Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Cars For Sale

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1978 911sc Targa Cabriolet Conversion - Silver/Black $10,950

19 years ago I purchased this 1978 Targa (odometer showed 52K miles)and had it professionally converted to a cabriolet. The car was taken down to metal, Targa top removed, proper cabriolet metal reinforcement panels where welded in place, complete new OEM black carpet set installed, correct inner carpeted side panels installed, proper OEM 1983 cabriolet top installed as well as authentic 1984 German black canvas top with the larger back plastic window. The car was professionally re-painted it's original silver metallic - paint work alone was $7000.
I also added a really nice pair of electric seats from an '86 911. I spent a total of $14K on the conversion.
I sold the car after a few years of ownership to a Seattle Police officer back in 1997. He kept it for several years and then sold it to another gentleman in Seattle who has owned it for the past 5 years. He contacted me and asked me to sell it for him – He owns a few Porsches and now wants some garage space back.
The car looks beautiful – Paint still looks very good - no dents or scratches that i can find - some scufffs down low here and there but nothing that stands out. Top canvas and rear window/canvas boot are all in great condition. Plastic window very clear and not abused - The car was mainly stored and not driven – 99% of the time the top has been down and car stored in the garage. It now shows 63K on the odometer so driven only 11K in almost 20 years – the service records are not with the car unfortunately so the mileage is undocumented.
The car runs and drives very well however there is some clutch chatter at times and may just be that there is some buildup on the flywheel which was an issue with one of my Porsches recently.
The car has a short shift kit and new tires. Dash is not cracked, door panels and carpets are veru good - seats could use some leather conditioner as there are some slight cracks here and there. Car idles and runs well - there is a slight miss sound during idle - hard to detect but i can hear it - doesn’t blow any blue smoke however one cylinder was low on the compression test done this past week at AKERS PORSCHE so a valve adjustment is most likely needed.
The car would benefit from an overall tune up and brake flush since the car has been sitting and not used much. Also when it rains there is a slight leak at the drivers wing window seal where it meets the cabriolet top – owner never got around to replacing it so a new set of seals are included with the car. The drivers side top latch is sometimes difficult to engage and get to clamp shut so it will need attention - as mentioned this car was a sunny day driver with the top kept down and boot on so the top mechanism wasn't used much.
- Usual 1st gear syncro going bad
- Compression 145,140,140,145,130,140
- Brakes 90% - does pull a bit to right under braking
- Cabriolet top latch on drivers side sometimes difficult to latch. needs attention. Cab. top seal needs replacing.
- Slight seapage from transmission - no drips and slight seapage from engine cam tower - no drips.
This car would make a great weekend driver – it may need a clutch if it is to be used as a daily driver.
I have uploaded a short video on youtube showing the car being started, engine rev’d and also a short drive. Downshifting into 1st gear must be done at a very slow speed because of the syncro. This is a common problem with these 915 transmissions and not worth the $3500+ for a rebuild. – all other gears are excellent and have no downshift grinding. ...great price at $10,950 no trades - serious buyers only please.

YOUTUBE VIDEO: 1978 porsche 911sc conversion - YouTube

Last edited by groovzilla1959; 12-17-2012 at 07:07 AM..
Old 12-16-2012, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: