Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Cars For Sale

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

1972 911T Coupe - Running California Car

I have ended up with too many 911's, including three 72's and one 69 (for those of you interested, I describe how this happened here: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-marketplace-discussion/472013-update-search-72-a-post4652823.html#post4652823 ). I don't "need" 4 cars and have decided to offer this one for sale. I purchased this car with the intention of restoring it, as it is very solid, complete and unmolested, and because the original color is aubergine, but think I really should part with it and focus on the other three.

Basic information about this 72T Coupe
This car is very complete, including the full MFI and runs, although I think it needs a thorough going through to drive it any distance. The only thing that I have noticed missing from the car is one rear reflector, a knob or two in the interior and the door pockets. Otherwise, it looks like everything is there. The posted photos are from the PO. I have since replaced the exhaust with correct heat exchangers and muffler, and will post new photos hopefully by the end of the weekend. This is a blue plate California car and the COA from Porsche indicates that it is a numbers matching car. Options as reflected on the COA include stabilizers f/r, comfort package, air conditioning (which is still there), tinted glass and Pirelli tires.

Exterior and body of this 72T
The original color of this car was aubergine, but it has been repainted silver, and the clear coat in several areas is showing age. The paint on the rear deck lid seems to have had some issues as it is completely shot, and the rear license plate panel looks like it has heat damage. The car has only one rust spot that I have found, which is at the lower passenger side corner of the rear window. I have had it up on a rack and the floors and front pan are very solid, still having the original sound-deadening material on the inside and no evidence of rust or prior repair from the underside (although the pan has the typical impressions from jacking, but nothing too severe). The body is very straight, with good even gaps everywhere except the rear deck lid (due to the rust in the corner), and the doors still close with the expected Porsche ping. I bought the car with intention of returning it to aubergine.

Interior
The interior is in good condition, with a very decent headliner, good recaro non-sport seats (one tear in driver's seat and some cracking in in the side of one of the headrests), I believe the carpet was replaced at some point, the dash cracked in the typical spots, and it's missing front and rear door pockets. The door panels are in very nice shape, but do have speakers installed, as does the rear parcel shelf. Non-original Alpine stereo.

Mechanical & Drivetrain
The car starts and drives, but I believe it needs a thorough going through as the motor seems a bit tired. The car has oil-fed tensioners, so it has had some attention at some time in the past. When I bought the car, there was a completely ridiculous non-standard exhaust on the car (header with a home-made stainless muffler - see the photo from when I bought it), and I have replaced this with correct heat exchangers and muffler. The car is still set up with twin batteries. The transmission feels a bit sloppier than the typical 915, but shifts fine without any grinding, so I believe the car may need shift bushings. Car has 15" fuchs and rubber holds air, but tires need to be replaced.

Car is currently titled and registered in my name, and stored in Van Nuys, CA not far from several well-known shops and restorers. I originally bought this car because it was a very solid and unmolested California car worth restoring, and I like aubergine. But in the scheme of things, this is now the most likely candidate to be sold given that I have three others. In terms of price, I am asking $11,900, but am open to reasonable and informed offers as well as potential trades. Please note that these photos are from the prior owner.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

I have received a remarkable number of inquiries for the car over the last 24 hours, and believe I have responded to everyone. As a quick update, the car went up on the lift today to get photos of the underside and install the heat exchangers & muffler, although I didn't quite get to putting the exhaust back on because we spent most of the day taking the 69 apart, so the exhaust is still off the car. Some additional updates on the car and responses to some of the questions I've received:
- In the process of moving the car, it appears that the brakes have failed as the pedal went to the floor as we tried to stop the car. By way of history, I did drive the car back and forth between Van Nuys and Simi Valley before I bought it and the brakes worked fine at that time, but that was close to six months ago. When I bought the car about 2 months ago, I trailered it back to my place, but the car drove onto the trailer and stopped fine. We've pushed it around the storage a bit over the last couple of months with no indication of a brake problem. I haven't tried to figure out the issue, but I doubt it is anything serious. However, as a result, the car obviously can not be driven. I am more than happy to work with anyone who is seriously interested in the car to get it over to one of the local shops in the San Fernando Valley for a PPI, as I have a trailer.
- Several people have asked me if I have any service records or mechanical history for the car. I do not. The only paperwork I have is the service book that indicates the car was delivered in New Mexico in March of 1972. No other records were available when I bought the car. Again, it does have oil fed tensioners, so there has been some attention along the way, but I have no idea when or what else has been done. I have taken numerous photos of the underside of the car as it was up on the lift, including the exhaust ports as the heat exchangers were removed (see link below). Since I was planning on doing a complete restoration, I expected to rebuild the motor.
- Yes, the car has the complete MFI and it is installed on the car.
- As the car was up on the lift this afternoon, I took numerous photos of the underside, which can be found here: http://picasaweb.google.com/geshaghian/Aubergine72T?feat=directlink
The pan is very clean, with no rust evident anywhere. The jack points and rockers are all solid. The pan does have the typical dents where someone has tried to jack up the car and dented the pan slightly at the corners, but these seem relatively mild to me and could probably be pushed back out easily. The rear of the car has no scrapes at all and looks very clean (other than oil and road grime of course), but the bottom of the gas tank is dented a bit and the bars that lead up to the front bumper overriders also are scraped significantly and show some rust. There is some mild surface rust on the bottom edge of the front bumper, but this has not affected the integrity of the metal at all.
- The transmission number also matches the COA, so this is an all matching numbers car.
- The car still has dual batteries
- I will likely get more photos of the exterior and interior of the car later in the week when the exhaust has been reinstalled and the car comes back down off the lift. However, if someone is interested in the car wiithout the exhaust or wants to reinstall it on there own time after completion of a rebuild, I'm happy to leave it off and it might make me a bit more flexible in price.
- The best way to reach me is either via email or my cell phone, which is 818-915-3606
Thanks again for all the interest.
George
Old 05-09-2009, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

I have added more photos of the engine bay, front trunk (including battery boxes), interior and the rust spot around the rear window. If there are any specific photos that anyone needs beyond what is posted, please send me an email and I will do my best to get it in the next day or so. Thanks
Photo link:
http://picasaweb.google.com/geshaghian/Aubergine72T?feat=directlink

Old 05-11-2009, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
1972 , california , early 911 , mfi , oil door