We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
||LinkBack||Thread Tools||Rate Thread|
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.
Join Date: Jan 1995
Location: Rolling Hills Estates, CA
Exciting New Job Opportunity at Pelican Parts!!!
Exciting New Job Opportunity at Pelican Parts
It is with great excitement that I announce that Pelican Parts is looking for someone to join our team. Better yet, the job that we’re hiring for may be described by some as a “dream job.” Some of you may recall a recent thread where I described a pet project of mine that I would be starting this year, the Pelican Wiki project:
Help Me Build The Ultimate Porsche Tech Wiki Using This Board!!!
In a nutshell, I am looking for someone to assume the role of Editor, and assist me in building the ultimate Pelican Wiki. Job responsibilities would include:
- Each day the Editor would post a daily topic on the forums and solicit help from the community to search out and compile “the best of” list in a particular thread. Then, the information would be captured, edited and placed on the Pelican Wiki.
- Daily contests would be run where people who contributed the most unique or useful link or information would win a prize.
- The Editor would also perform research on the Internet to find information and links/data not easily found by conventional searches.
- The Editor would field and approve reader “edits” that are generated on the Wiki – checking them for technical accuracy and completeness.
- Archiving and publication of unique and rare literature would also be performed by the Editor. An example would be the scanning and publication of the rare 917 parts manual that Grady Clay sent me a copy of last week.
The goal of the project is to expand on the already-successful model of Pelican Parts, and move the site to the next level, where it becomes *the* portal where all information having to with anything Porsche or BMW can be found or referenced in one spot. Examples of information I can think of off the top of my head would include:
- The ultimate Fuchs data compilation page (sizes, photos, materials, etc.)
- Model number / serial number information for all cars
- Everything I can find on the Porsche 959
- All information on brake system upgrades for the 911
- The history of Porsche & the family
- Collection of photos, blueprints, and other photo literature
- Complete archive of links to every tech article ever written
One of the key components of the project is to capture and organize a ton of “lost” information that is hiding in the Pelican forums (and other forums like Rennlist). At times, it can be very difficult to find pertinent information. I aim to create a “nominate this for the Pelican Wiki” link in the forums that you can simply click on to send an email note to the Editor for inclusion of that post in the Pelican Wiki. A major source of content would be Warren Hall’s posts on the forums here.
Job number two of the Editor would be to sell advertising on both the Pelican Wiki and the Forums site. This would most likely be a commission-based role, and I would expect the sales of these ads (from companies like Leland West Insurance, Pirelli Tires, etc.) to assist in paying the base salary of the Editor position. There is a tremendous untapped potential for advertising revenue on both the Pelican Wiki and the Pelican Forums, and if implemented correctly, the advertising funds can be used to create and grow the Wiki project.
This position would be a telecommuting position – you do not need to be located in Southern California. We’ll set you up with remote access and an IP phone integrated with our phone system. We already have five people who work from home in this manner in our sales department. As a Pelican employee, you would participate in all of the programs and benefits that we offer our current employees. What would be better than working from home, talking and learning about Porsches all day long, and getting paid for it? Man, I wish *I* had this job.
Obviously, a position like this could appeal to a broad group of people. As of right now, I do not have a set of qualifications that I am looking for, but I think I will know if it’s a match when I meet and interview the person. Obviously, Porsche / BMW knowledge is a must, as are good computer skills. Also, good English / typing skills are valuable. You must be independent, and a self-starter. You must really be project-oriented, and be able to work from home without getting distracted. For the sales side of the equation, sales experience is a huge plus as well. Salary would probably be in the $30-40K+ base range with ad sales commission on top of that (depending primarily on experience). If you’re really good and successful at selling the ad space on Pelican, then the commission plan would help boost your salary. Obviously fit with Pelican and experience in similar ventures are important factors in determining what the base salary will be.
So, there you have it. Seems like a pretty good deal to me, and a chance to join an exciting, growing company. Pelican’s sales last week were up more than 45% over 2007 levels – we must be doing something right. I see this position as a chance to invest back into the growth and expansion of the company. Who knows, if the site and concept are successful, then I can see expanding the concept to include other makes and models as well – spinning the site off into an automotive portal.
If you have an interest in this position, then please send me your resume, along with a letter on why you think you’d be ideal for this (email to firstname.lastname@example.org). I suspect that I will get a ton of responses to this inquiry, so please bear with me on response time. Don’t send me a PM through the board.
Thanks for listening!
Wayne R. Dempsey, CEO, Pelican Parts Inc., and Author of:
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 • How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines • 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman • 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997
Coming in 2014:
• 101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
|03-10-2008, 11:39 PM||
|Rate This Thread|