Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche Cayenne

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

The Cayenne is a HUGE mistake.

In the auto biz, IMAGE is everything. Porsche owners seek to distinguish themselves by driving a car made by a company committed to sport car design.

If you lose your image, you lose your edge. The R&D money spent on the Cayenne should have been spent on the racing program.

A neighbor of mine who is shopping for a sportscar just told me he is no longer considering a Porsche. He said, "I think I'll look at a used Ferrari. I don't think they'll be making a station wagon any time soon."
Old 03-05-2002, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Moses, you almost have it right. Try this: "In the auto biz, IMAGE AND SALES are everything."
Old 03-05-2002, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Maybe if we ignore it. I mean never ever mention it or ever look at it again, it will go away quietely.

Porsche won the Dakar with a Porsche, but what the hell is this contraption.

Whoever penned it is conclusive proof that birth control sometimes fails - I hate it!
Old 03-05-2002, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have the same conclusion. The most common mistake that kills a large, healthy, established company is image confusion. I want to assume that Porsche knows what it is doing, but I cannot reach that conclusion.

My fear is that the boys in Stuttgart are the finest automotive engineers in the world, but second rate marketers.
Old 03-05-2002, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

This is also...

a very late entry into the already crowded SUV market. Terrible mistake.
Old 03-05-2002, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You know, you line up the BMW MX5 and the Lexus and now the Cheyenne and what do you have? Porsche lost it on this one. I see Mitsubishi's looking like Boxsters head on now and a SUV with an incredible unappealing name. All I think of is "pepper" !! Talk about a robust aggressive name that should represent performance, handling and engineering excellence! I like Edsel better.

Their market research must have indicated something positive and the buyer profile has certainly changed. I am sure these will be sold in the numbers probably predicted. The showrooms will now have a new breed of buyers deciding, Landrover, BMW, Lexus, Porsche or Hummer? Hot dogs for the kids, ballons for everyone and a free poster for the kid.......How about that video player screen overhead, wow rear compartment air conditioning, places to plug in the stereo headphones.......satellite uplink, email and night scope..................GIS, GPS and so on.

After twenty five years of driving Porsches...........I am witnessing a change I never would have predicted. I guess we are entering a new error after all. I wish Porsche luck and success, however, if this establishes a new paradigm in thinking and new direction.........hang onto your SC's and Carrera's and the older models that truely represent this great marque. The times they are a changing................

Just my thoughts fellas..

Regards
Bob

73.5 T
Old 03-05-2002, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Imagine if time stood still and things never changed. Then we could all pretend we lived in another time. But the reality is all porsche and any other automaker really want is your money. I think it will be a success. Its not 1970 guys. Racing is nascar, a new porsche is a status thing to most now. Maybe not to you or me but to most. By the way I love my ugly Boxster
Old 03-05-2002, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest

This $50,000 station wagon does not deserve the Porsche name badge. Is this really German engineering at its best??
Old 03-05-2002, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Just checking to see if I can post this picture of the Ferrari station wagon. (AKA "breadvan"). All good car makers have a temporary lapse of judgement. Usually it is short lived.

Chuck
Old 03-05-2002, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
yeah, the Cayenne is a tactical error.
Sure their sales will be higher but Porsche and SUV in the same sentence? I dont think so! They are also 5 years too late in the SUV craze.

Porsche is no longer a niche player in the exclusive sports car market....now the SUV, later it will be the 450 HP Mini-Van!

The data in the CD-type disc decodes easily into ASCII computer text as follows, using 8 bit binary:
"Beware the bearers of FALSE gifts & their BROKEN PROMISES. Much PAIN but still time. (Damaged Word). There is GOOD out there. We OPpose DECEPTION. Conduit CLOSING (BELL SOUND)”
The damaged word would appear to be intended as “BELIEVE”.
Old 03-05-2002, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Porsche Crest Cayenne

As much as I enjoy my '69 911, I don't forget that Porsche did create the early 924 too. Uuggh! At least the Cayenne is powerful...
Old 03-05-2002, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Porsche did create the early 924 too. Uuggh!

The 924 begat the 944, which begat . . .

This truck may not be all bad. Just look at the engine to start.
Old 03-05-2002, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

People have for the last 10 years been saying that every new entry into the SUV market was "five years too late." So far, they've all been dead wrong. Don't get me wrong, I hate trucks and wouldn't own one...oh jeez, my wife does have that damn RAV4...but it is amusing to listen to the Porsche Faithful bewail the arrival of this "imposter." Much as I hate to admit it, I think you're all going to be munching on crowbones in a couple of years.

Stephan
Old 03-05-2002, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Lightbulb

I'm not sure why, but the wisdom of the 20th century philosopher Rodney Dangerfield, from his immortal work "Caddyshack," pop into my mind every time I see a Pepperwagen:

"That's why tigers eat their young"

and

"Nice pants...But hey, they look good on you"

C'mon Porsche.
Old 03-05-2002, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
To add to the image confusion, don't forget about Pepper's sister - the upcoming Volkswagen SUV. Will look nearly the same but will sport an innovative 12 cylinder motor in a W configuration for the top of the line version!! If I were SUV shopping, I'd rather have the VW! -- Curt
Old 03-05-2002, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
911 user

Porsche has made a lot of money from the Boxter and 996. They will probably make evan more from the SUV - at the price of credibility with the enthusiast market.

If it's as fast around the 'ring as hearsay says, then every 996 owner who bought it as a sportscar should sue Porsche.

Porsche's image is sportscar. Start using the name to sell an SUV and they start diluting the brand. OK it might win an event like Paris Daker, but Peugeot won the East african Safari with a 4 door saloon for years, that didn't make the Peugeot a sportscar or an enthusiast car.

On the bright side, think how much Cayenne's will depreciate and how much real 911s will appreciate!

My other car is also a Porsche.
Old 03-06-2002, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Wink

so ummm... what do you SUV-hating guys think of the Porsche 597 then? Porsche was off-roading in 4-wheel drives long before the 911 was leaking oil on garage floors worldwide.

obin
Old 03-15-2002, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: