Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche Cayenne

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
LeeH

I just read that the new Porsche SUV is going to be called "Cayenne"...

This might not be a bad name as the more I think about a Porsche SUV the more I get this queasy feeling in the stomach. Pepto Bismol anyone?

Old 07-01-2000, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
stray15

It isn't that big of a deal is it?
Old 07-01-2000, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
dw

Heresy!!!!

------------------
DW

89 Targa
Old 07-01-2000, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
LeeH

Well, we'll find out in a few years if it's "that big a deal" or not. Here's a few things to think about:

Porsche is spending $600 million on this thing and they are way late to the SUV game.

$60,000 is a lot of money for a truck. I attended a focus group of Porsche owners about the Porsche SUV. Everyone there thought it was a bad idea and had no interest in purchasing one.

Currently a lot of people are upset with Porsche for putting so much into this truck that they can't seem to find the time or money to race.

History suggests that people don't like their Porsches to have a VW connection... think 914.

As the business decision has been made, we can only hope for the best. It's true that sports cars are a fickle market... but who's to say SUVs are not?

Old 07-01-2000, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
L Sjoberg

Maybe "Cayenne" means "spicy Jeep" in German?!?!?!
Old 07-01-2000, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
stray15

This is just a way to make money. They are jumping on the SUV band-wagon like everyone else. This won't change their views on the superior cars we all love. Porsche has said that "they have never earned money racing, they race when they have money." Whats the problem with broadening the market and making some extra cash, so that they can race, and win.

And thats all I have to say bout that...till next time.

Tim
Old 07-01-2000, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
stray15

Good guess L Sjoberg, here is a quote from their press release: "Fact is: the term "cayenne" is understood world-wide as a synonym for spiciness, adventure and joie de vivre. It is precisely these attributes which, from Porsche's point of view, perfectly describe the characteristics of the new off-road Sports Utility Vehicle - the third model range after the 911 and the Boxster."

[This message has been edited by stray15 (edited 07-01-2000).]
Old 07-01-2000, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
JackOlsen

"Fact is: the term "cayenne" is understood world-wide as a synonym for spiciness, adventure and joie de vivre. It is precisely these attributes which, from Porsche's point of view, perfectly describe the characteristics of the new off-road Sports Utility Vehicle - the third model range after the 911 and the Boxster."

That really makes me want to puke.
Old 07-02-2000, 12:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
mark 74 carrera

I am with Jack on this one. I just don't see it working. Years from now people will note that you have a Porsche and you will add "Oh yea, but mine was made when they still built sports cars"!!
Old 07-02-2000, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
robh

The one thing I've been thinking is, what if they raced the sport ute? I know Porsche has already won the Paris-Dakar, but what race haven't they won? (the Daytona 500 comes to mind, but...).

That way, when the SUV wins races, Porsche can then turn around and advertise, "everyone else says their sport utes have this this and this, but how many of them have won the Paris-Dakar rally, or Pike's Peak, or any one of those kick-ass desert races, etc?

Win on Sunday, sell on Monday. It's been a proven fact long before I was around, but sadly, even as I type this, I just don't feel that Porsche will take the oppurtunity to continue their racing heritage with their suv (sux?)

[This message has been edited by robh (edited 07-02-2000).]
Old 07-02-2000, 11:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Early_S_Man

i suppose they could go after the Baja 1000, or other SCORE races, but I have serious doubts they want to put up the kind of bucks Toyota is putting in their off-road racing budget, and they would be starting from scratch with a new vehicle!

The whole project sounds too much like Robert McNamara and his idiot 'whiz-kids' gonna re-invent the whole DOD back in the '60's ... to me!

------------------
Warren Hall
1973 911S Targa
Old 07-03-2000, 12:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
JackOlsen

Are SUV buyers influenced by race results in the same way sportscar buyers are? I think to succeed with an SUV, Porsche is going to have to show strength in a market sector it's never even attempted before: it's going to have to sell cars to women.

An SUV is a family car. It's a minivan, for all intents and purposes, where the male half of the buying team might push for 4-wheel-drive, or more masculine styling, or better performance as an attempt to take back some of the ground he's surrendered in the first place by agreeing to get a car that is designed to get Timmy, Amber, and their friends to soccer practice. The percentage of SUV buyers that actually do any off-roading in their cars is minuscule. Everyone tells themselves they're buying it so the wife or daughter won't get caught in the snow or mud, and that they'll be safer in a collision -- but they're really buying it because they want a minvan, a car designed to hold the whole family comfortably. I'm not knocking this decision, mind you. When a big group needs to get somewhere, an SUV is a great way to go.

But, as such, these purchases are FAMILY purchases. Mercedes (and to a lesser extent, BMW, Lincoln and Cadillac) have done a good job of adding a little bit of a status symbol touch to their offerings, but the cars remain, when you get down to it, minivans. They are the cars that can hold the whole family when the road to Grandma's beckons.

So this leaves Porsche, which has never even (to my knowledge) had a marketing program targeting women at all, now in a position where it has to convince both heads of the household (including the half that consists of Porsche's most-long-ignored buyers) that it's got something significant to offer in their market. I don't think the company is going to succeed at that.

And as for the male half of the buying teams? Well, no one would ask a guy in a Mercedes SUV why he compromised and didn't get the sedan version of a Mercedes. I mean, the more Mercedes luxury and engineering the better, right? But a Porsche is defined, in most men's minds, as an indulgence that allows you to drive something that will both get you to work, and is at the same time very much like a race car in look and feel. In my view, I can't think of anyone buying a Porsche SUV who wouldn't be troubled by questions of why he didn't get a model that can actually DRIVE LIKE A RACE CAR.

Making the point even clearer: I think Mercedes is having (or has had) a version of its SUV tuned by its AMG division for better performance. Now, what percentage of its SUV sales does Mercedes expect the tuned version to account for? I don't know, of course, but I'm willing to bet that it doesn't go into double digits.

PORSCHE HAS TO SELL THAT KIND OF A CAR EVERY SINGLE TIME IT SELLS ONE OF ITS SUVs. They've sunk $600 million into something Mercedes is pursuing (at I'm sure not a 20th of that cost) for nothing more than European car-geek bragging rights.

It boils down to this: one of the things that has (in this writer's opinion) made the 911 so successful for so long is the fact that it ONLY HOLDS TWO PEOPLE, and that it has NONE of the refinements that women buyers tend to value. In other words, its chief value as an object is that it insulates you from (not involves you in) your significant other and her world. The mythology of the Porsche is that you're wife is happy to stay out of it, and that the 22-year olds who see it on the street fantasize about getting into it.

Whether or not there's any substance to that mythology (and let me apologize to all the women out there who fit the 'male' mold I'm describing -- I know that many of you exist), it's that mythology that generally defines the Porsche in the marketplace. A Porsche is -- to put it in an unfairly blunt way -- thought of as a midlife crisis car.

So: will male buyers be satisfied with a station wagon that has a lot of power, handles great, but still announces to the world that they take their wife's and children's needs seriously enough to get an enormous car that seats eight? Well, anything is possible, I suppose. And will female buyers suddenly decide that the hitherto woman-hostile marque of Porsche is suddenly going to make them seem more sophisticated than their Lincoln-Navigator-driving suburban neighbors? Well, maybe...

But I doubt it. I think the Cayenne is a colossal corporate blunder for Porsche. It hurts Porsche's (former) brand image of a performance car company that rarely compromises and often wins big races. And I don't think it stands to gain much by offering the status of its brand name to a market that pretty much represents everything Porsches have traditionally sped away from. Mercedes, BMWs, Lincolns and Cadillacs are LUXURY cars. In American's eyes they convey STATUS. Porsche is not seen that way. I don't think there are many soccer moms out there who think a Porsche minivan in the driveway is going to show the Joneses that the Millers have 'arrived.' A BMW minivan does do that.

There. Okay. That's off my chest. I apologize, here and now, to all the proud parents of twins who love soccer and love performance cars at the same time. You are allowed to think I'm full of crap. Maybe you're right, and a tow vehicle can be as sexy and fast as the sportscar it (logically) should be towing.

We'll see.

------------------
---------------
Jack Olsen
1973 911 T sunroof coupe
http://members.rennlist.com/jackolsen/Jalopy.html

[This message has been edited by JackOlsen (edited 07-03-2000).]
Old 07-03-2000, 01:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
old_skul

Oh no! I'm having a midlife crisis!

j/k Jack - well thought out and written. Get that in to Excellence and see if they'll print it.

------------------
Mark Szabo
1986 911 Targa 3.2
Old 07-03-2000, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
LeeH

Very well said Jack. I'm with Mark. Excellence would certainly print that.

The enhanced spy photos of this thing remind me of a Honda CRV more than anything. When I look at this picture there's little about it that makes me want to cough up $60K: http://www.webspan.net/~hummer/porsche/

Seems we've gone from "Porsche... there is no substitute." to "Porsche...we're just like everyone else." So when does the new 911 with the front mounted engine arrive?

Somebody stop me!
Old 07-03-2000, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
ClayMcguill

Mein Got in Himmel-is nothing sacred? Aren't there enough leather-lined, 7-passenger (but, sadly, usually only one-the driver), 5000 lb lane hogs on the road already? I realize the HUGE profit margins most of these vehicles generate, and the (perceived) need for Porsche to appeal to a wider audience, but something they seem to be forgetting is the respect the buying public has for brands that refuse to jump on every bandwagon that rolls by-brands that stick by what made them famous, and desirable in the first place. In Porsche's case, SPEED. Just plain, old fashioned, nothing-but-what-you-need-to-go-faster-and-last-a-good-long-time SPEED. When a person thinks about buying a Porsche, they think about jumping in, going fast, and looking good doing it. That's it. They don't worry about luggage capacity, or ground clearance, or rear-seat legroom. That's what OTHER cars are for-the ones that everybody ELSE drives, because they're trying to get one vehicle to do everything, and wind up with a vehicle that doesn't do anything very well-in other words, a comprimise. Hopefully Porsche will think twice before abandoning their heritage for some quick, easy profits---hopefully.
Old 07-03-2000, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
dw

There are plenty of off-roading, macho-men out there who'll probably want a Porsche SUV, is merely for the status the brand conveys. Probably lots of females too, for that matter, who'll want a status symbol to haul the kids and the maid in (think Rodeo drive and Beverly Hills). The fact that the AMC Hummer enjoys a following could mean that Porsche A.G. could hit it big, if they do it right (my god! What am I saying?? Excus me, I'm going to wash my mouth out with Drano now).

------------------
DW

89 Targa
Old 07-03-2000, 10:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
dw

BTW, the thing looks like a cat fish sucking air. It does not appeal to my sense of SUV macho-ness (like a Hummer or the Bimmer X5).

------------------
DW

89 Targa
Old 07-03-2000, 10:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Jack K

How soon can they bury that monstrous "thing" - together with the bloke who thought up the idea?
J
Old 07-03-2000, 11:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
1.2gees

I'll start by saying that I hate the fact that Porsche is building the darn SUV, and feel strongly of this stupid "image" thing...

Why would one want an SUV over a minivan? There are good minivans out there now, the Dodge Caravan AWD Turbo! Haha, that thing's pretty fun to drive interestingly, or the Honda's new minivan with about ~225hp is pretty good cruizer too... Yet most soccer mom's want the good ol explorer? It takes longer to stop, accelerates much slower, rides harsher, handles worse (this should be more than enough to offset it's crash worthy-ness, and that's only when you hit a car, besides, that's giving up your chanse to AVOID the accident!)is louder, uses more gas....etc I just don't get it!

BUT, I can picture the Mr. Happy FATER needing a large people mover, afterall, he's got kids to move around... Porsche is going to (or it better!) build the fastest, best handling, quickest stopping...etc SUV out there, and if you can only have one vehicle, yet like driving, and enjoying a fine, overengineered, well built car, (haha, or SUV!) than the Porsche SUV would make much sense. Than again, a BMW 5 series wagon is a much more suitable solution...
Ahmet

------------------
It's all the driver...

Old 07-04-2000, 01:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
LeeH

Wow, dw, I think you hit the nail on the head. I looked at the photo again and it DOES look like a catfish! Ick!

1.2degrees, you make some very good points. I have to admit that I am a closet mini-van fan. How liberating to say that in public. :-) The business that I used to own dictated a large vehicle for carrying stuff. It was clear that older Dodge minivans were everywhere and dirt cheap. Well after a few years behind the wheel, I came to terms with being seen in one and suggested to my wife we buy a newer, nicer one for everyday use.

She wouldn't hear of it. Even with a baby on the way (now 2.5 months old) my wife had no interest in a mini-van. The funny thing was we ended up in a 2000 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T sedan. After hauling baby gear around for a while, we both wish that we had looked harder at the Avant wagon!

Oh well. As I said in an earlier post, the decision has been made and we can only hope for the best. I bet a lot of guys who tow their 911s to the track will pick up the SUV just for the effect of pulling into the paddock with the Porsche towing the Porsche.
Old 07-04-2000, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: