Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Cars For Sale

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
FS: 1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (951) - Calgary, AB - $4000CDN OBO

This car is originally from the southern US, it was brought to NY in 2004, and I bought it from the owner in NY in December, 2004. The car had 163,000 miles on it at the time. I processed all of the import paperwork in January, 2005 and the car has been registered in Alberta since then. It does not require an OOP inspection and it completed the import process over 4 years ago.

The body has just over 172,000 miles on it, however many things have been replaced or upgraded. I will address as many things as I can in a list here but if you have further questions please do not hesitate to email me and ask for more information.

Drivetrain - Original transmission was replaced prior to my purchase with one having only 35,000 miles on it. At that time the PO had a Guard limited slip differential installed. The transmission now has approx 45,000 miles on it. One CV joint started knocking in 2006 (4000 miles ago) and at that time both shafts (including both joints) were replaced with brand new GKN units. Rear and front wheel bearings were done at the same time, and the fronts have been adjusted properly each year. The transmission oil was changed when I bought the car and should be changed again in 2011.

Engine - After purchase the engine was found to have a badly burned head gasket, further inspection showed badly scored cylinders as well. The block was bored from 100 to 101mm and aftermarket pistons were installed. Stock compression ratio and piston design were used. The engine got new rod and main bearings, all new gaskets and seals and new balance shaft bearings. The valve seats had a 3-angle grind done and the timing belt was replaced as well. The entire engine was rebuilt from the ground up. All block/head work was done by Precise Engine Rebuilders in Calgary and the new engine was installed in late 2006. The timing belt was re-tensioned at 1500 miles and is set to go for 5 years / 30,000 miles from this time.
While the engine was out we replaced the clutch and pressure plate.
Since this work one of the exhaust headers has cracked and an exhaust leak can be heard although I am unable to see the crack. Also since this work the oil pan gasket has begun to leak and should be replaced to keep everything nice and dry.
This engine has had its oil changed every 6 months since purchase (since I have never hit the 3000 mile mark in under 6 months it was changed due to age) but is due for another oil change now.

Body - there is some damage to the front right corner of the bumper, then some further damage on the driver's side (door, rocker panel and a dent in the quarter panel). This damage was present when I bought the car, I had an estimate done to repair the damage and re-paint the car from S.O.S. autobody (recommended by South Centre Fine Cars) at $3300, however I decided to tackle the mechanical bits first so this was never completed.
The windshield has only very minor chips and no cracks, the rear glass has been tinted.

Interior - The driver's seat shows significant wear and the dash has the usual cracks. The vinyl on the roof is sagging a bit. I tucked it back under the trim pieces last year and it looked good all summer, but it sagged again over the fall/winter. If glued back up it should be fine. The rear speakers have been replaced with Infinity 6.5" speakers, but the front (4x6) need replacement. The car currently has an older pioneer 4 channel amplifier and a newer Alpine (CDA-7995) CD/MP3 player installed in the dash. The interior is missing a couple of screw and switch covers. The hatch carpet has been removed due to dirt / damage. An aftermarket dual gauge A-pillar pod has been installed, the lower position has an aftermarket mechanical boost gauge, and the upper spot is currently empty (I had planned on placing an oil temperature gauge here). The air conditioning works perfectly and is presently charged with Red Tek (R12a)

Electrical - The cluster is slightly malfunctioning. The "Engine Oil" light is always on since the engine was replaced with one from a 1986 model year (before being rebuilt) and it does not have the engine oil level sensor (this needs to be bypased) and the driver's side airbag clock spring is broken and so the airbag / seatbelt lights are always illuminated. The ground wire for the rear defroster is broken and needs to have a new end put on it. The rear wiper motor is non-functional (it is connected, but appears the motor has died) and will need to be replaced. I have a spare and if I can locate it in my garage I can provide this with the car.

I think the list above shows I have tried my very best to be accurate and disclose every single issue I am aware of with this car. Unfortunately it is for sale since I am unable to drive or maintain this car any longer. It has sat for the last 2 years being driven only 500 miles in this time and I can't stand to just let it sit there any more. I would like to pass this on to somebody who has the passion for german cars and is able to give this car everything it needs to be fun and enjoyable again. I believe the car is priced to reflect its deficiencies and I hope another enthusiast can enjoy everything this car has to offer.

The car is not currently plated or insured so I am sorry but no test drives beyond the alley behind my house. Before driving the car should have the rotors turned (to remove surface rust which has accumulated). I oiled the cylinders and checked all fluids before firing the car up recently and it does currently run and drive, however the brakes sound terrible from the surface rust.

Here are some links to pictures of the car:
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/5094/1001331.jpg
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/5155/1001329i.jpg
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7513/1001332.jpg
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/4535/1001341.jpg

For further information or to contact me please email me at
chris (at) therowats.info

Buy my parts!
Old 09-01-2009, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If my pricing is out of line feel free to make me an offer. I've talked to a lot of people about the car but so far nobody has come to take it from my yard. I really need to make this car go away so let me know what its worth to you.

Buy my parts!
Old 09-07-2009, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Bump!

Buy my parts!
Old 09-14-2009, 10:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Sold!

Buy my parts!
Old 09-25-2009, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: