Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Cars For Sale

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

DP 935 For Sale

Price Now Reduced to US $45,000

Hello all-

Due to some personal and business issues that have arisen, I'm currently forced to sell my 1982, DP 935.

I'm looking to get $45,000.

It is based on a 1982, ROW 911 Turbo (930) (Belgium), was originally built for Mario Andretti, and was owned by (baseball/gambling legend) Pete Rose when he and Mario were co-owners in a race team. (Have the original loan papers, etc).

I bought it about 4 years ago in San Diego, where it was sitting for most of the previous 20 years. I've put nearly 40 thousand miles on it in 4 years, and done a few track days with it as well.

I ended up replacing all the brakes, bearings, hoses, etc., etc over the last few years. I've also put in a light-weight clutch and fly wheel, RUF-vavled Biltein shocks, and stiffer torsion bars.

It's got just under 80,000 miles on it, but had a COMPLETE, $25,000 engine rebuild at Weissach about 500 miles ago (last month) due to an overboost problem that caused some minor detonation in 3 of the 6 cylinders. it's still in the break-in period.

New work includes:

-- new P&C's (3 of 6 were detonated, but all 6 were replaced)
-- new Imagine Auto turbo and fuel head
-- new cams
-- new B&B intercooler
-- new B&B headers
-- new B&B muffler
-- much much more

The car is now putting out just under 500 HP at .8 bar.

The list goes on and on... and all work was performed by Weissach Performance here in Vancouver. The car has been meticulously maintained over the past 4 years that I've owned it, with no expense spared.

It has 2 Sparco Milano seats in it, but the original Sport Seats (non-powered) and rails come with it.

The original wheel fans come with it. 2 years ago I had the BBS wheels refinished and the wheel fan attachment points properly helicoiled. It also comes with 17x7.5 and 17x9 Cup 1 wheels.

The rear tires are special order (345/35/r15's), and take about 3 months to be delivered, but I have 2 brand new ones that will come with it.

The front carpet was falling apart when I bought it, and I've never bothered to replace it. I've got the original floor mats (that say DP 935 on them), but the typically glued in carpet is not there at this time. The side door pockets are also removed due to being warped beyond use. The interior is going in to be fixed later this week, so all will be 100% handled.

I've also put in an aftermarket Alpine stereo, with a "set-in" sub that is meant to just sit behind either front seat... the sub is not permanently installed, and is easy to remove if desired.

I've been a very active member (Exec) of the local PCA for the past 3 years, and the car is very well known to all of the local shops, so getting a PPI will be no problem.

These pics are from within the last year or so, and I will be taking more detailed pics of the car within the next couple of days.

Thanks!

Last edited by jeffgrant; 11-23-2008 at 05:56 PM..
Old 07-07-2008, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

For those not familiar with DP, here's a brief description of what a DP is:

Quote:
935 DP, description and technical data

The new DP 935 type II is a further development of type I, that has been built successfully for 6 years. It resembles the racing car bodies designed and built by our company which enabled Klaus Ludwig to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the racing sports chanpionship in the same year.

Basic model is always the Porsche 911. It is of no importance, however, if a Porsche S-C, Carrera, Turbo, Targa or Convertible is being modified. The following major modifications measures turn a Porsche into a DP 935:

1 front spoiler with headlights, turn signals, glass covers and oil cooler grid
1 rear bumper with tail lights and license plate illumination
2 flat front fenders with grilles, wheel flares, and tank pit
2 rear side parts with brake ventilation and wheel flares
2 large doors sills with embedded logotype
1 trunk hood, oilcooler exhaust duct
1 rear spoiler with large grille, additional air lovers and improved loading air supply
2 outside rear view mirrors (Genuine racing type)
1 heavy duty oilcooler in the front of the car
2 rims in front, 9 inches, with 2 tires 225/50x15/P7
2 rims in the rear, 13 inches, with 2 tires 345/35x15/P7
4 spacers
1 front acle reinforcement bar
1 center console (various equipment options)
1 foot support
1 completely new suspension kit
2 stabilizers in front and in the rear
1 complete paint job with outside color striping
1 approval by state safety agency

Optional Equipment:

various interiors in leather and velours materials
various stereo equipment
consoles with different instrumentation
(mine has) performance improvements of the turbo engine up to 400 hp
(mine has) adjustable boost on turbo models
(mine has) large boost gauge
aspirating engine with increased displacement and power
(mine has) special steel exhaust systems
targa or convertible version with turbo engine
aluminium roll bar with leather cover
(mine has) modified hi-performance front suspension
(mine has) shorter shifting distances
various sport seats
light weight bodies

Mine also has AC and a power sunroof.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

And here's a Road and Track article about the DP 935.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road And Track -- The Specialty File -- by Csaba Csere -- 1982

DP 935

Fantasies fulfilled, no waiting.

