Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche Cayenne

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

FUGLY. ****** UGLY.
Old 03-06-2002, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to 944S Boyeee
As an SUV owner - I can tell you just about everyone after Suzuki has gotten it wrong. The RAV4, the CRV, now the Porsche model.

When did SUV's become station wagons with high ceilings?? You want the perfect SUV look, it's the lil' ol' Suzuki Sidekick - not the big long Sidekick, but the soft top. This is the BEST Suv design of them all. Short front to back wheel ratio (good for climbing and such), wide body to prevent roll overs, and it's convertable. Who buys SUV's???.......Soccer mom's and "Beach/outdoor" people (and hunters and such). Every SUV should have great offroad capibility AND be functionable enough that it can be an all season vehicle (i.e. convertable).

I just don't know why the designers are sooooo sold on this "long tubular" look. It has to at least look rough. The Rav4, CRV and the Porsche look nothing like an SUV to me. Where is the "sport". I see the "Utility" and the "Vehicle", but no sport.

The first real SUV would have been the Jeep. It was convertable. Why did they go away from that? Everytime I see a non-convertable Sidekick, I ask myself - "What was that person thinking?" - why buy a Vehicle that is also available in a convertable model and not get the convertable?

To me, SUV = Suzuki Sidekick - the rest are just big powerful bastardizations of Station Wagons.
Old 03-06-2002, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Like they said it was inspired by the 959 rally car.... I dont call anything that goes 0-60 in 5.6 an SUV...i call it the SAV

Sports Activity Vehicle
Old 03-06-2002, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
SUV's aren't offroad vehicles...not modern ones. And with that in mind...this is one kick @$$ SUV. I personally like the Turbo model a LOT better than the 'S'. Much better looking
Old 03-06-2002, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nabeel
Haha, I was talking to my dad today and he mentioned that he saw photos of the new Porsche SUV. I asked him what he thought of it and he went on ranting for like 5 minutes about how ugly he thought it was.....just thought I'd share that.
Old 03-06-2002, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

OK -- I tried to stay away -- really!

1) It has what... maybe 2 more inches of clearance than my 951 -- Don't get off the shoulder of the freeway!

2) Subaru wagon

3) All SUV's suck! neither car nor truck nor serious off-road -- spew!

4) wheres the off-road tires.. see number 2

5) it's ugly

6) it's expensive

7) I agree, SUV's are going to go the way of the '74 Caddy Fleetwood

8) I won't be buying one
Fuchs
Old 03-07-2002, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

i must be high because i just had an haliucination that someone posted a suzuki sidekick was a good example of enginering an suv

i had a jeep wagoner and it was great for camping and four wheeling but thats when we called them trucks then they were yuppieized and became suvs trucks are great and serve a purpose its just the suv fad that sucks

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 03-07-2002, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

fugly LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 03-07-2002, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to overkill
I think it fuggin sucks! Porsche makes performance cars and they had to lower themselves to SUV's? What,.... is,..... up,..... WITH THAT! What just because BMW and MERCEDES made one, doesnt mean that porsche had to make one! If see one one the road I will not FLASH em! It not the same!
Old 03-07-2002, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to 944S Boyeee
Roger - no you're not high. I was the one who said the Sidekick was the best example of what an SUV SHOULD be. The engineering isn't exactly the best (engine is to small for what it should be and the body is flimsy).

SUV= Sports Utility Vehicle. I think they should be convertable, thus the "sport" aspect - like Jeeps and such. The "new" SUV is more of a Station Wagon with ground clearance.

I LOVE my Sidekick - can't stop the things in the snow or hill climbing (not very heavy) - put her in FWD Low and just drive thru what ever is in front of you. Good gas economy, "beachy" looking and drive like a fun go-cart. Only down-side I'd say is the body panels they used and the small engine. Also, lack of storage space and the capibility to put things in the back (without taking the seat out - you can flip it up, but it's still in the way). I think they covered these issues in the Rav4 and CRV (bigger engine and more interior space) - but they abandoned the convertable "sport" look.

That was my only point concerning the Sidekick - I like it's "look" over the solid-body type SUV's.
Old 03-07-2002, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: