Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Cars For Sale

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Porsche Crest 1993 Porsche 968 Cabriolet (Red) - $7900

Red 968 Convertible (Cabriolet) - Tan Interior
*salvage title (purchased with salvage title from wrecking/clearance/impound yard) is why I am selling it for $7900 OR BEST OFFER (OBO).

Sold as is.
delivery? I could possibly get it to you personally, if it's drive-able from San Diego, California...otherwise, we might be able to work something as far as shipping out.

Extremely collectible car (very few 968 Cabriolets available in US). Car is mechanically sound, in excellent running condition and just passed smog. Honestly, we have put more than 8G's into the car to get it to the condition it is currently in. I'm in the market for a reasonable/utility car - not this great collector/hobbyist car. Whoever buys this from me will be getting a steal of a deal.

- Straight 4 cylinder, tons of power but, still managing to get over 20 mpg.
- 6 speed, 5th gear red-lines at around 80 something? so, if you're in 6th...you are probably having a lot of fun... i mean, speeding. it's against the law. be careful. ;]
- Replaced transmission, great working order (mileage on car is truly less than odometer)
- Replaced convertible top (new)
- Replaced gas tank
- New (couple years ago) paint job
- After-market exhaust
- Much other work done - have receipts. Primarily at Black Forrest and, recently, some work complete by Dieter's downtown.

copy/paste this link to see a video of me starting (and revving) the car:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tyli8ripfg06d0b/Video%20Apr%2018%2C%203%2054%2057%20PM.mov?dl=0

Work Needed:
Honestly, if someone put just a little time and effort into this car...it would be a gem. Weekend warrior, around town cruising with the top down, you know? :]

- clutch work (not replaced but, there's something funky with the pedal - diagnosed, not to serious/urgent, I could find the paper work, if interested)
- dent front left fender (I parked it outside overnight and I came to get it in the morning and there was a dent in it. No paint damage. If you have a cheap dent guy - this could be easily taken care of)
- trim pieces (it's the little bits inside, etc that would make it a totally cherry car)

I shared this on the craigslist post...but, I'm pretty sure you all would know this info...

----------------------------------------
Some Background on the model:
MPG: 17 city / 26 highway
Horsepower: 236 HP
Engine: 3.0L 4-cylinder
Fuel tank capacity: 19.6 gal
Dimensions: 171" L x 68" W x 50" H
Wheelbase: 94.5"

968 is powered by an updated version of the 944's straight-four engine, now displacing 3.0 L with 104 mm bore, 88 mm stroke and producing 240 PS (236 hp/177 kW). Changes to the 968's powertrain also included the addition of Porsche's then-new VarioCam variable valve timing system, newly optimized induction and exhaust systems, a dual-mass flywheel, and updated engine management electronics among other more minor revisions. The 968's engine was the second-largest four-cylinder ever offered in a production car up to that time. A new 6-speed manual transmission replaced the 944's old 5-speed.

The 968 was Porsche's last new front-engined vehicle (of any type) before the introduction of the Cayenne SUV. Its discontinuation in 1995 coincided with that of the 928, Porsche's only other front-engined car at the time. In 2010, Porsche released the Panamera a front-engined, 4-door sports-touring sedan. A successor to the 928, based on that sedan's architecture, is predicted to follow. The 968 was also the last Porsche sold with a four-cylinder engine (Final year 1995).

968 has nonetheless carved out its own niche in the hearts of enthusiasts.[3] This is likely due to the 968's unique combination of speed and practicality, and low production numbers.[3] Clean, low mileage examples have become extremely scarce and expensive by 2013. In April 2012, when the Gooding & Company bidding ended and the auctioneer's hammer finally fell, the only 1 Red 968 Turbo RS 350 hp machine had fetched a hefty $346,000 price.

------------------------------------

Feel free to contact me with any questions. I'm willing to entertain reasonable offers but, please don't waste both of our time. Thank you.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
968 , cabriolet , rare , restored , salvage