What's your most outrageous automotive fantasy? Being strapped into the beak of a 917 as it screams along the Mlsanne straight, clawing for speed without end? Being the center of automotive attention, experiencing vicarious adulation in a machine that inspires universal respect? Perhaps you're turned on by the thought of mastering a car so potent, so lethal, that any serious mistake is likely to be your last. Or do you simply wish to rise above your peers by driving a car so far beyond the capabilities of the four-wheeled masses that you will feel like a god on wheels?

Here's a car that can fulfill every one of these fantasies with startling realism. The DP 935 started lifes as a Porsche 930, but has been transformed into a roadgoing facsimile of a racing 935. The fiberglass panels that accomplish this were flawlessly executed by Designer Plastics Automobilbau, the bodywork couturier of Kremer Racing, among others. The oversize rear spoiler; the hopelessly low, curb-fouling, deeply ducted front air dam; the tiny, aerodynamic, nearly useless mirrors; the running boards; and the broad, multifariously vented fenders combine to create the 935 look convincingly enough to freeze knowledgeable car lovers dead in their tracks.

Inside the DP 935, the competition imagery continues. Although the sumptious Porsche leather interior is retained, a serious go-fast ambiance is imparted by the oversize boost guauge; the pure-racing, perforated-aluminium dead pedal; and the very businesslike adjustable boost knob directly astern of the shift lever. A pair of Porsche sport seats are comforatble and suppotive enough to locate the passengers against the omnidirectional accelerations this car produces. No sound system is provided, or particularly missed; sensory overload is already ensured by the DP's raspy exhaust, over-the-nose-cone-view, and heavy thrust.

Generating this thrust is a DP modified engine. The carefully assembled stock 930 motor was ripped apart and blueprinted to stricter-than-Zuffenhausen standards, the heads were ported and polished (along with the turbo's inlet housing), and the compression was bumped up a tad. peak boost is set at 16 psi, more than 3 psi higher than in a stock 930. The engine was also emissions-certified in America with a catalyst in lieu of the muffler; this modification substituted a sharper rasp, though not much louder, for the standard 930's whooshy sound. It did no, however, permit the engine to run on any unleaded fuel that we could find, so we resorted to heavy transfusions of octane booster to keep detonations at bay.

Our miscreancy was rewarded with rocket-sled performance. The DP 935 lunged from a standing start to 60 mph in a mere 4.6 seconds, 100 came up in but 10.5 seconds, and 130 was only another 8.8 seconds away. It scorched the quarter-mile in 12.8 seconds at 112 mph. But even these fabulous figures don't convey the car's sheer thrust. The DP 935 delivers an incredibly strong shove in the back, and the punch never seems to quit. Even at 120 mph it pulls harder than a Scirocco at 50. Not until well past 140 mph does your breath come back and the acceleration of this juggernaut fall to a familiar level.

In light of this tremendous proclivity for speed, the car's peak of 162 mph is a bit disappointing. But with the DP's fifteen-inch tires (the stock diameter is sixteen inches), the engine is revving well beyond its power peak at top speed. The exhaust-plugging, after-market catalyst probably didn't help the power curve past 6000 rpm either.

Ther smaller-diameter tires are part of the DP 935's chassis meliorations. Porsche forged wheels, eight and eleven inches wide, front and rear, are shot with 205/50VR-15 and 285/40VR-15 Pirelli P7 gumballs. The suspension is lowered and stiffened as well. These changes firm up the ride considerably, but the motion left within the limited suspension travel is fluid and supple. Like the rest of the car, this suspension feels best in triple-digit speed ranges. It also happens to work around corners; on the skidpad, we measured 0.84 g of stick, the best we've ever seen on a roadgoing Porsche.

These landmark performance measurements bolster the DP 935's postion as a paragon of automotive omnipotence. And for a mere $95,000, Richard Buxbaum of Classic Motors in Chicago can make it yours. That may seem a bit high, but fantasy fulfillment never comes cheap.

--Csaba Csere

Vehicle type: rear-engine, rear-wheel-drive 2-passenger, 2-door coupe
Price as tested: $95,000
Engine type: turbocharged and intercooled flat 6, aluminum block and heads, Bosch K-Jetronic fuel ingection
Displacement: 201 cu in, 3299 cc
Power (SAE, net, estimated): 390 bhp @ 5500 rpm
Transmission: 4-speed
Wheelbase: 89.4 in
Length: 170.0 in
Curb Weight: 2910 lbs
Zero to 60 mph: 4.6 seconds
Zero to 100 mph: 10.5 seconds
Zero to 130 mph: 19.3 seconds
Standing 1/4 mile: 12.8 secs @ 112 mph
Top speed: 162 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 179 ft
Roadholding, 282-ft-dia skidpad: 0.84 g
Road horsepower @ 50 mph: 13.5 hp
C/D observed fuel economy: 17 mpg
Old 07-07-2008, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

And the Pete Rose Lien paperwork:

Old 07-07-2008, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Here are a few more pictures, some older (to show the wheel fans attached, as per request).

FYI, the wheel fans were attached to the car when I originally bought it, and there was a lot of brake dust trapped behind them, between the fans and the BBS wheels. As a result, the dust ate away a bit at the finish of the BBS's, and they were less than stellar. On top of that, the wheel fans were simply screwed into the magnesium centres of the wheels... less than ideal, especially if you wanted to remove and re-attach them more than once.

As a result, I had the wheels totally rebuilt and redone about 2.5 years ago... new gaskets, polished, re-painted, etc. I also had the mount points for the fans heli-coiled so that the attachment points were now much, much better, and designed to be re-used many, many times.

Still, I tend not to run with the fans, as they still trap the brake dust somewhat, and are more prone to causing problems with the finish of the wheels.

I should also mention that I contacted DP about 2 years ago to get a new set of decals (rocker panels, rear lid, etc). While George Zimmerman (the father) is no longer involved with the company, his son is (I can't remember his name off hand), and he was quite excited to talk to me, as he remembers this particular car being built in the shop, and Mario coming in to see the progress of the build-up. (I think the son was about 7 or 8 at the time). He ended up giving me 2 sets of replacement decals for free, and I still have some "extras" in a box somewhere in my garage that will be included.

I should also point out that some of these pictures are a couple of years old, and were taken before the replacement "DP" decals were put on.

Last edited by jeffgrant; 07-09-2008 at 03:07 AM..
Old 07-09-2008, 03:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Not sure if it was clear in the original post, but I'm open to offers. Just not trades, thanks!

...jeff
Old 07-11-2008, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Still for sale, still open to offers.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

bump
Old 07-21-2008, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Bump.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Motivated to sell... make me an offer.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Price reduced to $55,000
Old 09-20-2008, 12:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Price now reduced to US $45,000.

No unreasonable offer refused.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2008, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Price now reduced to $30k Canadian.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Seems that I've generated a fair bit of interest here, and just wanted to clarify that I HAVE to make this happen by the end of the month, as in Friday. And by "this" I mean "cash in my account".

I can provide the phone number to the shop that did all the work (Weissach, here in Vancouver, BC), and Stuart, the Service Manager, will be more than happy to discuss the work they've done to the car, etc. (They were the ONLY ones to service it in the 4 years I've owned it).

I can also provide a large number of personal references for both myself and the car, as I'm very active in the local Porsche community.

See: http://forum.pca-cwr.org or http://bulletracing.ca for some examples.

Thanks!

...jeff

Last edited by jeffgrant; 04-29-2009 at 12:06 PM..
Old 04-28-2009, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

As mentioned earlier, the interior needs a new carpet set.

I'd thought I had already posted some interior shots, but I guess I hadn't.

Here are a few shots:

Old 04-28-2009, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Also, I have the original sport seats that would go with the car. The Sparco Milano's, harness bar, and harnesses would NOT go with the car, as they've just been sold to another person.

Here are the pictures of the sport seats from 2 days ago (sorry for the blue tarp!).

The only real issues with them is that there is a small bit of the piping on the driver's seat, around the waist area, that has been worn... probably due to a cel phone on the belt or something. (It was like that when I got it).

Old 04-28-2009, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

And the car would also come with 2 of the 345/45/r15 rear tires that have never been used. They are special order from Tire Rack only, and generally have a 3-6 month wait time, so I stocked up just in case I needed one (or 2).
Old 04-28-2009, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Sale pending. Thanks for all the interest.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: