Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche Cayenne

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I don't care about SUV, this one, another one, it doesn't apply to me at all (ninguna dinero, amigo).
I wish Porsche shares would (continue) to go UP.

So, good luck with the sales.

I wish Porsche would be big in racing, again.

PARIS-DAKAR !!! I think Porsche should be in a hurry for 2003.
Is it a challenge they would take up, so fast, with so much at stake??

They really have to do something convincing, FAST.

I'll bet the Porsche management must be having sleepless nights,
how much you wanta bet they're reading this thread hourly??

So I wish our marque "godspeed" !
Old 03-06-2002, 04:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

So many people on this board think that making a premium SUV will have a negative effect on the image of Porsche. I don't see why at all - it's an expensive, exclusive, desirable (to the target market, not the church mouse types that moan) high performance product. Whether the world needs another SUV is irrelevant. The world WANTS another SUV so Porsche has made this product and hopefully it will allow them to remain independent and continue to crank out supercars that I will aspire to and race cars that will conquer the circuits. I think Porsche would have done much more damage had they produced a model below the Boxster

Having said that, it does look bloody ugly to my eyes. That light treatment that works for the 996 looks plain stupid on the car and so does the clumsy arrangement of the intakes. The rear lights also make the car look very bland from the back and there is no flair in the whole design and I think it looks dated and will soon be outdated.

The best looking SUV to my eyes is the Mercedes GST concept which set for production in 2003

I don't think Porsche will sell many cars once this baby is in production no matter how well the Cayenne drives. The merc will beat the cayenne's power (5.5 v8 360bhp and supercharged 5.5 v8 470bhp) and also offer a 6sp auto like the cayenne.

I hope in pans out for Porsche the way they planned. They have stiff competition in this sector. Merc GST aside, they are also competing with the BMW X5 (possible), the Merc ML (Porsche is better imo), the Range Rover (it's much slower than the Cayenne), Merc s class, BMW 7 and Audi avantissimo.
Old 03-06-2002, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
I can't what for my region to host a Porsche/BMW/MB mud bog. We could add it to our next "multi event weekend".
Has someone/everyone at Porsche A.G. lost thier mind?
Old 03-06-2002, 04:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

i was dissappointed that porsche decided to make it.

but i think it will sell big here. the london yuppies love that type of vehicle. they all buy the bm's and rr's and half of them never get out of central london.

i don't want a SUV(?) but i'd go for the rr over all of them

oh, the best front end in all those pics - wasn't the SUV's (if you know what i mean )

'86 coupe

"there you are"
Old 03-06-2002, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Elfer Purist

I think the SUV thing is a kind of fashion trend that will die out sooner or later. Fine if Porsche wants to expand its model lineup...

But why pick the exact place in the market that is most cramped. There are SO MANY SUVs out there! Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, VW and so on.... Oh and the pic of the Audi A6 allroad is even worse. A luxury family sedan in "freak out" 4x4 version!!? Volvo has one too Thesecars are even more embarrassing than SUVs.

I don't like these "between two seats" cars. I think they are skizofrenic.
Old 03-06-2002, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Garage
Thumbs up

OK; I'll give it a luke-warm thumbs up and see how it ages/develops. There are a lot of ways that they could have made it ugly (see the Pontiac Aztec, I think it used all of them), and Porsche avoided them. Given that this is the first time that Porsche has actually released a 4-door anything, I'll give them credit for being conservative rather then mess it up. Could it have been more distinctive? Yes. Is it a failure design wise? No.

When the Honda Odyssey family/tow vehicle packs in it, I'll take a look at the Cayenne assuming that it can still fit the family, tow what I want to tow and fit the stuff I want to fit. Chances are I'll check out both new and used and make my choice at that time. As of today I don't see anything that disqualifies it from being a future purchase.

The bottom line, It looks like Porsche was batting for a single or double. I think that they got it. Now they have to turn it into a score.

Bring on the Paris-Dakar!!!!

"It's a poor craftsman who blames their tools" -- Unknown
"Any suspension -- no matter how poorly designed -- can be made to work reasonably well if you just stop it from moving." -- Colin Chapman
Old 03-06-2002, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)
Automotive Writer/DP

Garage
Thumbs down

I guess Porsche will put an "S" on anything now......
1972 S - Early S Registry #187
1972 T/ST - R Gruppe #51
http://randywells.com
http://randywells.com/blog
Old 03-06-2002, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Angry promote cayenne! dont bash it!

I have to admitt that i do like the look of an x5 alot more, but if i had the money and had to choose, i would still get cayenne for the performance and the fact that i am a porschephile. There is definantly not enough sports car look to this suv to match it's performance, the front is ok but the rear is horrible. I think that it will look alot different in person becuase people will get an appreaciation for its size. The pictures make it look like a vw golf if you squint but in person i think we all might feel a bit different.

Porsche is just trying to tap the market, you can't blame them. lets all be glad that since Porsche decided to make an suv, they made a porsche suv. come on: 165 mph top speed and 0-60 in 5.6? You can't argue with those stats. Porsche knows that they need these sales either to survive or at least to expand so if this 2003 cayenne doesn't sell they will soon change the look to something that says 165 miles per hour alot better. You also have to realize that, yea it looks bad, but it must be doing something right because its a freakin suv with good enough aerodynamics and reduced drag to keep up with a brand new corvette.

So lets not all go bashing cayenne to all of our friends and saying what a horrible suv it is. Porsche needs the money, if they didnt they would not have done this. Promote it...we dont need another near bankruptcy like the 959 project in the late eighties. If Cayenne is sucessful then i think we will see a 998 or other new gt model very soon.

-scott
Old 03-06-2002, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
I just received these pics from Porsche ths am. I'm still not impressed!

'73 911T: 2.4/ PMOs/ Electromotive Ignition
'03 Audi A4 Quattro Wagon
Old 03-06-2002, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Kurt B Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt B
This car will sell, I hope.

I hated 996s, and now they look like Porsches. Of course, I see 5 or 10 of them every single day.

My car is starting to look like a classic as it should. I'm evolving.

I like the Cayanne. Everyone is going crazy about how it looks and what it is long before it's been presented and test driven.

Porsche is neck deep with this. If it fails, partly due to constant bad mouthing by the purists (who get the most press on the matter) while its performance and reviews are stellar (as I expect them to be), then we are nothing more than a bunch of reactionary miscreants.

What's more, we're going to damage the automaker who created our cars.

It's simple. Porsche are brilliant engineers. If they successfully apply that brilliance to a new market and crush the competition, then they succeed in a very Porsche way. If we reject that success and cause a 928esque backlash, Porsche will suffer financially.

We ought not do this if it Performs. Performance is Porsche. Out-of-yer-@ss-opinions has never been.

If the Cayanne is good, let it be good.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Garage
Had anybody heard if the Cayanne has an adjustable height suspension like the Audi?

Anybody know the weight? or towing capacity?

The SUV market shows no sign of shrinking. Volvo, and Honda both have new ones in 2003, BMW sales are strong, and there is a six month wait to get an Acura MDX (I'm in month two of my wait).

Here's the new Volvo

We don't wonder where we're going or remember where we've been.

Last edited by wckrause; 03-06-2002 at 10:54 AM..
Old 03-06-2002, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Garage
Had anybody heard if the Cayanne has an adjustable height suspension like the Audi?

I was wondering that too. I heard a while back that the Cayenne was supposed to have that suspension, which may explain the VERY low ground clearance seen in these photos.

Does anyone know anything about the Audi system? How much variability does it offer? Enough to make a Dakar racer out of a station wagon? I hope so.

Side note, if Porsche races and wins using this vehicle, will that silence the purists?
Old 03-06-2002, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)
Administrator

Dissent from the purists is part of what keeps the whole endeavor vital. If we left it up to Porsche, the 911 would have been replaced long ago. In fact, outside of the 911, the company has shown a remarkable gift for poor styling, marginal performance, and bone-headed business strategies.

Even if you put the 944/951 and 914/916 in the plus column, you've still got a whole lot of scrap metal left over on the other side. Not that the other cars are without merit, but come on... Ferrari could throw its badge on a 924 and sell a lot of cars, too. That doesn't make it a good idea.

Would it shut me up if Porsche won Paris-Dakar? No, not if it means abandoning sportscar and prototype racing. It would be fun to see Porsche winning top fuel quarter mile drag races, too -- but it's also beside the point. The company continues to drift from its core strengths. That its current lineup consists of the Boxster, the 996 and the 996 Turbo (and now the Cayenne?) doesn't fill me with a lot of hope.

This is a company that once made incredible, nimble sports cars. Now it makes luxury GT cruisers and SUVs. Porsche's corporate greed might dictate that it continue to sing and dance for whatever carrot (it thinks) the marketplace is dangling in front of it -- but this is not the kind of thinking that drove the company when they started making sports cars in the aftermath of the second world war. That they bravely chose to make performance cars when the entire German economy was on the brink of collapse just heightens the absurdity of their current argument that an SUV is vital to their continued survival as a company. Let me get this straight. Surrounded by a nation that was starving, they found a way to make sports cars. But now, when the global economy is strong, and they're already the most profitable automobile manufacturer on the planet, they need to finance themselves with station wagons.

Give me a break, Porsche.
Old 03-06-2002, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

The Edict came from the top of Mount Weissach many years ago, delivered on a Stone Tablet from Dr. Porsche himself:

"At Porsche, we only build sports cars."

Oh well, I guess he's dead now and there's a new beancounter in town.
Old 03-06-2002, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Garage
I like it!! I want to rally race it! All that power and killer suspension would make it crush the competition in any So-Cal rally race. Add skid plates, cage, odo, and lights. The problem is that the only buyers are going to Starbucks before picking up the kids from prep school. Maybe a gravel parking lot at the horse stable. All that awsome tech wasted... If anyone can fold the cup holders and get one off road it should rock. It's not Porsche's fault that rich people tend to be lame. The just make what people want to buy. Alex
1993 Ford Super Duty Racecar Hauler
Old 03-06-2002, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Bill - the sideways view of the "new" Volvo looks just like the sideways view of the (now) "old" Jeep Wagoneer. Do you think?

Jack - Amen, amen, amen.
Old 03-06-2002, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Kurt B Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt B
Can't really disagree with Jack on that. Porsche is going to change forms here a little bit at least.

And something or nothing will happen as a result of it. Maybe they'll throw the money away in racing. Maybe they won't and have mixed results. Maybe they'll try and introduce another line of cars later on--or maybe it'll end with the SUV.

However, the free market of the planet will find Porsche's weak spot if there is one and fill the niche they leave. Someone will take us away from Porsche if there is any way to.

If Porsche does lose the exclusivity, then yep, I'm outa here. I'm paying for the word "Porsche" the same way a woman pays for some Italian-named pair of shoes. I will freely admit that. I'd cruise around for an old Ferrari and learn those. Or maybe some other Italian car.

If they dillute their name too much, then they'll become something else and someone else will take their place here. Maybe a new car company, who knows, but they cannot stray too far. I am willing to give them this so far, but I'll end the generosity here.
Old 03-06-2002, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Garage
The way I see it, how does the Cayenne detract from (or add to) the enjoyment that I get out of my 79 911SC?

Not a single bit.

Unless you're only into Porsches for their status, then why worry about how the status of Porsche might be tarnished.

We don't wonder where we're going or remember where we've been.
Old 03-06-2002, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)
911 user

Well said Jack and Kurt B.

Everytime Porsche took the enthusiast for granted it got into trouble. This time it seems to have done it big time.

My other car is also a Porsche.
Old 03-06-2002, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Garage
If Porsche had listened only to enthusiasts, they probably would have never made the Boxster, which by most accounts has saved Porsche from financial ruin.

I'm not saying the Cayenne will save Porsche, but that enthusiasts are not always right when it comes to business. Of course, Porsche's board isn't always right either, not by a long shot.
Old 03-06-2002, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: