Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche Cayenne

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
JackOlsen

Cayenne?

Cayenne?

------------------
---------------
Jack Olsen
1973 911 T sunroof coupe
http://members.rennlist.com/jackolsen/Jalopy.html

Old 06-11-2000, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Willie

Cayenne= hot, a pepper usually ground and added to spicy dishes. Maybe reference to a hot car?
Old 06-11-2000, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
JackOlsen

I should have explained: it's the name Porsche is giving to the new SUV. The Porsche Cayenne.

------------------
---------------
Jack Olsen
1973 911 T sunroof coupe

Old 06-11-2000, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
BTW 88'911

That is the name of the new SUV? Great now mom can do the shopping in her " new Prosche" how lame! I guess they will sell a lot of them as SUV's are the in thing . Now anyone can say I drive a Porsche even if they can't drive.
BTW 88'911

------------------
Old 06-12-2000, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Willie

Perhaps they're going to build them in French Guiana, Cayenne is the capital; perhaps indicative of how much Porsche really wants to own an SUV indentity.
Old 06-12-2000, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Superman

the most important thing for the long term prospects of a major company is its focus on the Mission. Companies that try to change personality, are doomed to the lake of mediocrity. "Porsche" may never mean the same thing again.

------------------
'83 SC

Old 06-12-2000, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
JackOlsen

It's a shame. Porsche's 'brand identity' thusfar had been simple and strong: they made street cars that you could take on the track. Now, even if they benefit from cashing in on the novelty (see Lexus, BMW, etc.) of people thinking it's fun to have a glorified minivan made by a (formerly) one-purpose, high-end automotive company, they've forever muddied the waters of their name and identity. A Ferrari will always be a fast sports car. Nothing more. A Jaguar will always occupy that vague space between a touring car and a sports car. Saying you've bought a Porsche will now always require further description before peole know exactly what you're talking about.

And Cayenne? What the heck kind of a name is Cayenne?

I love my Porsche. I would love to buy more of them in the future. But the allure of the brand is certainly diminished by this kind of short-view, market-driven mindset.

------------------
---------------
Jack Olsen
1973 911 T sunroof coupe

Old 06-12-2000, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
patalive

hmmmmmm, I wonder if the PCA will have to institute a "special SUV" Green Run Group for the new Cayenne owners? Both hands on the wheel, no Starbucks nor cell phones during the run.
chuck
Old 06-13-2000, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
jryerson

Didn't Lamborghini make a LM2002 4 wheel drive Hummer looking vehicle, if POrsche made the SUV exotic it would be different but with sharing the same platform as a VW it will be as exotic as a rusty F-150 with muddy fenders
Old 06-13-2000, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Rufblackbird

Gee...Lamborghini did make a Hummer looking vehicle. I don't know about anyone else, but if I had the money and if Porsche stuffed a twin turbo in it with all wheel drive and lowered the SUV a few inches, I might consider getting it, that is when I make it in the computer industry real big and I've got kids to drive to baseball practice. I do agree that it doesn't belong on the racetrack, but then again....who knows?

------------------
Jeff
1976 911S
Old 06-14-2000, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Leland Pate

Lamborghini did (still might) make a SUV. As I remember it, it wasn't geared towards people who wanted an exotic SUV. At the time it wasn't the newest friggin' fad in the world to own a SUV. Of course you also have to take into account that something like 80% of Lambo's annual sales earnings is Farm equipment!
Yes Farm Equipment.

------------------
Leland Pate

___79 SC Targa
Old 06-14-2000, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
JackOlsen

The Lamborghini LM002 "War Wagon," was a military vehicle they manufactured for some army, like the Hummer, that -- again, like the Hummer -- became a novelty purchase for the super-rich. It was never seen as a consumer-targeted product.

It would kick the Hummer's butt, as I remember, in the quarter mile, though.

------------------
---------------
Jack Olsen
1973 911 T sunroof coupe

Old 06-14-2000, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
JackOlsen

The Lamborghini LM002 "War Wagon," was a military vehicle they manufactured for some army, like the Hummer, that -- again, like the Hummer -- became a novelty purchase for the super-rich. It was never seen as a consumer-targeted product.

It would kick the Hummer's butt, as I remember, in the quarter mile, though.

------------------
---------------
Jack Olsen
1973 911 T sunroof coupe

Old 06-14-2000, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: