings), inspected and adjusted the clutch, and it associated linkages.( pedals, cables, spring assist etc.)
He also invesitgated a miss, which followed up to the replacement of a fuel distrbutor that wasn't the correct model for this German car.
The throttle linkage was rebuilt while trouble shooting the miss and finally leakdown tests and a complete valve inspection and adjustment.
He replaced the injectors and the sleeves, r&r ed warm up regulator and adjusted pressure. Adjusted the throttle buttefly valve with vaccum gauge, r&r inspected and adjusted distributor on a Sun machine.
To my knowledge the clutch has been replaced once. I have recently changed the trans oil with the recomended Swepco and found no garbage or metal in the old oil or on the magentic plug.

As i mentioned the car was worked in Torrance @ Edelweiss.

Adrian from Edelweiss recomended a Interior Shop in Torrance that specailzes in european cars and materials.
The shop is called Trim Line & Eureopean Upholstery.
They replaced the complete interior, seats, door panels headliner, carpet...etc. complete.
They also replaced the Targa top.
All was done with the factory materials that I saw and chose from their brochures.

The weather has been so crappy that i only pulled the car out the other day when it cleared and i took it to have it detailed, and didn't take any interior shots.
I will try to see if I can get some shots while in my garage....it's tight but not impossible.

The headlights:
According to the owner, he was stopped by the CHP for the original factory light years ago and was forced to change to US spec hightlights with the little covers. ( Usually body color or chrome. He painted the chrome ones they put on the body color)
He had told me of this ordeal and I opted to reinstall the halogens which came with either chrome rings or black (Pelican parts).
I chose black to fit with the other black accents on the car. Not sure what the originals factory lights looked like or the color of the rings.
Some experts on this board may be able to enlighten us.

I hope that answers your questions, and I'll do what i can to post interior picutres asap....unless you want to make the trip to Whittier....for a close up look.

Wess McCoy

And a complete tuneup. Aircleaner, plugs, oil and filter.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Wes, Thanks for the quick response.

Of course I have to ask why you are selling after only two years of ownership? Particularly since it seems you have put a lot of money into it. Full interior, Targa redo, full brake rebuild, replaced injectors ...and it sounds like more!

Yes, I'd appreciate your uploading some interior pix and some of the engine and from beneath too, if possible. I know the weather will limit what you can do. The local weather has been great, huh? Animals two by two!!

From these pictures, the overall condition and specifically the paint appears to be in incredible condition for an almost 30 year old car - kudos to you and the prior owner. I am pretty anal and the condition of this car and your further statements about the interior have really caught my attention.

You mention knowing the prior owner and his having had it for 20 plus years, can I assume all receipts are available? What were the cylinder pressures when it was tested and how many of those 173,000 are yours?

Last, yeah I'd really like to come over and see it but it's supposed to keep raining until Tuesday! Can we get together then or Wednesday? Are you availabe early enough to see it in daylight? As I said, I know Whittier pretty well, I lived just north of where I think you are judging from the pictures. I was on Eastridge Dr. above Mar Vista, have I got the location about right?

Wes, There seesm to be a break in the weather right now. Any chance you are available in the next few hours? I'll send you a PM with my phone number

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 01-09-2005 at 10:53 AM..
Old 01-09-2005, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Dan,
To further answer your inquiry,
My friend the past owner was driving the car as his only car back and forth from Manhattan Beach to Irivine.
He traveled alot at his job as a contractor for me at my Job.
He left the car in the parking lot at work for trip, and when he returned found the car sittng on the ground with the mags gone....!
He had his staff put it on a pallet and put in storage in one of his striage building until he could ge thru the fight with his insurance to cover the factory mag and high end tires.
After two years of negotiating, he agreed to settlement well below the cost of replacement, but since purchased another vehicle and moved the Newport.
He installed the wheels you see and then considered it his spare car.
he decided to send it to a shop for refurshment work and it sat ther for approx 6 years with no time to deal with.
The shop finally made him move it to his home where it was parked on the grass and got the dailey watering....
By now it had really taken a beating in the suns etc....
he told me out of exasperation one day that if someone would just take it off his hands and off his lawn he would be happy.....
I tld him not to make such a statement, I might take him up on it.
So I got a project, that kept me sain.....and he got his yard art out of sight....he knew it needed a good home and he knew me to that home. This was his baby that while he watched turned into a major project.
In the mean time he became affluent and bought a twin Turbo.
He is a Porcshe finatic....so the old 77 took a back seat.to say the least.
So goes the story of how i became the owner.
Now I'm retired and planning to travel in my diesel pusher, just ordered a new Honda Pilot from my old employer American Honda Motor Co. to tow behind it....etc
With two Lexus, a Porsche, a 40 foot Motorhome and a new Pilot coming the Porsche is longer my project, it's done.....or damn close.
And my house and neighbors don't need any more toys at my house.
I enjoy the car and if it brings me what I'd like to see out if it then I'll let it go....
It's not critical that I sell it and if nesseary I'll move it out of the garage into a storage area beind the garage capsule it, and use it when I find time. enough.......

The paint is what it is....I've already talked to a painter friend of mine to help me se what else i can do to make it better, But i just haven't gotten to it....but saw him last night at the Supercross in Anaheim and re-discussed his help.....

Receipts would be a stretch for my friend which is why it took so long to gain title....he doesn't keep track except in his mind, and doesn't care to.

As far as seeing the car,
I'm retired and my schedule is my own right now, working on the motorhome and in the garage or on the computer....
So a quick call will confirm my wearabouts and schedule.

Damn Close,
My location is Mar Vista Heights, above Mar Vista, North end of Ocean View. really close, walk that area all the time.....

I'm here till around 4:00pm then dinner at Muchas gracias with the kid and her kid.....

themcoyz@aol.com
310 292 1522 cell

regards and sorry for the lengthy message pelicanites...
Wess McCoy
Old 01-09-2005, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

...is someone going to buy this car or do I have to? I mean, an Orange 77 3.0 Carrera Targa with this kind of $$$ spent for $12K? Am I missing something?
Is there some kind of US smog issue? This is a factory 200 horse car, and as rare as rare Porsches get...
Old 01-12-2005, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Wes,

If you have any additional pictures of the interior, engine, trunk, please forward, I may be interested and I have a relative who can take a look at it for me.

Thanks, Brad
Old 01-12-2005, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

A neat car, one of my favorites - what the US version should have been in 1976/77. Would I call it "rare"? Uncommon is more of a better description, as these were Europe-only cars and were not sold here originally. I would suspect there are a whole bunch more of them floating around across the Atlantic than here.

Still, I like these "early 911SCs" and think that they are generally a neat and unusual car to own...

-Wayne
SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)
Old 01-12-2005, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Wes,

e-mail is breedveld@comcast.net

Thanks
Old 01-13-2005, 03:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

No longer available

I'm reluctantly withdrawing the sale of this car.
Thanks and my apologises to all you folks who showed interest, but I've had a change of heart and now feel i was selling it for the wrong reasons....$$$$$$
adios
wess
Old 01-14-2005, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: