Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1981 Porsche 924 Turbo Guards Red Low Miles 60k No Rust - $3500

Up for sale is a pristine example of a 1981 Porsche 924 Turbo. This car was sold and stayed in Fargo, ND all of its life. Sold new on June 25th, 1981 at Valley Imports. Resold again through Valley imports in 1987 to it's long time owner, a doctor from Fargo whom owned the car until spring of 2008.

Many of the original oil change stamps are documented in the owners manual along with a couple of receipts from Valley imports in 1990. One of the receipts shows a request for a quote to have the entire car resprayed Guards Red. I do not have the receipt but the paint was changed from a brown color to Guards Red in or about 1990. All windows were removed and the color change was done with amazing detail. All door jams were done and no taping seems can be seen.

On August 5th 1997 the turbo was replaced by Sportscar Engineering of
Moorehead, MN.

All DMV registration cards state the car stayed in North Dakota all of it's life. This is good news as they do not use salt which means this car is still 100% rust free. It is very very very clean with only a few dings over the entire car. It looks as if the front seats were recovered at some point in the cars life. If you know 924's at all, you know that the center console plastic can become very brittle and crack over time. All of the console plastic in this car is intact and in good condition.

This beautiful example of a 924 Turbo is in very original and complete shape. The radio is original and even the motorized antenna works as it should. Both headlight motors work well and all lights work perfect. The only things I have noticed are that the radio goes silent every once in a while and the hatch struts need to be replaced. The tires have plenty of tread left and the wheels are in great shape.

The oil change stamps show that the car was definitely used as a weekend or fair weather car only. With only 45,160 miles at its final stamp in 1993. A quick conversation to learn more about the car last spring confirmed that the mileage on the odometer is correct at only 60,741 miles and it has not rolled over. The odometer has been fully functional for the entire life of the car. The longtime owner/docter owned a few other automobiles which kept the miles off of this particular 924 Turbo.

Last spring while taking the car out of storage the owner started the car to let it warm up, within a few minutes the exhaust was hot enough to start the mouse nest near the exhaust on fire. This spread to the fiberglass rear valance and melted some of the rubber on the rear bumper ultimately scorching a portion of the rear paint with black char. The car was considered a total loss by his insurance company and he let it go. Unfortunately this gave the title a Prior Salvage stamp.

The car was shipped to St.Paul, MN where it was put up for auction. After examining the car at auction I was surprised to see that the rest
of the car was in such great shape. I then purchased the car from the auction and started to work on getting it road ready again. A quick tune up with new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor made the car drivable to the body shop.

The body shop had absolutely fantastic news. After removing the rear bumper and sanding the paint, they found NO body filler. The good news continued by saying that the panels were still so straight that that they would not have to use any new body filler either. The only bad news was that the fiberglass rear valance would not be able to be saved. As this was an accessory piece and not original, I was unable to source a new or used one. It was decided to leave it off keeping the OEM look to the rear end.

The car was finished last fall and driven only a handful of times before putting it in storage for the winter. The new title arrived over the winter from the state and I have it in hand ready to sign over to the new owner. As stated before, it is stamped prior salvage.

I have decided to sell the car as I am in need of a 3/4 ton truck for home projects and to haul my boat. I will consider straight trades or trade plus cash on my end if it is the right truck. Looking for mileage of less than 150k, ext. cab, rust free Chevy, Ford, Dodge or similar.

Price is $3500 or best offer. It is best to email me at amtrakjack@gmail.com
or call 651-338-5225
Thanks
Jack

On to the pictures.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: